Used G5 value?

Bacho

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bacho
So I have been watching used avionics and have been reading on the paperwork side of things. Something like a G5 requires the STC and a permission letter specific to the A/C. Reading on Garmin stuff, it looks like they issue the permission letter based on the device serial. I read this is a one time event. So does a used G5 carry any value in the certified world other than a replacement for an aircraft that already has one?

How does this work for something like a 430?

Aside from initial STC purchase and installation, any G5 that has an FAA/PMA sticker on it and matches the STC part number is eligible for use in certified aircraft.

The letter of authorization requirement comes from almost all FAA forms 8110-2 (STC certificate) say right on it “if the holder agrees to permit another person to use this certificate to alter a product the holder must provide written evidence of that permission.”

It’s all about intellectual property theft. In some cases you can buy the STC data package for a nominal fee and get the parts from anywhere to complete it, even a salvage yard.

Last edited:
So does a used G5 carry any value in the certified world
Yes. Just as any used avionics equipment. The main issue with Garmin are warranty claims when purchased used.
requires the STC and a permission letter specific to the A/C.
On the flip side, the permission letter is only required if you plan to use/follow the STC for the installation. There's nothing that prevents you from buying a used AI and installing it per Part 43. There is actually a FAA policy statement that allows electronic AIs to be installed in certain Part 23/CAR3 aircraft as a minor alteration, i.e., only an AP sign off. However, each instrument and aircraft would require a specific determination by the installer. Best route is to discuss with your AP on your options.

Yes. Just as any used avionics equipment. The main issue with Garmin are warranty claims when purchased used.

On the flip side, the permission letter is only required if you plan to use/follow the STC for the installation. There's nothing that prevents you from buying a used AI and installing it per Part 43. There is actually a FAA policy statement that allows electronic AIs to be installed in certain Part 23/CAR3 aircraft as a minor alteration, i.e., only an AP sign off. However, each instrument and aircraft would require a specific determination by the installer. Best route is to discuss with your AP on your options.

Thank you,

I am the AP. My experience is all in 121. From my research I think I understand flexibility is quite possible, but I still have to get an IA to sign off come annual.

but I still have to get an IA to sign off come annual.
Talk to him before the annual on the install. It's the path I followed after I dropped my IA. If you have your ducks in a row I never had a problem since I was signing it off. Link below is policy statement on AI installs plus there are other statements/memos out on other types of electronic gear installs via minor alteration, etc..
https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_...1005B2FBC?OpenDocument&Highlight=ps-ace-23-08

Thank you,

I am the AP. My experience is all in 121. From my research I think I understand flexibility is quite possible, but I still have to get an IA to sign off come annual.
Have you read the installation manual for the G5? They are available online to public.

Back