iPhone problems?

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
I have an iPhone 8 with Verizon as the carrier. Irregularly, about 3 to 5 times a week, the phone will not ring when someone calls. I do get an entry on the "Recent Calls" page, but no voicemail (maybe that just means the caller left no voicemail).

Is this a known problem? Is there a fix?

Thanks in advance for your collecive wisdom!

-Skip

Happens regularly in poor coverage.

(I live in the epitome of poor coverage, so I see it constantly.)

Also happens often with fast ring and disconnect by spammer’s predictive dialers.

Are they numbers you recognize? If not, don’t worry about it.

If you know you’re missing calls from real people, call and ask them if they’re butt dialing. I have three friends who do that constantly.

Oh. Can also happen if your WiFi / Internet provider sucks and you use WiFi calling. Although generally WiFi calling is great and super reliable when at home (or work if they allow personal devices on their WiFi.)

Due to expecting medical calls from unknown numbers the last year or so, I’ve had to answer everything. It sucks. Normally I wouldn’t answer my phone for anything I didn’t recognize. Call me from an unknown number you’re going to voice mail.

Oh yeah. Spotty data coverage will mess with visual voicemail badges and notifications on iOS too. It’ll miss them and not update until the next vm is left.

Coders don’t remember how to code for flakey networks. They trust the OS’s network stack to handle it and give them errors. It doesn’t.

Yep.
I have an iPhone 8 with Verizon as the carrier. Irregularly, about 3 to 5 times a week, the phone will not ring when someone calls. I do get an entry on the "Recent Calls" page, but no voicemail (maybe that just means the caller left no voicemail).

Is this a known problem? Is there a fix?

Thanks in advance for your collecive wisdom!

-Skip

Yep, I have the same phone, same provider, same problem. I just attribute it to "Doc" Brown and his occasionally temperamental flux capacitor causing a localized distortion in the space time continuum.

I spend a great deal of time in poor or no service areas. Yes, it happens all the time and it's obnoxious but I don't think there's anything you can do about it. I always tell people to leave a voicemail if I don't answer in case it doesn't show up in missed calls... I have had it not do that either.

I spend a great deal of time in poor or no service areas. Yes, it happens all the time and it's obnoxious but I don't think there's anything you can do about it. I always tell people to leave a voicemail if I don't answer in case it doesn't show up in missed calls... I have had it not do that either.

Thanks. And to quote Doctor Bruce: *sigh*. I live in New York City, surrounded by steel frame buildings. FM radio was mostly useless here due to Multipath Distortion, so I switched to internet radio - problem solved. I speculate that the cell phone problem is something similar. I guess I have to live with getting most of my inbound calls!

-Skip

We have AT&T and have always had calls periodically go straight to message without ringing, on a variety of iPhones. No rhyme or reason to it we can figure out.

Back