Radio Thieves

How much of a market can there be for avionics without the trays?
A good portion of them go out the country where there is a robust black market. Same with aircraft.

Also trays sell for a couple hundred, used 430's sell for several thousand. You buy a tray, pair it with a radio you stole and still end up with a pretty good ROI.

ADSB should be the one thing that's very easy to track, right?
you would think so. But waas enabled gps, not so much. Then again, mabe being sold out of the country? I dunno what goes through the mind of a thief.

You guys are putting way too much thought into this. They don't care if it even works. Sell a stolen radio on ebay without a tray, get cash, walk away from ebay account. All it takes is an email address and the crook doesn't care about feedback. As soon as they have the money, they are gone and came out ahead.

Just one more simple lock for the thief to pick, and then he has privacy for doing his thing. Too many hangars are locked with typical household hardware instead of stout hasps and good padlocks on steel doors in steel frames.

Hmmm..... Then I wonder why I’ve never heard of anything being stolen out of a hangar? Over the years I’ve heard of quite a few items stolen from tied down aircraft, but nothing out of hangared aircraft. Admittedly my personal observation is anecdotal compared to the aggregate, but I think it is probably representative.

Actually though, the risk of theft IMHO is a small portion of the negatives when it comes to tying down vs. hangaring. If I were forced to tie down in the open I might not own an airplane at all, but if I did, it wouldn’t have fresh paint, interior and a nice panel. Watching all that rot into the ground in the weather would be a sight too depressing for me to tolerate.

Back