Cessna 150/150HP aerobat Question

kell490

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
k490
I'm looking to buy a 150 to get my PPL in ran across this in barnstormer https://barnstormers.com/ad_detail.php?id=1487211&catid=17376. It's my understanding the drawback of a regular 150 is the 0-200 is expensive to rebuild I could be wrong I don't remember where I read that, but this I think as the O-320 is that engine cheaper to rebuild? I'm not sure about the tail wheel modification might be easier to learn tricycle gear first then get TW endorsement later. I might keep the 150 anyway since I suspect most of my flying be alone wife won't fly in a airplane where she can't get a drink served. I'm in AZ so weather here is good. I doubt ill even buy this one it will be gone by the time I think about it enough.

The C-150 requires is a 0-200 engine or a lot of STCs
the 0-200-A is rebuildable for about $14,000, depends upon how much you can save.

a new crank is $9,000

It's been a few years since I've had to do either, but the O-200A was about 2 grand cheaper than an O-320 to overhaul last time I priced it out. Has something changed recently to inflate the price of O200 overhauls?

There are a ton of good reasons to get a 150/150 but I don't think overhaul savings is one of them.

....wife won't fly in a airplane where she can't get a drink served. .

Which is the important word here? drink, or served. Nothing will prohibit you from bringing alcohol aboard and having her serve herself. Or you can serve her a drink.

There is a FAR against serving alcohol to someone already inebriated but my assumption is that your wife won't drink that much... but then the airlines are not supposed to serve inebriated people either, so... -Skip

It's been a few years since I've had to do either, but the O-200A was about 2 grand cheaper than an O-320 to overhaul last time I priced it out. Has something changed recently to inflate the price of O200 overhauls?

There are a ton of good reasons to get a 150/150 but I don't think overhaul savings is one of them.
Useful load on a 150/150 does take a hit.

It really depends on what you have when you get it disassembled.
many of these old engines have already been used up. the cranks are beyond limits, rods are too short, cams are too small, gears are warned beyond limits, cases have been lap-ed until they are narrow. There a limit :(

Which is the important word here? drink, or served. Nothing will prohibit you from bringing alcohol aboard and having her serve herself. Or you can serve her a drink.

There is a FAR against serving alcohol to someone already inebriated but my assumption is that your wife won't drink that much... but then the airlines are not supposed to serve inebriated people either, so... -Skip

It's a case of fear of flying the drink helps calm her down. It's one thing in an airliner where I can deal with her I would not want to deal with her in a small aircraft where I have to fly the plane and keep her calm also.

I hope that the new Rotax 912 replacement engine for the C150 gets over here soon. There is a company in Europe Atol Aviation that has an EASA STC for the Rotax 912 upgrade. Less weight (18kg), lower fuel burn (25% claimed), auto gas with ethanol, and constant speed prop for better climb and cruise.

I hope that the new Rotax 912 replacement engine for the C150 gets over here soon. There is a company in Europe Atol Aviation that has an EASA STC for the Rotax 912 upgrade. Less weight (18kg), lower fuel burn (25% claimed), auto gas with ethanol, and constant speed prop for better climb and cruise.

Sounds great I imagine something like that would be north of $30k with the the upgraded prop. I reading lot of people suggest not bother with rebuilding a C-150 just use the money buy a 172. Would be interesting to have a Rotax 912 in a 150 aerobat 25% fuel cost reduction if that is real number would be a big plus as looking like now fuel prices could be rising in the future. If I could find a aerobat with a run out engine at a good price might be able to make it worth while to upgrade to the Rotax.

A tail wheel converted C-150 would that be lot like flying a Cessna 140, or 120 any CFI who is type rated in those would probably be able train me in the C150 with the TW conversion.

Our A150L towplane's 180 hp STC increased the max gross to 1760 from 1600. I don't think the OPs A150k/150 will be on the market for long. If I had the money I'd buy it myself.

Our A150L towplane's 180 hp STC increased the max gross to 1760 from 1600. I don't think the OPs A150k/150 will be on the market for long. If I had the money I'd buy it myself.

It was posted on the February 7th could be sold already, or maybe some other issues. I hadn't planned on buying this one just wanted to learn about the 150 upgrade what are the pitfalls.

It was posted on the February 7th could be sold already, or maybe some other issues. I hadn't planned on buying this one just wanted to learn about the 150 upgrade what are the pitfalls.
The pitfalls the way I understand it are that you could probably take the liquor, but not your wife if you want to remain legal. You might want to begin your training with a study of weight and balance and load/gust factors before studying aircraft registration.

It's a case of fear of flying the drink helps calm her down. It's one thing in an airliner where I can deal with her I would not want to deal with her in a small aircraft where I have to fly the plane and keep her calm also.

Understood. Best wishes! -Skip

A tail wheel converted C-150 would that be lot like flying a Cessna 140, or 120 any CFI who is type rated in those would probably be able train me in the C150 with the TW conversion.
Depends on the conversion...and the base airplane. A swept-tail 150 conversion with short main gear legs is almost nothing like flying a 120 or 140.

not that a competent instructor couldn’t teach it, but 120/140 time wouldn’t be a player IMO.

Cessna engineers were not crazy about some of the big-engine C-150 conversions. Former Cessna Manager of Aerodynamics and Flight Test Bill Thompson wrote (Cessna - Wings for The World: The Single-Engine Development Story, p. 14):

"There were a couple of 150 HP conversions that were later to receive Supplemental Type Certificates in the USA, and the author was invited to fly one at nearby Augusta Airport. Before cranking up for a solo flight, the owner, Galen Means, suggested that I might want to try a 6-turn spin. Although I had no parachute, I naively attempted one and noticed immediately that this was no longer a docile C-150. The extra inertia effects from the larger engine and the battery relocated to the tailcone (for balance) caused a noticeably flatter spin attitude. Sensing this impending danger, I broke off the prolonged spin at four turns, and noted the rather sluggish recovery. [...] Jerry Baker, now an FAA test pilot, remarked recently that 'many of the large-engine A150 conversions are not approved for aerobatics or spins for the reasons you cited. It would be wise for the owners to check any limitations associated with STC conversions before buying into those conversions.'"

Cessna engineers were not crazy about some of the big-engine C-150 conversions. Former Cessna Manager of Aerodynamics and Flight Test Bill Thompson wrote (Cessna - Wings for The World: The Single-Engine Development Story, p. 14):

"There were a couple of 150 HP conversions that were later to receive Supplemental Type Certificates in the USA, and the author was invited to fly one at nearby Augusta Airport. Before cranking up for a solo flight, the owner, Galen Means, suggested that I might want to try a 6-turn spin. Although I had no parachute, I naively attempted one and noticed immediately that this was no longer a docile C-150. The extra inertia effects from the larger engine and the battery relocated to the tailcone (for balance) caused a noticeably flatter spin attitude. Sensing this impending danger, I broke off the prolonged spin at four turns, and noted the rather sluggish recovery. [...] Jerry Baker, now an FAA test pilot, remarked recently that 'many of the large-engine A150 conversions are not approved for aerobatics or spins for the reasons you cited. It would be wise for the owners to check any limitations associated with STC conversions before buying into those conversions.'"

That's some good information to know thanks I probably avoid modified 150 then at least for now that's what I was looking for.

I see your at KGYR that accident the 182 hit the power lines back in December was a co-worker of mine he retired from where I work I knew him well we used to talk about flying. Those lines seem kind of close to the the runway I know they are a mile away I guess not that close still would think should be lighted. Ironic those lines are owned by the company we both worked for 20 plus years.

I see your at KGYR that accident the 182 hit the power lines back in December was a co-worker of mine he retired from where I work I knew him well we used to talk about flying. Those lines seem kind of close to the the runway I know they are a mile away I guess not that close still would think should be lighted. Ironic those lines are owned by the company we both worked for 20 plus years.
Ben's T-hangar was just three doors from mine. I only talked to him once or twice; he seemed like a very nice guy.

Back