My life change - back to flying

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
I was lucky in my teens to get all my ratings & started flying full times as a CFI at the ripe age of 18. This was back in the late 70's. It didn't take me long to wrack up 1,500 hrs & start flying 135. I even spent two summers as a spotter pilot in 182's for the USFS doing fire patrol.

All sounds great but...there were next to zero good flying jobs that paid anything back then & I made the mistake of getting married. End of flying career. I tried several other things but ended up selling John Deere equipment for 30+ years. I enjoyed it. The money was good & thus was able to own a few airplanes along the way.

Two weeks ago, I left my career behind at the encouragement of my wife of 12 years. She know's that flying was my first love (next to her of course!).

I reinstated my CFII four years ago after buying my 182 & a two-place sailplane & started giving soaring lessons. We enjoyed the business but it was a lot of hard work without much financial reward so we shut it down. We flew two seasons.

I'm now embarking on flying full-time again. Actually, I have my first interview as a full-time CFI next week. I've done corporate flying too in the past but instructing is what I love to do.

So wish me luck on my crazy scheme as I start down a new path. Thanks for letting me ramble.

Congratulations, I hope everything works out for you! Keep us posted!

The world is desperate for more good CFI's out there. So, yay!!

Are you looking to stay in the PNW or possibly relocate?

Are you looking to stay in the PNW or possibly relocate?

I would prefer to stay here but my wife & I have discussed buying a motorhome that we could live in & travel the southern states & find places to instruct along the way. She would do it in a heartbeat but I'm the hesitant one. Maybe too big of a comfort zone change for me.

I would prefer to stay here but my wife & I have discussed buying a motorhome that we could live in & travel the southern states & find places to instruct along the way. She would do it in a heartbeat but I'm the hesitant one. Maybe too big of a comfort zone change for me.

That would be my idea as well. Perhaps a snowbird model--North in the Summer and South in the Winter in search of instructing gigs.

Years ago when I was instructing in gliders, we had a guy who spent his summers (he was a teacher in real life) working for a glider operator, living out of his RV.

It’s just a really unreliable house. Have friends who do it. Their major issues are just fixing all the cheap RV components that break. Other than that, home is where the food is. LOL.

Good luck. The joke is:What’s the difference between a CFI and a large pizza? The pizza can feed a family of four!

Is there a peak time when you sell Johnny Poppers? If so, could you instruct during non-peak times, and after normal work hours?

Just asking.

Back