Logging SIC time outside of the USA under foreign rules: will it count back in the USA?

YooperMooney

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CapellaXS
I’ve been perusing some SIC gigs in Canada (I’m legally allowed to work there). If it is legal there to log SIC in the right seat of a King Air 200 due to the OPSPEC, would a US airline count the time? Basically what bearing does flight activity logged overseas (while flying under foreign rules) have when using it to show experience in the States?
Like if Air Kenya put me in the right seat of a A350 with 700TT and I were to log 2000 SIC turbine there, etc would that time count here?

It’s probably more complicated than it needs to be so I’m not going to present this as being in any way the right answer for your situation...

flying for an airline as a type rated ATP equivalent pilot overseas does not count as part 121 experience in the USA. My sim partner at last airline gig had a full type on the A320 with over 3000 hours in type. He started at the same spot as a 1300 hour CFI in the US.

I’m guessing if 3000 hours in an Airbus and a type rating doesn’t count then pulling gear in a single pilot turboprop is most likely not going to help much.

that said... who knows. You’re talking about the government. That king air time might count as double the experience.

For the purposes of evaluating ("counting") certain kinds of flight time towards the minimums required for a pilot job, the airline's internal definition of PIC, SIC, and total time often isn't exactly in line with the FAA's definition. The best way to proceed would be to ask the specific air carrier in question.

For the purposes of evaluating ("counting") certain kinds of flight time towards the minimums required for a pilot job, the airline's internal definition of PIC, SIC, and total time often isn't exactly in line with the FAA's definition. The best way to proceed would be to ask the specific air carrier in question.
:yeahthat:

The situation I referenced was not internal policy but regulatory. I agree with your post in that company policy is variable and just as important but the fine people at the FAA have rules too.

So from a regulatory standpoint, 121/135 experience can only be accrued at an actual FAA certified 121/135 operator? Seems like leaving the US isn't worth it unless theres a fat monetary incentive. I regret not applying at Canuck flight schools when I was young as their education is heavily subsidized. I could have saved probably 50-60 grand.

So from a regulatory standpoint, 121/135 experience can only be accrued at an actual FAA certified 121/135 operator? Seems like leaving the US isn't worth it unless theres a fat monetary incentive. I regret not applying at Canuck flight schools when I was young as their education is heavily subsidized. I could have saved probably 50-60 grand.
All I know is my sim partners time at LAN flying the bus counted not for being eligible for upgrade. He’s pulling gear for guys that have 1000 at the regional and think they are hot ****... he has more time in the Airbus than they do total time and he’s still waiting to upgrade because he needs 1000 hours of air carrier time .... retarded if you ask me.

man that restricted ATP Jazz happened well after I already had my ATP. I really don’t know how all that crap works. Never bothered to look it up. Sounds like a bunch of ****e

Last edited:
retarded if you ask me.
That is beyond retarded. I seem to recall a guy around here awhile back who went and did this exact thing. Some foreign carrier offered a position on a wide body and he was going to use it to build time since he was too low of time to qualify here in the US and then come back at some point down the road and get on with a major here. That would bite like a b**** if it was all in vain.

So from a regulatory standpoint, 121/135 experience can only be accrued at an actual FAA certified 121/135 operator?
I'm not sure what you mean by that. What FAA certificates, ratings or privileges require a certain amount of 121/135 experience?

Let's go back to your first example:

If it is legal there to log SIC in the right seat of a King Air 200 due to the OPSPEC, would a US airline count the time? Basically what bearing does flight activity logged overseas (while flying under foreign rules) have when using it to show experience in the States?
As already said, a US airline might or might not count the time as valuable experience for the job. But that's not "regulatory." "Regulatory" is whether, for example, the FAA would count the non-stick time in that King Air toward, say, the 1500 hour requirement for the ATP, or the 50 pilot hours/100 cross country hours required to act as PIC in a Pat 135 operation.

The answer to that one is probably no (there may be some agreements or exemptions floating around I don't know of). That's because to count time toward FAA certificates, ratings, and privileges, the FAA's rules on counting time need to be followed. That seems pretty straightforward.

OTOH, it works both ways. There's no requirement an airplane be registered, located, or operated in the US in order to count flight time. If what you did meets FAA definitions of what counts (is loggable), Canadian rules don't matter either. Sticking with that King Air, which requires no type rating, all of the time you were the pilot flying is countable as PIC flight time in the US, regardless of Canadian logging rules.

Back