BasicMed question

FlyBoyAndy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyBoyAndy
I've decided to go BasicMed, and I talked with my physician and he understands what needs to be done. My exam is in March and I've given him the documentation. I've completed the AOPA Medical Self-Assessment Online Course, but I haven't complete the last section because I haven't had the exam, but is that all that I have to complete once I have the exam? Just keep the certificate and the exam paperwork? I'm sure they update my medical information with the FAA, right?

Thanks

BasicMed isn't the FAA's business. Put your card in your pocket and the signed form someplace safe.

Well, yeah, it kinda is, at least to the point that you've registered as a BASICMED holder.
faa db shows this for me
Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 1.31.00 PM.png

BasicMed isn't the FAA's business. Put your card in your pocket and the signed form someplace safe.

I believe you need to keep the form in your logbook. From https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/media/basicmed_faq.pdf

Q22: What documentation do I need to keep? A: You only need to keep the original or a legible copy of your Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist (all pages) and your medical education course completion certificate. You must store these in your logbook; you can store them electronically in any format, as long as you can produce an accurate and legible representation of these documents at the request of the FAA. You don’t have to carry either of these documents in any form while flying under BasicMed.

So keep your logbook someplace safe. Like in a safe.

Also note:

Q5: Do I need to keep my expired paper medical certificate as proof that I held a medical since July 15, 2006? A: It’s not a bad idea to hold on to your expired medical certificate (or documentation from the FAA of that medical certificate) but there is no requirement for that.

I just went through it myself...read...and re-read...and re-read the regs and AOPA's info on it. Talked with Gary Crump at AOPA about it too (although didn't speak to him about this question exactly)....

anyway,
Once I had the doctor's signature and form completed, I just logged back in and entered the dates. that generated a certificate to print.
I took it a step further and kept the digital version of the cert (pdf document i believe it was) along with a scanned copy of the signed form from the exam so that I have a digital "backup"

My understanding is to keep the doctor signed form along with the certificate printed and filed along with my log book. No need to keep any of it with you. Just your pilot's cert. to fly
But since I'm currently renting and getting dual to knock the rust off I have been carrying it all in my flight bag.

Honestly, I kinda wish that I'd have just went in for a class 3. I don't see much advantage.....

Honestly, I kinda wish that I'd have just went in for a class 3. I don't see much advantage.....

The big advantage is for people like me who would otherwise have to renew an SI every year, at considerable expense and hassle, and the risk every year of the FAA not renewing it or coming up with some new hurdle.

It also avoids future SIs. Suppose two years from now you had gallstones. Or developed diabetes. Or sleep apnea. Whatever. You might need to self ground whi!e you deal with it, but with Basic Med there's no risk to your med cert or need for an SI

I just went through it myself...read...and re-read...and re-read the regs and AOPA's info on it. Talked with Gary Crump at AOPA about it too (although didn't speak to him about this question exactly)....

anyway,
Once I had the doctor's signature and form completed, I just logged back in and entered the dates. that generated a certificate to print.
I took it a step further and kept the digital version of the cert (pdf document i believe it was) along with a scanned copy of the signed form from the exam so that I have a digital "backup"

My understanding is to keep the doctor signed form along with the certificate printed and filed along with my log book. No need to keep any of it with you. Just your pilot's cert. to fly
But since I'm currently renting and getting dual to knock the rust off I have been carrying it all in my flight bag.

You can still go for a Class 3. The advantages of BasicMed - less expense and hassle for many, being examined by your personal physician, not the FAA's, most medical decisions being made by you and your doctor without FAA oversight, no need to qualify for a Special Issuance for most conditions; no need to qualify for a later SI for some conditions - are not important to everyone.

The big advantage is for people like me who would otherwise have to renew an SI every year, at considerable expense and hassle, and the risk every year of the FAA not renewing it or coming up with some new hurdle.

It also avoids future SIs. Suppose two years from now you had gallstones. Or developed diabetes. Or sleep apnea. Whatever. You might need to self ground whi!e you deal with it, but with Basic Med there's no risk to your med cert or need for an SI
BasicMed not only avoids potential expense and hassle, but also RIDICULOUS delays, based on what we hear on forums like this one.

It would be nice to be able to fly in Canadian airspace, and to act as a safety pilot without acting as pilot-in-command, but those are privileges that I can live without.

I do not believe that you are correct here as I just took the course. I have a SI for sleep apnea and high blood pressure. I'm going BasicMed because I've already dealt with them, but if you have some other condition that requires an SI, you need to deal with that outside of BaiscMed.

I do not believe that you are correct here as I just took the course. I have a SI for sleep apnea and high blood pressure. I'm going BasicMed because I've already dealt with them, but if you have some other condition that requires an SI, you need to deal with that outside of BaiscMed.

Only the big three need a one time SI from the FAA.

• A mental health disorder, limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of—
    • A personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts;
    • A psychosis, defined as a case in which an individual —
      • Has manifested delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis; or
      • May reasonably be expected to manifest delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis;
    • A bipolar disorder; or
    • A substance dependence within the previous 2 years, as defined in §67.307(a)(4) of 14 Code of Federal Regulations
  • A neurological disorder, limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:
    • Epilepsy;
    • Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause; or
    • A transient loss of control of nervous system functions without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause.
  • A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:
    • Myocardial infarction;
    • Coronary heart disease that has required treatment;
    • Cardiac valve replacement; or
    • Heart replacement.

Only the big three need a one time SI from the FAA.
There's "belief" and then there are published rules.

Only certain conditions require an SI prior to Basic Med, and then it's one-time only:

• A mental health disorder, limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of—
    • A personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts;
    • A psychosis, defined as a case in which an individual —
      • Has manifested delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis; or
      • May reasonably be expected to manifest delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis;
    • A bipolar disorder; or
    • A substance dependence within the previous 2 years, as defined in §67.307(a)(4) of 14 Code of Federal Regulations
  • A neurological disorder, limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:
    • Epilepsy;
    • Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause; or
    • A transient loss of control of nervous system functions without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause.
  • A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:
    • Myocardial infarction;
    • Coronary heart disease that has required treatment;
    • Cardiac valve replacement; or
    • Heart replacement.
See https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/ . Sleep apnea is not on the list.

Back