Ever had anything stolen out of your airplane?

Find some fingerprints, talk to local places with cameras, basically do their job.

I'm not even so convinced that does much good.
Only one story so might not mean much in every case....
My brother in law once had his truck broken into sitting in his driveway. Scum Bag got a credit card and a ball hat, and I think a small handgun. Maybe some other stuff, don't remember.
Cops basically didn't do much...the way BIL tells it anyway, they seemed to have the attitude "maybe we'll get to it some day"
SO, BIL puts on his detective hat. Finds out that just after the approx time of the robbery, the card was used at a convenience store nearby. BIL goes and reviews the security cam footage, and the scum bag was wearing the hat when he used the card! Somehow he was able to even figure out who they guy was....but as far as I know the cops never did pursue it.

You fancy guys have keys to your plane?

EDIT: Knowing how to open the tipper canopy is a bit of a deterrent

Last edited:
After living in New Orleans for 4 years, I learned that it is best never to leave anything of value in a locked car. Windows would be bashed in just to get a pencil. Best just to keep the doors unlocked. The best deterrent to having your car stolen was to have a standard instead of an automatic transmission. Nobody knows how to drive a standard anymore. Most standard cars would be found 10 feet from where the car was parked. I leave the plane unlocked, doors and windows are expensive to fix, and just remove the valuables.

I'm not even so convinced that does much good.
Only one story so might not mean much in every case....
My brother in law once had his truck broken into sitting in his driveway. Scum Bag got a credit card and a ball hat, and I think a small handgun. Maybe some other stuff, don't remember.
Cops basically didn't do much...the way BIL tells it anyway, they seemed to have the attitude "maybe we'll get to it some day"
SO, BIL puts on his detective hat. Finds out that just after the approx time of the robbery, the card was used at a convenience store nearby. BIL goes and reviews the security cam footage, and the scum bag was wearing the hat when he used the card! Somehow he was able to even figure out who they guy was....but as far as I know the cops never did pursue it.

In these cases we should have a law where the citizen automatically get that cops pension.

I mean if you’re going to do his job, and do it better than the cops does it, seems you have a right to his $$ too.

Actually, i bit the bullet and got a hangar.
One more episode in the ‘get the checkbook out’ reality show.
And yes, ,,,,, I know they can break into the hangar or pick the hangar door lock.

Actually, i bit the bullet and got a hangar.
One more episode in the ‘get the checkbook out’ reality show.
And yes, ,,,,, I know they can break into the hangar or pick the hangar door lock.

I’d be highly impressed if one picks any lock, that requires tools and effort to learn, if they had that they’d be making way more as a locksmith, closest thing to picking a lock you’ll see is trying to drill it out with a stolen drill and incorrect bit lol

That stings...big time! The plane I fly belongs to a friend of mine and I’m mainly the one who flies it. It’s hangared and all and he and I are the only two with keys to it, so I keep my headset and a few viddles in there all the time. I trust him - I mean, if they went missing, there’d only be one person to go to.

Look Mr. Urban Dictionary, even Jethro knows its spelled vittles. ;)

So whatcha got, possum shanks? Southern-fried muskrat, hog jowls, gizzards smothered in gristle, smoked crawdads, goat tripe, stewed squirrel?

Last edited:
I’d be highly impressed if one picks any lock, that requires tools and effort to learn, if they had that they’d be making way more as a locksmith, closest thing to picking a lock you’ll see is trying to drill it out with a stolen drill and incorrect bit lol

https://locklab.com/locklab/

Just as one example... come join the tribe. LOL.

* Not a member but Bill has a big following.

There’s lots of people who pick for fun and education who definitely wouldn’t make more money as professional locksmiths.

Most IT security people get started in lock sport after attending DEFCON and the lockpicking pavilion. :) Alcohol is usually involved.

https://locklab.com/locklab/

Just as one example... come join the tribe. LOL.

* Not a member but Bill has a big following.

There’s lots of people who pick for fun and education who definitely wouldn’t make more money as professional locksmiths.

Most IT security people get started in lock sport after attending DEFCON and the lockpicking pavilion. :) Alcohol is usually involved.

I dabble too, that’s said in comparison to what a crackhead makes a month selling stolen stuff for cents on the dollar, they probably would make more at most any real job.

Look Mr. Urban Dictionary, even Jethro knows its spelled vittles. ;)

So whatcha got, possum shanks? Southern-fried muskrat, hog jowls, gizzards smothered in gristle, smoked crawdads, goat tripe, stewed squirrel?

It's possible he meant to type "fiddles". Also a funnier mental image. He's from Tennessee, so one's just as likely as the other...

Man. The former owner must have been flying in a bad part of town if the bad guys wanted gas that bad! :)

Nate, it came stock from the AMD factory with those gas caps, and the Zenith kits all ship with them. The former owner never locked them and when I bought the plane from a broker there were no keys. I had to buy a set of keys from Aircraft Spruce.

I only lock the gas caps when I'm tied down overnight at small airports with lousy security, but I had gas stolen from my 172 in Punta Penasco, Mexico :(, and am happy to have the option of locking them.

Find some fingerprints, talk to local places with cameras, basically do their job.

That is the job of the detectives, not the uniformed patrol officers. A uniform is just a Johnny on the spot. The do not do investigations in burglar cases. All they can do is their job, which is take a report and give it to the detectives, or catch folks in the act like running a red light. And the detectives are usually severely undermanned. Unless you are Ok with a significant tax increase that goes to staffing more investigators.

When my new new Archer was 1 year old, I flew from Illinois to Kfrg back east. After visiting the folks, on return to the plane, I noted the plane was broken into. The only thing stolen was the whiskey compass. Amazingly the door lock still worked (it had been locked). That was 1981 and it was parked on the Apron of a busy FBO.
I think still I have that on my desk. All of the 'whiskey' has leaked out.
upload_2020-2-17_11-43-51.png

Nate, it came stock from the AMD factory with those gas caps, and the Zenith kits all ship with them. The former owner never locked them and when I bought the plane from a broker there were no keys. I had to buy a set of keys from Aircraft Spruce.

I only lock the gas caps when I'm tied down overnight at small airports with lousy security, but I had gas stolen from my 172 in Punta Penasco, Mexico :(, and am happy to have the option of locking them.

Heh. That’s funny. Although the Mexico thing might be a decent reason! :)

That is the job of the detectives, not the uniformed patrol officers. A uniform is just a Johnny on the spot. The do not do investigations in burglar cases. All they can do is their job, which is take a report and give it to the detectives, or catch folks in the act like running a red light. And the detectives are usually severely undermanned. Unless you are Ok with a significant tax increase that goes to staffing more investigators.

If they can’t even figure out how to get footage and ask questions, sounds like a 25k a year job and one that shouldn’t involve a firearm, maybe just a checklist, backpack and used corolla.

Or better yet, fire all of them and make it a self service website that generates a report after multiple questions.

Ha! I just saved billions of dollars.

I went to drain the fuel out of my right wing to replace the inop fuel gauge today and nothing came out... We thought the drain was bad.

Nope. Both tanks were bone dry.

That makes three times... :eek:

Never had anything stolen from a club plane. Probably jinxed myself with that comment.

Actually these Medeco locks look harder to pick than many. All locks are just a speed bump to entry. The better locks buy you time for someone to witness suspicious behavior and take action. Most of the locks at the hardware store are seconds to open.
Yep, the only thing the best lock in the world will do, is keep an honest man honest. Someone intent on getting in will, lock or not.

In these cases we should have a law where the citizen automatically get that cops pension.

I mean if you’re going to do his job, and do it better than the cops does it, seems you have a right to his $$ too.
When I was a patrol cop, I had to deal with folks that thought the world revolves around small theft cases. I was spit on, kicked, and shot at on various calls. I refused to file charges on a guy who kicked me (a felony) after finding out he had stage 4 cancer and didn’t want him to die in a cage. I was busy working cases on narcotics dealers and human trafficking. We got paid 2600/month. I worked narcotics cases on my own, unpaid time to keep them out of our community. Several of us had our lives and families threatened by cartel associates of men we arrested. As well as having to work second job to afford things like groceries. Thank a cop next time you see one. There are some turds, but a lot of them care deeply, get paid s**t, and work harder than a lot of folks. Maybe think of that next time someone doesn’t take fingerprints for petty theft.

Back