b

And he would not have been convicted except the cops are corrupt, the prosecutor was having sex with his ex-wife and the judge was his ex father-in-law?

Look up 14 CFR 61.153(c).
Meeting the low bar for good moral character as defined by the FAA (which to my knowledge, hasn't prevented anyone from obtaining an ATP in recent memory) is one thing, getting hired on by an airline is another. I would direct the OP to contact potential employers directly and determine what their hiring requirements are.

I suspect the career opportunities for a convicted felon are restricted to the wide world of unskilled labor.

I'm sorry, what felony was your friend convicted of?

Each state has methods for obtaining rehabilitation such as post conviction relief statutes and pardons.

Your friend should contact an attorney who specializes in these areas and get a consultation. It may be the felony can be erased, or expunged.

My friend was involved in a motor vehicle accident which took someones life. There were no alcohol or drugs involved on his part. The person of the other car was charged with DUI for alcohol and a controlled substance. He has never had anything on his record besides this, and is a pretty good guy.
Im trying to understand this. If your friend wasn’t involved with alcohol or drugs, but the person in the other car was, than why does your friend have this on his record?

It was a terrible mistake he made and will stay with him. He was charged with vehicular manslaughter gross negligence. It has been many years and he is speaking with an attorney to have the Felony expunged. But does it matter that much if it is expunged because he still has to disclose it to all companies that he applies for because they will find it in the FBI background check.

1) Obtain your FBI file, I believe they have links on their website.
2) Often with state level offences (maybe always) the only tracks left with the FBI is the fact that they have your fingerprints.
3) In most cases expungements and pardons relieve the beneficiary of the need to disclose (except USCIS/CBP/ICE).
4) When/if you get post conviction relief, be sure the FBI is notified, they will expunge everything except you fingerprints.

Good Luck

My friend was involved in a motor vehicle accident which took someones life. There were no alcohol or drugs involved on his part. The person of the other car was charged with DUI for alcohol and a controlled substance. He has never had anything on his record besides this, and is a pretty good guy.

I know ATP is based on good moral character, but he has already been turned down from a 135 job because of it.
How is that possible, if someone else was charged? He must have been also charged. A simple reckless operation can be a red flag.

the whole story doesn’t make sense.

Given what we know now, I think it kind of does. I am not a lawyer or any kind of criminal law expert by any means, but:

Driver 1 is DUI and hit-and-runs something or someone.
Driver 2 sees this happen and chases after Driver 1, at least to get the license plate or try to stop him, etc.
Driver 1 goes around a curve too fast, skids off the road and hits a pole. Perhaps is injured but still alive.
Driver 2 also goes around the curve too fast, skids off the road and hits Driver 1, fatally injuring him.
Driver 1 was DUI but it was Driver 2's decision to chase him that resulted in the fatal injury.

I could see this being charged as vehicular manslaughter, given my layman's understanding of the term.

What a horrible tragedy all around. And honestly, I could see my younger self setting chase too.

Given what we know now, I think it kind of does. I am not a lawyer or any kind of criminal law expert by any means, but:

Driver 1 is DUI and hit-and-runs something or someone.
Driver 2 sees this happen and chases after Driver 1, at least to get the license plate or try to stop him, etc.
Driver 1 goes around a curve too fast, skids off the road and hits a pole. Perhaps is injured but still alive.
Driver 2 also goes around the curve too fast, skids off the road and hits Driver 1, fatally injuring him.
Driver 1 was DUI but it was Driver 2's decision to chase him that resulted in the fatal injury.

I could see this being charged as vehicular manslaughter, given my layman's understanding of the term.

What a horrible tragedy all around. And honestly, I could see my younger self setting chase too.
So under your explanation, they would have charged a dead guy (driver 1) with DUI.

Driver 1 had multiple people in car. The driver is not the one who passed away. Driver one was intoxicated and had taken some type of narcotics earlier that night.
Um yeah, ok. I guess I wonder why you would even mention all that. If I was explaining for my friend, I would simply say, "He hit someone with his car, killing them." But then he wouldn't be the hero like he is in your story.

Sorry, but I'm declaring COMPLETE BS!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back