Pilot medical question when you're about to turn 40

James Darren

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
James Darren
I'm 39 yrs old & recently did my 3rd class pilot medical.

I will be turning 40 at the end of this year. I know it's 5 yrs for the validity of the medical under 40 & 2 yrs when over 40.

So what happens to the duration of my medical after 40 if I already have a valid one that's only 1 year old?

As a side note, i am now 44 and decide to do basic med since i am not getting my commercial. However, you can’t start off with BasicMed, from my understanding. So all worked out well for me in my situation.

Why not simply read the nice chart the FAA gave us in FAR 61.23(d) which very clearly says duration is based "on the date of examination for your most recent medical certificate"?

Why not simply read the nice chart the FAA gave us in FAR 61.23(d) which very clearly says duration is based "on the date of examination for your most recent medical certificate"?

If this were the case, about half of the questions on POA would not have been asked.
I understand his question because i asked it as well. You just find it had to believe you get to wait five years so double checking calms the concerns.

If this were the case, about half of the questions on POA would not have been asked.
I understand his question because i asked it as well. You just find it had to believe you get to wait five years so double checking calms the concerns.
So double-checking with SOGTI is better than the regulation's plain English words?

Yeah, I know if people read there would be less questions. They wouldn't all go away because there are things which are unclear to some even after reading.

BTW, I apologize. I'm on one of my periodic "I believe..." and "I understand..." rants. Seen too many of those where the "belief" or "understanding" is contrary to words written by the FAA. That thread where I asked for some IAPs with different straight in category minimums? It was to show them to someone who "believed" (1) approach categories only applied to circling approaches and (2) circling approaches always have different minimums for each category. It was a fools errand. Even these pics could not shake his belief.

upload_2020-2-17_10-16-24.png

upload_2020-2-17_10-20-26.png

So double-checking with SOGTI is better than the regulation's plain English words?

Yeah, I know if people read there would be less questions. They wouldn't all go away because there are things which are unclear to some even after reading.

BTW, I apologize. I'm on one of my periodic "I believe..." and "I understand..." rants. Seen too many of those where the "belief" or "understanding" is contrary to words written by the FAA. That thread where I asked for some IAPs with different straight in category minimums? It was to show them to someone who "believed" (1) approach categories only applied to circling approaches and (2) circling approaches always have different minimums for each category. It was a fools errand. Even these pics could not shake his belief.

View attachment 82816

View attachment 82817
As a jet instructor, I often feel like a kindergarten teacher...reading something from the AFM, and holding the book up to show the class.

Mrs. Othmar taught me well, apparently. ;)

Wait I thought class 3’s were only good for three years. I thought the age forty thing was to get a five year BasicMed. And then there’s the OSA issue...

Wait I thought class 3’s were only good for three years. I thought the age forty thing was to get a five year BasicMed. And then there’s the OSA issue...
CBSigh.png

I was taking my son in law to a fly in physical. Once in the air I realized that we had gone there recently for his physical and asked why again? He said because I turn 40 next month. Now he’s good for five years and I asked the same question as the OP.

I never had this problem as I was 48 when I started flying. :p

Now I use Basic Med, so I only need a physical every 4 years. Gotta love Congress.

I got one three-year renewal period when they raised it just before my 40th. I'll be going basic med before my third class expires this year mostly because I don't have access to my old AME (unless I wanted to travel to see him) and my current primary care doctor knows about and does basic med.

You know there is some lucky pilot out that who was able to get it on the last day of being 39. Lottery ticket!

Why? It’s good to the end of the month of issue.

Or you’re saying he remembered or stopped procrastinating after having a whole month to go get it? :)

I got my last 3rd class 4 days before the big 4-oh. Planned it that way.

Is it possible to get your medical early?

Back