Thinking about a train

My buddy, Joe, rebuilds steam locomotives as a hobby.
Every time he returns one to service I get to ride shotgun and shovel coal.

I am sure someone would complain about this....

I think I've seen a version of that video where the sled nearly stops the train and embers are basically boiling over out of the the top pipe. I kept waiting for the kaboom. Then the engineer threw the clutch right before the engine bogged iteslf down. It was impressive.

I do know the GEs and EMDs have a very different sound. The GEs kind of make a chugging sound, the EMDs a constant and annoying drone. As I live super close to a rail line and see trains passing by all the time, you'd think I'd learn more about locomotives, but all I really know is they're mostly black and mostly look the same, although they sound different.

Interesting sound description, and from that I think most of the locomotives going past my house are EMDs - much constant annoying drone.

Here's a good lesson in: Weight + torque > shaft horsepower

Jay Leno owns a few steam cars. The videos he has on them are very interesting. Of course they're single gear and the starting sequence is complex compared to gasoline or diesel cars (even of that period), but the operation is simple and the torque on them is immense, with very smooth operation. He's referred to it as "The hand of God" before. It makes me want to build one at some point. They're not inherently difficult to build, something that really you could do from somewhat regular parts and simple machining, unlike a car engine which you really couldn't machine from scratch.

Interesting sound description, and from that I think most of the locomotives going past my house are EMDs - much constant annoying drone.

I think the track by your house is a Union Pacific line?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_Railroad#2013_locomotive_roster

According to that Wiki, UP has about 1500 GE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_AC4400CW

and about 1500 EMD
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_SD70_series

and that's just those particular models.

They have many more, and seem evenly split between GE and EMD.

Jay Leno owns a few steam cars. The videos he has on them are very interesting. Of course they're single gear and the starting sequence is complex compared to gasoline or diesel cars (even of that period), but the operation is simple and the torque on them is immense, with very smooth operation. He's referred to it as "The hand of God" before. It makes me want to build one at some point. They're not inherently difficult to build, something that really you could do from somewhat regular parts and simple machining, unlike a car engine which you really couldn't machine from scratch.

Lots fewer EMD's running around these days than GE's. EMD kind of gave the market away starting in the 80's, just didn't adapt quick enough. They're still in the market, just GE (now part of Wabtec), has a much bigger market share. Not to say there aren't EMD's, but they're much fewer. I can't remember which line it is that runs thru Paola, if it's the UP line or the BNSF line. EMD's are used a lot on coal drags around these parts, and I do remember lots of coal traffic on the UP line coming south out of KC (grew up real close to it in Overland Park/Stilwell).

I think the track by your house is a Union Pacific line?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_Railroad#2013_locomotive_roster

According to that Wiki, UP has about 1500 GE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_AC4400CW

and about 1500 EMD
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_SD70_series

and that's just those particular models.

They have many more, and seem evenly split between GE and EMD.

I think it is a UP, the Big Boy steam locomotive came through so that was UP. I guess thinking about it I do hear both the constant drone and the chugga chugga sounding ones. I'd noticed it but not thought much of it previously. Locomotives look pretty similar to me (kinda like bizjets used to).

We have a major N&S line 100ft from the house, trains run 24/7. It was interesting until we got used to it, now I sleep through the night. Luckily no grade crossings near, so just locomotive and train noise, no horns.

We have a major N&S line 100ft from the house, trains run 24/7. It was interesting until we got used to it, now I sleep through the night. Luckily no grade crossings near, so just locomotive and train noise, no horns.

We live about 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile up from a crossing, and there's nothing that really blocks sound. So we'll hear the train horns from one or two crossings down. At night in the winter you'll hear the train for a few miles. But we're used to it and sleep through it fine. Doesn't bother me any, I rather like the trains.

This gets me thinking, "Thinking about a web cam suitable for streaming trains running by my house"

Basically set up a live stream, there are plenty of trains, and the rail fans would probably like it. Any downsides?

We stayed at a hotel in Davenport, IA one night. It was right between the tracks and the river. We checked in and the front desk gave us foam earplugs and an apology. It was a fairly new Holiday Inn Express and I guess they got a good deal on the property. I sort of joked about it to my wife, but we are so used to trains where we live, that it didn't bother us at all. We are a bit farther away from the crossings and tracks than Ted is, but in the winter with no leaves on trees to help block sound it carries quite a ways.

This gets me thinking, "Thinking about a web cam suitable for streaming trains running by my house"

Basically set up a live stream, there are plenty of trains, and the rail fans would probably like it. Any downsides?

There are a couple streaming type channels on youtube. Virtual Railfan is one, contact them, if the line is busy enough, they make work with you.

Doesn't bother me any, I rather like the trains.

I enjoy watching the trains roll by, especially when I'm sitting in the upstairs front porch. This puts the trains about at eye level, and only 100ft away you get great views. I really like it actually...

My daughter takes Amtrak when she comes to visit. The westbound train (from us to her) comes through KC from Chicago. I catch the La Plata, MO webcam to get a heads up on if it's on schedule into KC.

This view faces east - the station platform is on the lower left, so the westbound trains will be coming into the camera and the eastbound trains going away.

On the Youtube site, comments will be live and let you know what train is scheduled to roll through next.

Right now I see a few people on the platform. It's interesting that in this part of the country a lot of Mennonites(?) will use the train, so you'll see a lot of clothing styles that you may not be used to.

Amtrak should arrive at about 9:40a central, it's running about 10 minutes late. So keep watching for another 20-30 minutes and you'll see the eastbound train to Chicago (the #4 Southwest Chief).

heh - a freight just ran through a blew the hat right off a guy on the platform.

edit: about 3 minutes to arrival, the crowd is growing and the snow is starting, too.

edit: and it's here

edit: and it's gone

Last edited:
Rolling coal!

41018_Schiefe_Ebene_Nov_5_2016.png

That's almost as much smoke as my old '66 GMC van produced.

The town of Gallup, NM exist because of trains. The town was named after the most important and popular person in the company. The pay master...

https://galluprealtrue.com/the-real-gallup/trains

I once read that the daily average number of trains is 1 every 4 minutes. With plenty of crossings so plenty of noise.

Businesses in the downtown area pretty much shut down everytime a train passes because of the horn noise.

Fortunately, and careful planning, I live a couple miles outside of town so to hear the trains I have to make an effort.

And it is not unusual to see the police and others next to a stopped train searching the area near the tracks. My wife asked me once what they were looking for. I told her the other half of the body. She has never asked again.

There's also a fair number of youtuber who are prominent "hobos" and actually put out some interesting content. Illegal as all hell, and they do get pulled off by the bulls from time to time, but an entertaining watch.

You should see how they cast a block for an EMD Tier 4 engine. Got to help develop that (sort of). Cool stuff.

Kind of curious around what year you got out. Was it before or after they turned the MYO's and yardmasters into uber drivers :). I'm a sixth district engineer coming up on seven years now. Keep looking for a way out to be an A&P again but no such jobs in Wy.
I left my position as an MTO in 2015. UP had just laid off over 1500 non-agreement positions system wide and the superintendent held me and 2 MYOs responsible for 24 hour coverage until they “reassessed” their manpower strategy for TE&Y managers. I stayed on long enough to get my bonus then pulled chocks, never looked back. I heard that they totally restructured operations. You say sixth district, which RR?

I left my position as an MTO in 2015. UP had just laid off over 1500 non-agreement positions system wide and the superintendent held me and 2 MYOs responsible for 24 hour coverage until they “reassessed” their manpower strategy for TE&Y managers. I stayed on long enough to get my bonus then pulled chocks, never looked back. I heard that they totally restructured operations. You say sixth district, which RR?
UP. Cover Cheyenne to Granger.
Total restructure is one way to put it. It's more of a stock holder pump and dump. They're hollowing out the company big time.

The one good thing is management and trainmen have a much better relationship. There is almost 0 rules field testing anymore. Also the rules have been relaxed significantly such as electronic devices and getting on and off moving equipment is now allowed.

You got out at a good time.
Edit. Probably said to much.

Last edited:
My wife and I spent a night in a motel between the highway and railway tracks. The desk told us not to try to open the windows, the trains passed close enough to touch. I think she exaggerated, but the noise was impressive. Good to know they were going to go by, so no worries.

On a very different level, I have shoveled coal for a Prairie locomotive on a scenic railway in Pennsylvania, with my small son in the fireman's seat. 40 some years ago.

When I was his age, my father had friends on the Louisville and Nashville, or Southern RR, and they let him bring me on the Texan pusher for the grade west out of Covington, KY. They had 3, and Texans were the most powerful non articulated engines built. It was a monster.

UP. Cover Cheyenne to Granger.
Total restructure is one way to put it. It's more of a stock holder pump and dump. They're hollowing out the company big time.

The one good thing is management and trainmen have a much better relationship. There is almost 0 rules field testing anymore. Also the rules have been relaxed significantly such as electronic devices and getting on and off moving equipment is now allowed.

You got out at a good time.
Edit. Probably said to much.

Crazy stuff,
I was a manager at GR, mostly Soda Ash traffic but the Yard too... So reinstating cardinal rules and building 15K ft trains out of GR Yard, huh?? Thats got to be the Anaconda plus 3&4 Mains doubledover+midtrain DPUs. What a nightmare. How are they flowing Z-trains with the East CPU crossovers frogged? Hard to imagine.....Not to mention having long poolers short on time yarding trains at GR...Hopefully they at least created a utility position to assist. Got to say Im intrigued.
A lot has changed in 4.5 years. Good to hear about labor relation improvements. That was a key determinant for my decision to leave. Couldn’t stomach the testing quota with being a production mnger. Now I get the Uber joke.
I’d like to catch up on all the grit.....PM me if you get a chance.

Last edited:
Here we go. If I went with a train, I'd want to go this kind of style:

Here in Montana a fellow by the name of Dennis Washinton owns one .
Bought it from Burlington Northern a few years back. BNSF has paid for it in track rent back to Dennis.

Back