I guess the airline recruiters don't know your age...

IK04

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
LNXGUY
I received three offers from airline recruiters yesterday.

They must use the FAA airman's registry to scout for ATP pilots. I checked and there is no birthday on the registry or the airman's certificate.

Too bad I'm 30 years too old to pursue an airline career. ;)

If they can get 2 years out of you and you are qualified to sit left seat they will hire you. They are losing Captains quicker than their FO's are eligible for upgrade.

As long as you can get your walker through the cabin door you're good to go!

Recently our FTU lost a 55-year old career instructor to the airlines. She loved to teach, and did some freelance corporate jet flying. Made her an offer she couldn't refuse and she's now off getting a type rating on their dime (or is that "on their AMU"?).

I took my address off my FAA listing so I’d stop getting junk mail from the commuters. It was bad 3 years ago, can’t imagine how bad it is now.

A lot of the current pilots at my company still get postcards from other airlines. My dad who flies for Delta got a postcard from GoJet or Expressjet (can’t remember which one) a few months ago :D. There was a 60ish year old in my new hire class a few years ago.

If they can get 2 years out of you and you are qualified to sit left seat they will hire you. They are losing Captains quicker than their FO's are eligible for upgrade.

A friend of mine went to a regional at 62.5 years of age. When they wanted to move him to the left seat, he asked to remain in the right seat, and they said Ok. He really didn't want to be the low seniority man at 64 years of age.

Every time that I renewed my Commercial Class A drivers medical and 3rd Class FAA medical, I would get a new set of calls and letters for job opportunities.

I called one of the largest companies, who had been contacting me nearly once a month, and asked them to take me off their list, as I was 70.

The response surprised me. They are intentionally recruiting drivers that old.

They show up on time, every scheduled day
They show up sober every time
They drive slower, get fewer tickets
They do not get complaints from the public about continuous left lane cruising
They spend more time on cruise control, which saves gas

Negatives
They do take long vacations, several times a year, but let you know in advance
They do take sick leave more often
Some have a preferred shift, which is not negotiable
Like younger drivers, they want to be back home regularly
They are not going to fake their hours to run in excess of the rules, no matter how important the customer

One of my wife's work friends took up truck driving after retiring at 60, earned his class A commercial, and drove to 75

I never responded to any flying offers, as I was never willing to fly at someone eases convenience, there is too much weather decisions that must be made that result in flying in perfectly legal weather, but marginal safety wise. I was too old and wise to get into that part of life.

Flying someone I knew, in their plane, because I had the IFR capability, and they did not, continued to be fun, though.

I took my address off my FAA listing so I’d stop getting junk mail from the commuters. It was bad 3 years ago, can’t imagine how bad it is now.

Wait, you mean the majors are not snail mail spamming you? buh buh buh pilot shartage!!!

A friend of mine went to a regional at 62.5 years of age. When they wanted to move him to the left seat, he asked to remain in the right seat, and they said Ok. He really didn't want to be the low seniority man at 64 years of age.

This your friend by any chance?
upload_2020-2-17_14-53-1.png

Tell that boomer to pay his dues! I keed I keed. :D /TC

I've known several pilots that when Eastern and Pan Am went under they were hired on by other airlines. They refused upgrade when their time came for seniority reasons. As one said he's not going to sit reserve in upper Sloberland for the rest of his career.

Back