Nissan Armada or...

I just rented from Hertz last week. Don't buy that car.

What did you do to it? How can one rental damage the car? Just curious (will not buy that exact car anyway, mine is already selected). What did you think overall of the car?

The amount of suspension travel is horrible. Luckily, I will not be using my Armada for off-roading. My wife's 15 model is very capable and we also have an Xterra.

Was very disappointed taking a rental Armada off paved roads and onto rutted dirt/gravel for a camping trip. Suspension travel is horrible. It spent much of the time see-sawing on diagonal wheels with one or the other opposite corners up in the air, happily spinning away in 4WD without locking differentials. So much for “Sport Utility”. More like “Sport Suburban Shopping Mall”.

Similar to this article:

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-happens-when-the-2017-nissan-titan-and-armad-1785201987

mzqcyd2sh0wlujo5mpoa.png

ouqbd2ibtlfxypfsklk4.png

I've always owned Jeeps, so gotta throw the hat in the ring for a Grand Cherokee. That would be my SUV of choice, if I were in the market for anything resembling a mid-size SUV.

I know a lot of folks will bring up quality issues with Jeeps, but I've owned three of them (93 Cherokee, 04 Grand Cherokee, and a 16 Wrangler), and never had a major maintenance or quality issue with any of them. I'll always own at least one model of them, especially living in Colorado where I can take full advantage of them in the snow, and on trails.

Granted, I don't have a family or kids, so I don't need, nor am I familiar with, all the amenities in SUVs nowadays that cater to families and kids. But just as a reliable, capable vehicle that can fulfill those SUV chores (including daily driver and offroading), I'm a Jeep lifer.

What did you do to it? How can one rental damage the car? Just curious (will not buy that exact car anyway, mine is already selected). What did you think overall of the car?

It was a Chevy - suspension squeaked, it rolled in turns. And I drove it like I stole it ;D

I've always owned Jeeps, so gotta throw the hat in the ring for a Grand Cherokee. That would be my SUV of choice, if I were in the market for anything resembling a mid-size SUV.

I know a lot of folks will bring up quality issues with Jeeps, but I've owned three of them (93 Cherokee, 04 Grand Cherokee, and a 16 Wrangler), and never had a major maintenance or quality issue with any of them. I'll always own at least one model of them, especially living in Colorado where I can take full advantage of them in the snow, and on trails.

Granted, I don't have a family or kids, so I don't need, nor am I familiar with, all the amenities in SUVs nowadays that cater to families and kids. But just as a reliable, capable vehicle that can fulfill those SUV chores (including daily driver and offroading), I'm a Jeep lifer.

The Jeep GC is a great SUV . . . if you enjoy appalling fuel mileage while ALSO having poor interior space, lol. The GC gets about the same mileage as the Armada, despite being much smaller. It’s certainly a capable off-roader, but no one ever takes a GC on any serious off-roading, at least not in the first decade of ownership, lol.

I’d just assume get the Durango if I was wanting the GC. Basically the same vehicle chassis but with better interior space and a third row seat if you need it.

. . . if you enjoy appalling fuel mileage while ALSO having poor interior space, lol.

I've never bought a vehicle based on MPG nor interior space, so yeah those criteria don't mean anything to me. I use my Wrangler as a daily driver, and don't even know (nor care) what kind of mileage I'm getting. I just fill it up when the gauge gets to E. I also got the two-door version and took the rear seat out after I bought it because I didn't need the interior space for cargo nor passengers.

I'm sure if I had a family or kids, those things would mean more to me and they'd rate a lot higher on my must-have list when evaluating vehicles. But for right now, my criteria is pretty simple - is it fun to drive, reasonably reliable, and can I afford it? If those three boxes are checked, then it's a contender. I like simple criteria :)

I've never bought a vehicle based on MPG nor interior space, so yeah those criteria don't mean anything to me. I use my Wrangler as a daily driver, and don't even know (nor care) what kind of mileage I'm getting. I just fill it up when the gauge gets to E. I also got the two-door version and took the rear seat out after I bought it because I didn't need the interior space for cargo nor passengers.

I'm sure if I had a family or kids, those things would mean more to me and they'd rate a lot higher on my must-have list when evaluating vehicles. But for right now, my criteria is pretty simple - is it fun to drive, reasonably reliable, and can I afford it? If those three boxes are checked, then it's a contender. I like simple criteria :)

Right, well OP was talking about driving around with his business partners, so he’ll have a need for the backseat. The GC is a good, capable SUV, especially if you don’t need any more than 4 adults in it. I love the way they look as well. They are pretty small in the cargo room though, so that’s why I’d opt for the Durango since your getting 95% the same vehicle as the GC, just on a slightly longer wheelbase to accommodate the 3rd row. Engine, tranny, and 4WD components are pretty much identical. The Durango generally costs less, too.

I just stumbled across this thread; never thought to check POA before car shopping, lol. I just picked up a 2018 SL with 17k miles. The Armadas must be popular rental cars because nearly all the late model trucks were former rental fleet vehicles. Mine happened to be a trade-in at a Porsche dealership, of all places. I don’t expect it will get a lot of off road exposure...mostly snow ops for now and beach driving a few years down the road when it’s not so pretty.

The truck replaced a 2013 Honda Pilot that got t-boned by a red-light running teenager. We’d been thinking about upgrading from the Honda anyway because legroom behind my seat is minimal. We checked out the new Korean SUV offerings (Telluride and Palisade) but they didn’t hold a candle to the full-size class, and Armada in particular. Fuel economy isn’t great, but we drive less than 10k a year so fuel is not a significant cost driver for us.

I really like the truck...since 2017 it’s a Japanese built US-badged Nissan Patrol that’s been around for years. Around much of the world, the Nissan Patrol is the main competition to the Toyota Land Cruiser. It’s pretty darn similar to the Infinity QX80 and shares much of the same luxury.

The Armada’s technology is a bit long in the tooth; the GPS looks about the same generation as my old 2006 LR3 and lacks Apple CarPlay. It does have adaptive cruise control and collision avoidance, but lacks lane assist (which is on the top of the line model). For what it is, it’s a good value to us.

FWIW, I’m happy.

Last edited:
Congrats. It is a great SUV.
We ended up buying a 2015 model from Hertz. It is now 3.5 years later, it has 90,000 miles, has not given us any problems, and we love it. With the second and third row seats flattened, three of us sleep in the SUV very comfortably. Will buy again from Hertz.

I have a new one, I'm seeing 15 mpg in the city and around 20+ mpg on the highway actual, I see mostly city driving.

In snow, the "snow mode" works better than with it off. I haven't tried 4 wheel drive as yet.

FWIW
Nissan CVT = vomit. Coworker had a brand new Rogue 2016ish (Rogue = also vomit) trash one @ 55k miles, He ate $5k fixing it. The Nissan dealer warranty on a brand new CVT was a joke, 3 years 30k miles IIRC. This happened last year. I kinda like their Altima cars but their CVT is a damn shame and no way I would buy one.

Their other transmissions are probably fine.
The Armada doesn't use that transmission. I have a Murano which has been trouble free, it has the CVT. It is also many years old, so I recognize the design may have changed or I am lucky in that regard.

The first car I ever bought myself was a brand new Nissan pickup, smallest one they made. It lived outside the whole 14 years I owned it. The thing never broke, and got great mileage for a truck. I'd happily buy a Nissan anything after that.

I would never buy a car from a rental agency no matte what. Too many guys like me who beat on them hard. Last car rental I had I spent most of the time trying to squeal the tires. Not easy on a subcompact.

The Armadas (and Patrols) I've driven have all been as rentals through National. They have a TON of them running around Houston out of both Hobby and IAH. As you mentioned the design is a bit long in the tooth (but still looks elegant to me), and there's just about zero reason to consider the Infiniti variant as they appear almost identical and 95% of the Infiniti features are available at a lower price in the Armada. Their interior design/Infotainment system is ancient in both models as well, but still functions well for what it is. I'd happily own a used Armada. I don't know what happened with Nissan/Infiniti interior/tech designers, but it went bland and has had zero innovation since the late '00s, the powertrain/exterior designers have knocked it out of the park on several models (save for the CVT).

I'm holding out for an '18 Expedition myself for the wife to drive, but prices are still too rich for my blood on the used market ($45K for an '18 Limited 4WD model with 40K miles). If money were no object the Navigator blows every other full size SUV out of the water, but spending $65-70K on a used SUV is certifiably insane, lol.

I really like the truck...since 2017 it’s a Japanese built US-badged Nissan Patrol that’s been around for years. Around much of the world, the Nissan Patrol is the main competition to the Toyota Land Cruiser.
Since your truck does not burn diesel, does that make it a petrol Patrol? (probably sounds funnier when spoken with a European accent)

I have a Sequoia. One of the best running cars I have had. Big though.
Sequoia for space, Land Cruiser for luxury, Cayenne for wow factor. Denali's are nice also. LR/RR are nice, but small inside and the old adage is to buy 2 so you always have one that works

LR/RR are nice, but small inside and the old adage is to buy 2 so you always have one that works

My last Land Rover (LR3) was only 7 years old when the transmission crapped out on the way home from the dealership having just paid $4,000 worth of repairs. After spending $800 at the transmission shop (the dealer couldn't service their own transmissions) to find out it was literally unrepairable, I gave up and it got sent off to the auction.

No more Land Rovers for me, sadly. Too bad, they're beautiful capable vehicles.

Since your truck does not burn diesel, does that make it a petrol Patrol? (probably sounds funnier when spoken with a European accent)

I figured that would be a pretty common joke in other parts of the English speaking world.

Everything from Nissan and Toyota feels like it should be a previous generation. I’d like to drive the new(ish) Chevy Blazer

Still have my Frontier. Now I started commuting in it and it developed a drinking problem. But that's the result of the territory. 80mph up and down through the hills. The manual transmission is coupled to a fairly low geared rear end to support the tow rating, so the thing is running all-out on the uphills and its missing a gear or two for the downhills. So fuel consumption is down to 18-19mpg.
I'll have to add a commuter car to the fleet.

Everything from Nissan and Toyota feels like it should be a previous generation. I’d like to drive the new(ish) Chevy Blazer
Eh, for Nissan the Maxima/Altima/Murano are pretty modern, Titan is okay. The Frontier/Armada/Pathfinder seem like they need a revamp, but mostly on the interiors. Toyota hasn't ever felt like they were on the leading edge of anything, just really reliable.

Back