So I did poorly in highschool and I have goals of flying for my supper.

AaronW

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AaronW
I'm 33 right now and I really want to complete a 4 year professional aviation degree at a public college, it includes all of the flight ratings to CFI-I. I already have a good portion of the general studies required completed. I spoke with a flight instructor at the campus, and he said that I may be able to complete the degree in 3 years. My current college GPA is 3.1 and I plan on raising it higher, hopefully doing extremely well on all of my check rides.

Is my employment outlook completely abyssal even if I completely rock everything during my time at this college and with my flight training?

Do you mean because of your age? Everyone tells me no problem. I’m 36 and going full throttle for a flying career right now. There also is a tale of a regional hiring a 62 yr old.

I mean because of my poor high school performance. Also.. what's with the colored in states in your sig?

Unless it hinders you getting into a university, no body cares about your high school grades. Even then u can transfer after getting street cred at a Jr College.

?#2: states I’ve flown in are colored.

Unless it hinders you getting into a university, no body cares about your high school grades. Even then u can transfer after getting street cred at a Jr College.

?#2: states I’ve flown in are colored.

Right right! I didn't mention earlier, but I have 35 hours already with a 3.1 GPA.

And sweet! I live in the south too! The college I plan on going to is in MS and I live in LA

Well ya gotta pay me more if you want me to read your entire post!

And you also can leave the 10 yr old newspaper delivery route job off your resume.

You want airlines? They want 1500 hrs and a pulse.

Well ya gotta pay me more if you want me to read your entire post!

And you also can leave the 10 yr old newspaper delivery route job off your resume.

You want airlines? They want 1500 hrs and a pulse.

I can't get in with the rATP at 1000?

Colleges are desperate for students right now and with the approaching demographic cliff of college age kids they will be more so.

Show up with money and they will make it work.

Good that you're thinking through the issues. I've hired many people over the years. A fresh out of college person, I looked at grades and what else that person did that might be applicable to the job (statistics, etc. ). After that, you list your experience and past jobs, and put your education last on your resume without even listing your GPA.

If anyone ever asks a college graduate about high school, politely walk away. That tells you they really have no idea what they're doing.

Well done on having a solid B average. If you can push that further, wouldn't hurt.

As long as High School didn't involve anything involving an arrest, conviction, jail time, etc. you're good. My CFI had to explain why he pleaded guilty to a speeding ticket 10 year past - so they are picky about those things. But HS GPA? Don't worry about it.

A tip I heard between CFI's - make sure you can pass your first class medical. If there is anything that would block it or reasonably prevent it from being renewed in the future you need to know that now before committing.

BTW - my CFI was a guy mid 30's who just left to his airline job.

Last edited:
Good that you're thinking through the issues. I've hired many people over the years. A fresh out of college person, I looked at grades and what else that person did that might be applicable to the job (statistics, etc. ). After that, you list your experience and past jobs, and put your education last on your resume without even listing your GPA.

If anyone ever asks a college graduate about high school, politely walk away. That tells you they really have no idea what they're doing.

The job history really bothers me as well. I had small crappy jobs, one in the oilfield for a few months for dropping it to go to college, family issues came up at home so I had to stop college, just a bunch of oddjobs here and there.. That's REALLY why I'm doing what I'm doing now. Aviation is honestly the only thing that has ever in my live interested me and been something that I've wanted to do.

My first semester in college, I got a "D" in private pilot ground school. I missed the entire last 1/2 of the classes do to family emergency. I was too late to drop and take a "W". I repeated the next semester and got an A and graduated with a 3.9 gpa. I still got hammered over the D during my regional airline interview. I was still hired anyway, even though this was back when getting hired was much harder than today. Maybe you will be drilled about your poor grades during an interview, but it is just a way to see how you handle yourself under pressure. Your college performance is going to be more relevant.

My first semester in college, I got a "D" in private pilot ground school. I missed the entire last 1/2 of the classes do to family emergency. I was too late to drop and take a "W". I repeated the next semester and got an A and graduated with a 3.9 gpa. I still got hammered over the D during my regional airline interview. I was still hired anyway, even though this was back when getting hired was much harder than today. Maybe you will be drilled about your poor grades during an interview, but it is just a way to see how you handle yourself under pressure. Your college performance is going to be more relevant.

Sweet, thanks a lot- really takes a weight off of me. Even if I would be happy with a not-so-glamorous flying job, it's good to know that I will still have options.

Do you mean because of your age? Everyone tells me no problem. I’m 36 and going full throttle for a flying career right now. There also is a tale of a regional hiring a 62 yr old.

Yeah, I know a bunch of guys in their 30s and 40s going for the airlines. I have a friend who was hired by a regional in his 50s recently.

I can't get in with the rATP at 1000?

You can, if you meet the other requirements. That said, 500 hours you get paid for by someone else isn't all that much.

The last time anyone asked for my high school GPA was when I applied to college.

Yeah, I know a bunch of guys in their 30s and 40s going for the airlines. I have a friend who was hired by a regional in his 50s recently.

You can, if you meet the other requirements. That said, 500 hours you get paid for by someone else isn't all that much.

Well my main goal obviously is to win the lottery and buy a DA62 to get my hours in ;) Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Well my main goal obviously is to win the lottery and buy a King Air to get my hours in ;) Wish me luck!

Why get a King Air when you can get a superior Conquest or Cheyenne 400, right @Ted DuPuis ? :p

Still, I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as the mediocre high school grades. 3.1 in college will be fine for them.

Why get a King Air when you can get a superior Conquest or Cheyenne 400, right @Ted DuPuis ? :p

Still, I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as the mediocre high school grades. 3.1 in college will be fine for them.

I changed my mind, I'd rather get a DA62. But yes, 3.1 feels alright- but I do plan on working hard and taking advantage of tutoring to get a better GPA.

I changed my mind, I'd rather get a DA62. But yes, 3.1 feels alright- but I do plan on working hard and taking advantage of tutoring to get a better GPA.

Do the best you can. The better your grades, the more back up plans you have.

The job history really bothers me as well. I had small crappy jobs, one in the oilfield for a few months for dropping it to go to college, family issues came up at home so I had to stop college, just a bunch of oddjobs here and there.. That's REALLY why I'm doing what I'm doing now. Aviation is honestly the only thing that has ever in my live interested me and been something that I've wanted to do.

Resume after your college and you get the hours: Your hours, your college degree (no one lists High School - it would look rather childish), and then list your various past jobs that you worked hard at. Heck, do airline pilot applicants even have resumes? For me, a guy who is willing to work on an oil field tells me you're not afraid of hard work. Going to college a few years late? Tells me your mature and determined, unlike flaky 18 year olds.

I did horrible in highschool and the first year of college, and I've done just fine in the corporate aviation industry. I applied at all the majors about two years ago when I had a moment of weakness, and all of them wanted my high school GPA. Maybe that's why they never called me. Probably not, but your poor highschool grades should not hinder your career.

Once I entered college, NOBODY ever asked me about my high school grades.

Back