No more IPCs for me...

I think the OP has it all wrong. He's slowing down in his retirement. Thing about that is he's older, and thus has less time left. So he should be going faster.

Pretty sure he’s referring to in-wall channeling/conduit/cable run.

The name refers to some sci-fi show pop trivia.
Yeah I googled the term before I asked the question. I guess I was just confused because the reference made it sound like they had an actual product inside the walls that would facilitate running network cable or the like easily. But now I'm assuming they're just talking about punching a hole in the sill plate of a hollow wall and pushing wire up into the wall cavity. Works great on interior walls, but not so good if you need to run wire to an exterior wall full of insulation.

Yeah I googled the term before I asked the question. I guess I was just confused because the reference made it sound like they had an actual product inside the walls that would facilitate running network cable or the like easily. But now I'm assuming they're just talking about punching a hole in the sill plate of a hollow wall and pushing wire up into the wall cavity. Works great on interior walls, but not so good if you need to run wire to an exterior wall full of insulation.

The last two houses we built, we put AV conduit up to 60” anywhere there was a cable/electrical outlet. Some of the rooms we put the wall plate in, others we have not and the conduit is capped behind the wall. We also ran romex, but did not terminate it.

Our thoughts were to facilitate future projects.

I think the OP has it all wrong. He's slowing down in his retirement. Thing about that is he's older, and thus has less time left. So he should be going faster.

Are you posting in the right thread? What does any of this have to do with going faster or slower?

:confused:

The last two houses we built, we put AV conduit up to 60” anywhere there was a cable/electrical outlet. Some of the rooms we put the wall plate in, others we have not and the conduit is capped behind the wall. We also ran romex, but did not terminate it.

Our thoughts were to facilitate future projects.

Yes. Mostly this. Pretty much just PVC pipes inside the wall penetrating into the crawl space with some of them having a T at lower outlet level and continuing up to an upper level behind a wall mount for a TV.

I am begining to suspect I am one of very few who refer to it that way... o_O Perhaps there is another more official name but that is all I have ever known it by... It was a common term when I was installing satellite TV and Internet.

It is more than pushing a wire into an empty wall cavity (I spent 8 years doing that for DISH TV). They are installed before the drywall is hung. Without them exterior walls are more difficult, but not impossible. For that a MagnaPull comes in real handy.

I'm not sure about the you don't need internet part of it. IIRC the Nav database had to be updated as part of the certification, at least initially.

Not true. Radios work just fine without an updated GPS database.

Not true. Radios work just fine without an updated GPS database.

Yep, I remember now and actually found the email response from Alex when I asked him about why I had to purchase the REALNAV package: "To answer your questions regarding RealNAV, without the subscription, you would not have WAAS capabilities, so you would not be able to perform LPV approaches and you wouldn't have up to date SIDS/STARS. Once the initial 1-year RealNAV subscription expires the data stays on the simulator, it does not get erased. So, we usually recommend purchasing RealNAV with the initial purchase and then not renewing until you KNOW your airport information has changed."

I seem to remember the machine had to connect to the internet for something REALNAV related during setup, but my memory fails me.

Regardless, I'd still highly recommend adding an internet connection like the $20 WiFi adapter I posted about above. Besides system updates, if you need any kind of tech support it will be much easier if you have internet access as tech support can then remote into your machine,

It is more than pushing a wire into an empty wall cavity (I spent 8 years doing that for DISH TV). They are installed before the drywall is hung.
Ok so what are they? Googling your Jeffries tubes term just brings up Star Trek pages.

Yep, I remember now and actually found the email response from Alex when I asked him about why I had to purchase the REALNAV package: "To answer your questions regarding RealNAV, without the subscription, you would not have WAAS capabilities, so you would not be able to perform LPV approaches and you wouldn't have up to date SIDS/STARS. Once the initial 1-year RealNAV subscription expires the data stays on the simulator, it does not get erased. So, we usually recommend purchasing RealNAV with the initial purchase and then not renewing until you KNOW your airport information has changed."

I seem to remember the machine had to connect to the internet for something REALNAV related during setup, but my memory fails me.

Regardless, I'd still highly recommend adding an internet connection like the $20 WiFi adapter I posted about above. Besides system updates, if you need any kind of tech support it will be much easier if you have internet access as tech support can then remote into your machine,

100% agree with the recommendation to get an internet connection to the sim. I have a couple USB WiFi adapters left over from my DISH TV days and thought about using one but it was really easy, in my case, to get an ethernet cable to it so instead of mucking about with software and drivers and such, I did just that. Since there were some production delays when I placed my order (right after Christmas to take advantage of their free RD1 offer) I had a LOT of time to prepare for its arrival. :)

i've often thought that if I ever build a custom home, I'd like to come up with some sort of raceway baseboard system so that I could easily run new cabling, move outlets, etc...

side question about the sim....
what are the competitors to Redbird for loggable home sims?

I flew the FLYTHISSIM when I hired PIC for my IFR. It is total crap compared to my home Xplane setup. I put my Saratoga and added my GTN650 to the Xplane and have my ipad running foreflight clamped to my yoke mount just like in my real plane. MUCH more realistic than the FLYTHISSIM setup. Also, the FAA approved sims are a pain to change HSI headings, etc compared with my setup- I have switches and buttons on my throttle quadrant mapped to this. I know it can't be logged but is WAY more realistic than the "approved" sim and for my proficiency purposes makes more sense. Figure I get "proficient" in my home sim, then use my own airplane ("free" except for fuel) and talk a buddy into sitting right seat to get "legal".

Also, the FAA approved sims are a pain to change HSI headings, etc compared with my setup- I have switches and buttons on my throttle quadrant mapped to this. I know it can't be logged but is WAY more realistic than the "approved" sim

How can actual knobs and actual buttons in their actual relative position be less realistic than mapped buttons that in no way reflect reality? o_O
20200201_114339.jpg
20200201_114420.jpg

I don't have a G1000 in my plane. I have an NSD360 and a GTN. Those buttons are pretty much useless for me practicing buttonology

I don't have a G1000 in my plane. I have an NSD360 and a GTN. Those buttons are pretty much useless for me practicing buttonology

Ahhh... Yah, that makes sense... The second picture is not the G1000, but I get what you mean now.

Is there a certification requirement for that equipment? Seems like a pretty great thing to leaseback to a flying club or willing FBO if it's legal to log, even solo.

These Redbird sims have become pretty popular for flying clubs.

Cessna ceased production of the C182 RG in 1986. The G1000 panels didn't come along until MUCH later. Out of curiosity, why are you basing your numbers on rental of retractable 182? A practice approach is a practice approach as far as your logbook goes. A pilot who does all their practice approaches in a rented C150 is legally speaking just as IFR current as one who does all practice approaches in a 747.

You can do better than a G1000 on an R182 these days, however. I'd much rather fly behind a G3x than a G1000.

I cant believe I missed the change to the currency regs that allow you to log currency approaches without a CFII. I've considered getting an approved sim of some sort for years but that requirement always held me back. Guess there's no excuse now... (except the $12,000 price tag)

I cant believe I missed the change to the currency regs that allow you to log currency approaches without a CFII. I've considered getting an approved sim of some sort for years but that requirement always held me back. Guess there's no excuse now... (except the $12,000 price tag)

You do not need to spend $12,000. Initially I was looking at a much more watered down version that was right around $8,200 (including the not-necessary $500 RealNav subscription) all-in. While discussing it with the wife, she inisisted I get something that would be a lot more capable and useful in the future.

This was my original quote:

Screenshot_20200215-151623_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Thanks to my sweety, this is what I ended up getting (yes, I bought their $630 table because I did not want to fuss around with trying to find a capable table. This thing is not light...):

Screenshot_20200215-151759_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

You do not need to spend $12,000. Initially I was looking at a much more watered down version that was right around $8,200 (including the not-necessary $500 RealNav subscription) all-in. While discussing it with the wife, she inisisted I get something that would be a lot more capable and useful in the future.

This was my original quote:

View attachment 82792

Thanks to my sweety, this is what I ended up getting (yes, I bought their $630 table because I did not want to fuss around with trying to find a capable table. This thing is not light...):

View attachment 82793

My TD was $7669 delivered back in Sep 2019. I added a $40 table from Ikea and a $90 set of rudder pedals off Amazon so all in my system with the G1000 panel was $7800.

Being a Basic Aviation Training Device (BATD) you cannot log PIC, "Flght" Time, takeoffs and landings, or anything else you normally find in your logbook.... Just Sim Inst and Approaches.

I am a big fan of BATDs and AATDs. I may be misinterpreting this, but I believe there are some instances where you can log PIC time. The Redbird TD2 LOA states that the ATD is FAA approved for:
§ 61.5 1(b)(3) -Logbook entries; ¯
§ 61.51(h) -Logging training time; ¯
§ 61.57(c) -Instrument experience; ¯
§ 61.65(i) -Instrument rating: not more than 10 hours; ¯
§ 61.109(k)( 1) -Private Pilot Certificate Aeronautical experience: up to 2.5 hours; ¯
§ 14 1.41(b) -Approved for use under the part 141 appendices as follows: Appendix B -Up to 15% towards the total Private Pilot training time requirements; and Appendix C -Up to 25% toward the total Instrument training time requirements.

I am a big fan of BATDs and AATDs. I may be misinterpreting this, but I believe there are some instances where you can log PIC time. The Redbird TD2 LOA states that the ATD is FAA approved for:
§ 61.5 1(b)(3) -Logbook entries; ¯
§ 61.51(h) -Logging training time; ¯
§ 61.57(c) -Instrument experience; ¯
§ 61.65(i) -Instrument rating: not more than 10 hours; ¯
§ 61.109(k)( 1) -Private Pilot Certificate Aeronautical experience: up to 2.5 hours; ¯
§ 14 1.41(b) -Approved for use under the part 141 appendices as follows: Appendix B -Up to 15% towards the total Private Pilot training time requirements; and Appendix C -Up to 25% toward the total Instrument training time requirements.

Which of the referenced sections allows you to log PIC using a BATD or an AATD?

Which of the referenced sections allows you to log PIC using a BATD or an AATD?

As I said, I don't know if I am interpreting it correctly. I have searched to find anything regarding FAA interpretation, but have not found anything yet. 61.57(c) says "may act as Pilot in Command" 61.57 (c)(2) in "......aviation Training Device.....".

61.57 Recent Flight Experience: Pilot in Command
61.57(c) Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person may act as pilot in command under IFR or weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR only if:
61.57(c)(2) Use of a full flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device for maintaining instrument experience. A pilot may accomplish the requirements in paragraph (c)(1) of this section in a full flight simulator, or aviation training device provided the device represents the category of aircraft for the instrument rating privileges to be maintained and the pilot performs the tasks and iterations in simulated instrument conditions. A person may complete the instrument experience in any combination of an aircraft, full flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device.

As I said, I don't know if I am interpreting it correctly. I have searched to find anything regarding FAA interpretation, but have not found anything yet. 61.57(c) says "may act as Pilot in Command" 61.57 (c)(2) in "......aviation Training Device.....".

Ahhh.. Yes, I understand what you are thinking but I think you are interpreting it incorrectly.

61.57 lays out the recent experience necessary in order to act as a PIC of an aircraft carrying passengers.

Paragraph (a) outlines the general (AKA: "day") experience necessary.

Paragraph (b) outlines the experience necessary to act as PIC in an aircraft "carrying passengers during the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise".

Paragraph (c) outlines the recent eperience necessary to act as PIC (with or without passengers) "under IFR or weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR".

(c)(1) describes the specific experience necessary. (c)(2) goes on to say that you can satisfy (c)(1) by using an FFS, FTD, or ATD.

While having a good home sim is great, I reject the mindset that a pilot with an approved home sim does not need to do IPCs

IPCs should not be seen as a chore, but as an opportunity to brush up, get feedback from an experienced instructor. I would advise doing one annually and make sure you prepare by doing the faasafety team ipc prep.

An approved sim typically doesnt have comparable ATC (although pilotedge.net is great), or other random workload increasing events including the stress of flying a real airplane under the hood under test conditions.

While having a good home sim is great, I reject the mindset that a pilot with an approved home sim does not need to do IPCs

Lucky thing for the rest of us you are not the FAA Administrator.

;)

Really looking forward to demo the TD2 at Sun and Fun. Hoping they have a promotion.

Will also demo the Elite BATD

Reactions: smv
Ahhh.. Yes, I understand what you are thinking but I think you are interpreting it incorrectly.

You are right & I stand corrected. I did just read up regarding ATD time required to be logged & how it is to be logged in order to be credited in AC 61-136A:

3. LOGGING TRAINING TIME AND EXPERIENCE. Authorized instructors utilizing an FAA-approved ATD for airmen training, pilot time, and experience requirements are required to log the time as dual instruction and as basic aviation training device (BATD) or advanced aviation training device (AATD) time appropriately. Any columns that reference flight time should remain blank when logging ATD time. Simulated instrument time can be logged in an ATD, but only during the time when the visual component of the training session is configured for instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) and the pilot is maintaining control solely by reference to the flight instruments. Logging time in this fashion will allow a pilot to credit this time towards the aeronautical experience and recent experience requirements as specified in 14 CFR part 61 or 141. It is required under part 61, § 61.51(b)(1)(iv) that the type and identification of the ATD be included in the logging of pilot time as described in the letter of authorization (LOA). It is the responsibility of the flight instructor, student, or certificated pilot to verify the device is qualified and approved for training or experience requirements. It would be appropriate for the person using the ATD to retain a copy of the LOA.

NOTE: There are no restrictions on the amount of training accomplished and logged in training devices. However, the regulatory limitations on maximum credit allowed for the minimum pilot certification requirements are specified by parts 61 and 141 and in the LOA. No approvals or authorizations are provided for aircraft type ratings using ATDs.

Really looking forward to demo the TD2 at Sun and Fun. Hoping they have a promotion.

Will also demo the Elite BATD
I won't be at Sun and Fun but I'm wondering.... how often does Redbird have promotions for their TD or TD2? I'm jealous of the free rudder pedals the OP got! I think I'll wait for the next good opportunity.

Would be good to split one one of these with a few people. Then you can also watch each other do the approach and debrief.

I have been going to a CFII for years who has an Elite BATD for regular instrument proficiency work. I really appreciate what can be done with such a rig.

Re: internet connectivity, one of the nifty things about my CFII's setup is that it pulls real-time weather data from the internet and implements that in the visuals if you want to do that. (I'm really looking forward to that same capability when the new Microsoft flight simulator comes out!)

I finally got my table today so I hooked up all the equipment/cables for the TD2. The monitor does not turn on. I've tried all the usual things and I can't figure out why the monitor won't turn on even when the computer and other peripherals are on. I guess I will need to wait until Monday for tech support.

MAJOR EDIT: The instructions don't say anything about it, but there IS a power button on the monitor which I found and fixed the problem.

Last edited:
I finally got my table today so I hooked up all the equipment/cables for the TD2. The monitor does not turn on. I've tried all the usual things and I can't figure out why the monitor won't turn on even when the computer and other peripherals are on. I guess I will need to wait until Monday for tech support.

MAJOR EDIT: The instructions don't say anything about it, but there IS a power button on the monitor which I found and fixed the problem.

Mine comes on by itself when I apply power. I have a power strip with the CPU, the monitor, and a desk lamp plugged in. I only use the power button on the monitor when, for whatever reason, I want to leave the CPU running but turn off the monitor. Make sure you have the monitor plugged into the correct video port. You will be very disappointed with the performance if you do not...

Now that you see the table, do you think I could find something equally good locally? Size, strength, etc., or is it custom-made? I need to find one and I'm a cheap ol' b_____d. :)

Now that you see the table, do you think I could find something equally good locally? Size, strength, etc., or is it custom-made? I need to find one and I'm a cheap ol' b_____d. :)

It is 47" wide and 24" deep but weighs 65lbs. Yah, it is pretty robust. ;)

Well the monitor is working great but I can't SHUT THE UNIT DOWN without a password???

I got a table from IKEA haha. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/gerton-oddvald-table-beech-black-s29870932/

The table does not actually attach to the legs, but gravity seems sufficient. You need special oil (sold separately) to treat the bamboo table which is a bit of a pain in the arse, but I definitely recommend saving hundreds on the table.

Back