New Student / headset

A converted headset will have no more clamping pressure than the original set as the ANR stuff is all internal in the earcups.
True, but the passive headsets have more clamping pressure than ANR headsets, so a converted headset will too. Spike notes that he doesn't notice the clamping as much after the conversion, though. Maybe his head shrunk?:dunno::D

I found some DC 10-36 for helicopter for $125....I am going to have to find somewhere to go and find different headsets to put my hands on..I have no clue where to start looking really other than close to the airport...fair enough??

I hope that you know that there can be a difference between a "helicopter" headset, and one that you use in an airplane.

If I may pose another question....Are all DC passive headsets upgradeable to ANR or only specific models like the H10-13.4 ?

I also assume that the same styles of DC, though they may be different models, should fit similarly??

Is that a fair assumption?

The reason I am asking is because if I can save some cash on the front end and have adequate protection then I will because my flying will not be as frequent. Then/If flying time increases I could do the upgrade later on or even buy a new set altogether if I wanted to.

Tommy

You get a lot of advice from some hightime pilots here, and they all don't mind spending some bucks for the best. You will notice though, they can't even agee on what is the best. My adivce is to pick up a pair of Softcomms, or other brand of headset in the $150-$180 range. Just don't buy the bottom of the line. When you've been around a while, and seen what other people are using, you can upgrade. You will find that headsets are a very personal purchase, and it is going to be a while before you need something you can wear for eight hours at at time.

Last edited:
My adivce is to pick up a pair of Softcomms, or other brand of headset in the $150-$180 range. Just don't buy the bottom of the line. When you've been around a while, and seen what other people are using, you can upgrade. You will find that headsets are a very personal purchase.

Not a bad idea...

Then -- when you have someone that wants to fly with you -- you have a reason to upgrade and still have an extra set!

As far as "clamping pressure on the Dave Clarks" -- after I figured out how to adjust them, all the pressure went away. I wear a 7 1/4 size hat, so not a melon or pin head, but I don't find the 13.4 models clamps more than others...:dunno:

git some earplugs and go fly.

True, but the passive headsets have more clamping pressure than ANR headsets, so a converted headset will too. Spike notes that he doesn't notice the clamping as much after the conversion, though. Maybe his head shrunk?:dunno::D

Grant, you may have me there!

Come to think of it, though, I had never tried to adjust the size and clamping of the DCs until I installed the ANR, so that may have been a factor. I still believe, though, that much of the discomfort I had ascribed to the clamping was actually the fatigue from all the low-frequency noise - it is remarkable how much less wearing flying is with this one change.

I still cannot believe I waited so long!

True, but the passive headsets have more clamping pressure than ANR headsets, so a converted headset will too.

Exactly.

Ya pays your money and ya takes your choice :D

When you fly for an hour or two it may not make a difference. But when you're flying 6-8 hours or more in the day, I'll take Bose over Lightspeed any day (and I've owned them, including a 30-3G).

Interesting... I've flown 8.8 hours in a day with the Lightspeeds and they were fine.

Plus, for the price of a Bose, you can buy yourself a headset, buy your buddy a headset, and take your buddy flying.

And if your batteries run out, the Lightspeed has WAY better passive protection than the Bose.

The Bose is a nice headset, but for the price, I'll take the Lightspeeds any day.

And if your batteries run out, the Lightspeed has WAY better passive protection than the Bose.

The Bose is a nice headset, but for the price, I'll take the Lightspeeds any day.
Two words: Ship's Power :D

No batteries, my friend! We ordered our R44 with Bose wiring and headsets at all four stations. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. There's actually two jacks at each station -- one Bose, and one conventional single plug helicopter jack. I've yet to have anybody unplug the Bose headset and plug in their Lightspeed :no:

It may be, though, that headset discussions belong in the spin zone because all of us are so opinionated about them :D

About the only thing that would get me to switch would be if I started wearing a helmet, and that would preclude either Bose or Lightspeed.

My adivce is to pick up a pair of Softcomms, or other brand of headset in the $150-$180 range. Just don't buy the bottom of the line.

You know, that's where I started. I still have two pair of Softcomms, they both still work flawlessly. Pretty good starter headsets. Maybe we're all inadvertantly telling him to shoot for the moon (or for the stars in the case of the Bose guys)

We are all starting to get on the same page now. I asked for opinions and I have received a plethora of them. Which is exactly what I wanted. I do not anticipate being in the craft for hours on end initially and I am certainly willing to upgrade later should the need arise. So, that said I am looking at the softcomms, the spruce ones or lightspeeds... It won't be bottom of the line and won't break the bank at the same time.

...and the Softcomms are made at my home airport...a literal stone's throw from the FBO where I'm training. I don't own one yet (I got too good a deal on my LS Thirty-3G), but talk about factory support, eh? I won't hesitate to buy one for passengers, etc. I've tried them on, and they feel relatively comfortable. It's interesting...I find headsets more comfortable in the plane than in the store...guess I'm just so giddy from flying that they feel more comfortable than when I am concentrating on wether it feels comfortable or not. :D

Good luck with your descision...sounds like you're well on your way.

I guess I didn't read the original post correctly. :redface: You all are correct that passive sets do rely on clamping force to improve performance.

If I may pose another question....Are all DC passive headsets upgradeable to ANR or only specific models like the H10-13.4 ?

I also assume that the same styles of DC, though they may be different models, should fit similarly??

Is that a fair assumption?

I've converted several brands of headsets for myself and for friends and have never encountered a problem. I do believe there may be a couple of models that Headsets Inc sets don't fit. Check their web site.

I started out with SoftComm C-40. My officemate, a former Navy pilot & PP, gave them to me when I started to fly. I still use them with pax. SoftComm, did a service for me on each of them replacing the seals, cords and tuned up the electronics for low cost. I used the SoftComms until my Bride gave me a pair of Bose X as a graduation present upon my PPL.

You know, that's where I started. I still have two pair of Softcomms, they both still work flawlessly. Pretty good starter headsets. Maybe we're all inadvertantly telling him to shoot for the moon (or for the stars in the case of the Bose guys)
So, if they still work flawlessly, tell us what makes them "starter" headsets. Is the sound not as good? Too heavy? Poor mic quality? "Fit" doesn't count here because, as previously mentioned, fit is a personal thing and what's good for one person is not necessarily good for another.

My typical flight is an hour or two at a time. For that short of a time, I just can't see the need for ANR (nice - yes; needed - no) and weight issues are also minimal. So, if sound and mic quality is good, the fit isn't uncomfortable, and the warranty/reliability is good, I wouldn't care if the headset only cost $20. I'd rather spend my money on flying.

Of course, if I were flying longer times it would be a different story. ANR and additional comfort would be more important.

Last edited:
My experience with SoftComms was good. The sound fidelity inbound and outbound is sufficient to get by with. When I moved to the Bose, I couldn't believe how much I was missing. The dynamic range on the upper headsets are fantastic. Controller inflections, all the chatter... I hardly have to ask ATC to repeat anything. Now that could be that I went from non-ANR to ANR, but the difference was noticeable.

The Bose are much more comfortable for long trips. When I was doing my work pre-PPL, the airports we trained at were a scant 10 minutes away. Once I started flying longer XCs, I was grateful for the comfort of the Bose.

I was very fortunate to train at a Class C airport, so I get a decent amount of ATC interaction. Lots of my flight take place between CLT and GSO so talking to ATC is important. Once I got into the IFR system, not having to say "Say again" on clearances and etc was a big comfort to me. I believe that my headset made me a better pilot.

So, if they still work flawlessly, tell us what makes them "starter" headsets.

1. Because they are negative ANR

2. My XM radio and CD/MP3 player sound so much better on long X/C's when wearing my lightspeeds...music is very important to me on long X/C's.

By the way...

I view SoftComm as being to David White as what Lightspeed is to Bose.

Non ANR: SoftComm is a much better bang for the buck than DW.

ANR: Lightspeed is the best bang for the buck.

But, then, that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
2. My XM radio and CD/MP3 player sound so much better on long X/C's when wearing my lightspeeds...music is very important to me on long X/C's.
As long as you aren't communicating with ATC, I agree. Flying IFR or even VFR around busy airspace? Not so much so, IMO.
I view SoftComm as being to David White as what Lightspeed is to Bose.
David Clarks?

Did it help on the visual approach though :D ??

Could have used one of those last year working under the hood...

TOWER: "522 Yankee cleared for the option, runway one eight -- be aware turkeys halfway down the east side, just off the runway..."

ME: "Cleared 18, looking for the turkey..."

TOWER: "Should be sitting next to you..."

ME: "Roger, have the turkey in sight..."

Then we went out and practiced holds for a really, really long time....

David Clarks?

Yeah, my construction background slipped out on that one! Big time brain fart. I have a couple of David Whites...have one David Clark also...

:eek:

As long as you aren't communicating with ATC, I agree. Flying IFR or even VFR around busy airspace? Not so much so, IMO.

I have never had a problem missing a call because of music even though I don't use the "mute" feature. It's on all the time. It's not blasting, but it's on.

I think those who are predisposed to miss calls will miss them regardless. I think those who pay attention will pay attention regardless. It's never caused an issue and I've never understood why everyone is so gun shy of music in the cockpit.

I think it's much less distracting than numerous other "normal" items...like a passenger for example.

But, that's just me.

Last edited:
I have never had a problem missing a call because of music even though I don't use the "mute" feature. It's on all the time. It's not blasting, but it's on.

I think those who are predisposed to miss calls will miss them regardless. I think those who pay attention will pay attention regardless. It's never caused an issue and I've never understood why everyone is so gun shy of music in the cockpit.

I think it's much less distracting than numerous other "normal" items...like a passenger for example.

But, that's just me.

I've never really tried; it's mainly fear of messing up! Any my passenger is Leslie (or I'm her passenger, depending on the leg), so that's not a problem. Heading up to AK this summer I expect we'll hook up some music!

Back