GTN750/GDL88 traffic issue ?

Doug Reid

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Doug Reid
I was flying in my friends Bonanza yesterday and we both noticed that there was no altitude info next to the traffic targets being displayed on the map screen. Lots of random arrowhead type targets displayed, but no info. After about 15 minutes into the flight, the altitude info began to display beside traffic. The same thing happened on the return flight. Any ideas why the delay...the FIS-B reception was working well the entire flight. We could see traffic altitude info if we changed to the traffic screen, but only saw target arrowheads on the map screen. We flew very close to another aircraft and never got any kind of warning. Our flight took us just outside class c and well within tower coverage. Normally, I receive all traffic and TIS-B on my Stratux when I fly this course. Any ideas ?

Zoom level made no change. After about 20 minutes into flight...the data began being displayed without any input from either me or the pilot.

Just a shot in the dark.

Whenever I see a computer (modern avionics count!) doing something incredibly weird, I reach for my pocket computer (phone supposedly...) and take a picture of it. Or video if it helps show the behavior.

Helps quite a bit if further online research doesn’t lead to it just me being stupid about the user interface or feature set. I can just forward it to the manufacturer’s support dept for review.

Which... back when I worked as a “Tier 4” tech for a manufacturer, I would have killed for... when the engineer in Israel (time zone problem!) kept closing my legitimate escalation tickets saying the error described in the text of the ticket was “impossible”.

Impossible became possible once we asked the poor field engineers if they had seen it. Had a video of it an hour later. LOL.

Anyway... sorry the idea wasn’t helpful. Shoot video! :)

Back