GDL 88 and Flightstream 210 - Installation Cost?

Deelee

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Deelee
Have searched high and low for this, but can't find even a range of installation costs to install a Garmin GDL 88 and Flightstream 210 (and connect it up to a 430w) in a Piper Arrow.

Scenario: Currently, there is a GDL 82 installed for ADS-B out. I want to get the following:

1. Traffic and weather. I don't necessarily care if this comes across on the 430w, but I want it on my iPad running GarminPilot at least. I know there are cheap, externally mounted solutions for this like the GDL 50, but I also want....
2. The ability to import/export/modify flight plans via connext. Thus the flightstream 210.

I figured if I am getting a FS 210 installed, they might as well drop in a GDL 88 so I get everything I want in an integrated manner. Plus, with the GDL 88 via FS 210 connectivity, I get aural traffic alerts - not sure if I can do that with the GDL 50.

Does anyone have any idea how much that might cost to have installed? Or if there are better/more elegant/cheaper options to get traffic/weather and flight plan import/export?
Thanks!

What transponder is in it now?

Super modern KT 76a. Sorry I forgot to mention that!

A 345 or 375 would be better/more elegant.

GTX 345 is niiiice. I guess I would still need the FS210 to get flight plan transfer, right?

And any idea how much a GTX 345 + FS 210 would be to install units/parts/labor?

That’s not bad. So probably not much more for the FS210 as well? Or is that more involved?

FS210 is a pretty easy electrical hookup, just a RS422 and RS232 to the 345 and a RS232 to the 430W, plus power and ground. As far as wiring it’s a simple task, but it does need to be mounted level with the airplane and pointed properly in the direction of flight, that can increase the labor if you don’t have a convenient place to mount it behind the panel and have to run wires farther away or build a shelf.

My avionics shop mounted the FS 210 on a small doubler plate on the inside bottom of the fuselage aft of the rear passenger compartment bulkhead. No easy place under the panel and the GDL 88D was already on the avionics shelf back there.

Thanks! All really helpful. I think I will go with the 345 + fs210 combo. Seems pretty straightforward and good bang for the buck as long as the shops don’t start quoting ridiculous installation numbers.

Was pondering this some more and I am thinking about just getting a GDL 50 for a year or two which will get me traffic and weather on the iPad (and enhanced gps, attitude and altitude). See if I can live with this for a year or two and then maybe upgrade in a couple years when the next big thing is out - maybe integrated FLightstream and traffic weather. Or maybe the cost of a gtx 345 will have come down.

anybody use a GDL 50 with their tablet? Looks pretty solid even though not the most elegant, integrated solution.

Total back in the day when these were state of art...about $7000 all in.

anybody use a GDL 50 with their tablet? Looks pretty solid even though not the most elegant, integrated solution.

Yup. Works great with Garmin Pilot. Way better than the GDL39 it replaced.

I'm installing an FS210 at annual right now, if that complicates your decisioning more. :D My plan is to harness for the GDL-88 but the value isn't there for me to grab one yet. I'll wait for the GDL88+1 to be released by Garmin and all the upgraders drop them for pennies.

$7000 doesn’t sound that bad, but yeah not so state of the art anymore.

@schmookeeg How much for the 210 install if you don’t mind me asking? Might just do that then get the the gdl-88 later like you mentioned.

Back