Famous (and infamous) people.. who are pilots

I saw a Documentary on Emerson,Lake and Palmer and it showed the now passed Kieth Emerson piloting a Piper.

Wikipedia....

Keith Noel Emerson (2 November 1944 – 11 March 2016) was an English keyboardist, ..... Emerson enjoyed flying as a hobby, and obtained his pilot's licence in 1972

Not sure if anyone said it yet, but I believe Tom Poston (George on Newhart) was a pilot in WWII.

Did he come over to your house or just over your house.?? :lol::lol:
Actually, he brought his giant motorhome towing his giant trailer, all painted with EK stuff. His daughter was insufferable. I modified a Honda CBX motorcycle for him, to hold a golf bag and fit his tortured body. Whilst he sat in a lawn chair talking to the huge crowd that had gathered. Including the local cops. (I used to work for a very large motor vehicle chain, and he was friends with the boss. But EK wasn't really the type to be a close friend, if you know what I mean.)

But EK wasn't really the type to be a close friend, if you know what I mean.)

As a kid I didn't want to be him, I wanted to emulate him.

Since I wasn't very good a jumping garbage cans with my bicycle, I didn't think I should try it with a motorcycle...

As much as I love flying, I have no interest in dying in an airplane. Preferably of very old age, in my sleep.

Well, of course there’s the option of dying in your sleep while flying.... :)

Just saw that Robert Conrad passed away. I believe he was a pilot, also. I enjoyed Wild Wild West and Black Sheep when I was a kid.

Just saw that Robert Conrad passed away. I believe he was a pilot, also. I enjoyed Wild Wild West and Black Sheep when I was a kid.

A gent over on Beechtalk knew him and said Conrad had a very nice Malibu.

From airman registry - I would have thought Baa Baa Blacksheep would have inspired him to get it before 1986!

Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT
Date of Issue: 7/27/1986

Ratings:
PRIVATE PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

A gent over on Beechtalk knew him and said Conrad had a very nice Malibu.

From airman registry - I would have thought Baa Baa Blacksheep would have inspired him to get it before 1986!

Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT
Date of Issue: 7/27/1986

Ratings:
PRIVATE PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

That was probably when he added the instrument rating.

Yup. I seem to remember reading stories about Conrad buzzing the Black Sheep set (out in the California hills) with some kind of twin-engine piston.

One unfamous pilot.

Luther J. Figgpucker.

Student pilot.

Known for passing massive amounts of flatus in the cockpit and rendering instructors unconscious.

Unable to finish PPL due to no DPE would get in the plane with him.

Eventually found success as founder of mask toilet spray scents.

https://maskco.com/

(not a rick roll)

Steve McQueen owned a Stearman and a Pitcairn during his last days. He was being taught to fly by Sammy Mason at Santa Paula airport in So Cal. If he hadn't of passed away I'm sure he would have continued flying. Hard to believe it's been almost 40 years since his passing.

Aaron Tippin

Tippin is also an A&P. Maybe also with inspection privs?

Recorded the “commercial” for his appearance at SnF for Dave at SnF Radio years ago, and still remember the copy I was sent to read.

Have the original recording around here on a hard drive somewhere.

Too lazy to go look in the FAA database. :)

Did I mention that Evel Knievel used to come over to my house?
I stood in line next to him in the DMV once getting my driver's licence renewed. :)

Lorenzo Lamas I understand flies or at least used to fly Grand Canyon helicopter tours.....

I am watching a series on Amazon called "the amazing world of aviation". Enjoying it so far; I'm about halfway through the first of 13 episodes. VERY detailed, maybe to a fault.

Anyway, I was surprised to learn that Harry Houdini was among the earliest pilots. In fact he shipped his plane to Australia and made the first powered flight on that continent.

F Lee Bailey, the famous attorney. Flew Sabre jets in the Korean war, and pretty much flew anything that flew including his own fleet of Rockwell Commanders (690B's) and Lears. Owned Enstrom helicopter company for many years too.

I'm surprised it took so long to mention Steve McQueen . I think George Kennedy bought his C-182, and I think William Devane owns it now? Lonie Anderson. Christopher Reeves.

Not sure if Sam Walton has been mentioned, but he put his planes to pretty good use on his way to success. Love the stories of him flying around the country, visiting his stores unannounced.

Famous Navion Owners: Arthur Godfrey, Mickey Rooney, "Barfin'" Jake Garns.

Not sure if Sam Walton has been mentioned, but he put his planes to pretty good use on his way to success. Love the stories of him flying around the country, visiting his stores unannounced.
Never heard that before. I heard many years ago that he would sometimes hop into one of the trucks delivering to a store to arrive unannounced.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Hey folks,
Reading Tom Cruise is pilot got me wonder what other famous celebrities (or notorious people) ... were pilots?

Tom Cruise actually visited my workplace a while back and arrived in his P51 Mustang. He was here in relation to filming for the Top Gun Sequel. Somewhere I have pictures of him with his plane on arrival and him taxiing out for take-off when leaving. They kept it amazingly quiet that he was coming, much less how and why. He also autographed a "piece of equipment" while he was here.

Back