Not sure what the approach should be

jaxcessnadriver

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jaxcessnadriver
So recently I’ve noticed some job postings at my work for “Gulfstream captains.” I work for one of the countries “big banks” and currently do project management. My job is not my dream, my dream is aviation and flying airplanes. I got my PPL beginning of 2019 and have a little over 70 hours (yes grand scheme low time).

Our company is always saying how they want to empower us to do what we want and grow our career within the company etc etc. The company offers tuition reimbursement etc but that most likely wouldn’t cover anything aviation related it’s usually to better your current position/job functions.

The job posting states 4000 TT experience ATP and 2000 turbine. This leads me to believe it’s probably part 121 operations.

I was going to reach out to the HR recruiter and express interest to try and maybe figure out my next steps. Should I purely state I have questions that I’m a pilot but don’t meet the qualifications can you put me in contact with the chief pilot?

Not sure how to approach this one as I doubt they’ve ever had someone ask them about this especially an internal employee.

To be honest, just leave that be. Your company is looking for established professional pilots, and I doubt they will fund your ambitions to get there in maybe 5-10 years. Continue your training into IR, and commercial and ME on your own time and dime. From there you could make a decision and look for smaller time flying jobs like aerial mapping or such. Also, join a flying club or local EAA chapter to gain contacts in the flying field.

So recently I’ve noticed some job postings at my work for “Gulfstream captains.” I work for one of the countries “big banks” and currently do project management. My job is not my dream, my dream is aviation and flying airplanes. I got my PPL beginning of 2019 and have a little over 70 hours (yes grand scheme low time).

Our company is always saying how they want to empower us to do what we want and grow our career within the company etc etc. The company offers tuition reimbursement etc but that most likely wouldn’t cover anything aviation related it’s usually to better your current position/job functions.

The job posting states 4000 TT experience ATP and 2000 turbine. This leads me to believe it’s probably part 121 operations.

I was going to reach out to the HR recruiter and express interest to try and maybe figure out my next steps. Should I purely state I have questions that I’m a pilot but don’t meet the qualifications can you put me in contact with the chief pilot?

Not sure how to approach this one as I doubt they’ve ever had someone ask them about this especially an internal employee.

I think HR will be quite baffled and not have much of an answer for you. Pilot requirements are not something that the average HR person is going to be very familiar with and you are quite a ways away from the qualifications that the flight dept is looking for. I think the odds of your company helping you in any way (let along funding your training) to go from where you are to experienced company pilots are virtually nil. That being said, you might just reach out to some of the company pilots, introduce yourself as an aspiring PPL and see if they are willing to get coffee with you to chat about their career path. I got to know my previous employers' company pilots pretty well (although in my case, part of that was because our chief pilot happened to be my hangar neighbor for his personal airplane) and those guys were all super nice and friendly. While our company ops rules precluded me from getting any seat time, I got to spend a bunch of time in the jump seat on our company planes when on trips which was fun.

Exactly as @RudyP says. Nothing wrong with making a connection with the Chief Pilot and other pilots. You’ll probably make a long time friend in the company.

It’s most likely a 91 operation. These are simply the minimum qualifications that your company requires.

It is almost certainly Part 91. Their insurance, corporate policies or chief pilot may require the hours.

Back