My Navlog spreadsheet for X/C planning - save time...

FlyingMonkey

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingMonkey
In the spirit of giving something back to the community, I want to share my Navlog spreadsheet that I created for planning X/C trips during student pilot training. Here are some features:

1) Will do all E6B calculations for WCA, Magnetic Variation, GS, ETE, Fuel Burn based on your performance inputs from the POH.

2) Both Sheets FOLD in half and show you pertinent info at a glance and hides less essential info when placed on a kneeboard.

3) Weight and Balance calculator built in - YOU MUST modify the Empty weight, CG, Arms, etc along with the Envelope data points for YOUR PARTICULAR AIRCRAFT. I am not liable for your miscalculations. All this info can be found in your POH.

4) Pressure Altitude and Density Altitude calculator.

5) Flight Plan form and weather note fields

6) This one is made for aircraft that have the POH in MPH- the spreadsheet converts the TAS (MPH) to KTS so the rest of the calculations for groundspeed will be in KTS and the leg times will be accurate since the legs are measured in nm and not sm off a chart! If your aircraft is KTS just type the TAS figures in the TAS (KTS) fields instead.

The way to use this chart is to fill in all green fields. (also fill in total fuel and GPH fuel burn). Print it out and fold both sheets in half and place on a kneeboard.

DISCLAIMER- double check all your calculations. I am not responsible for any miscalculations or erroneous inputting.

ALSO, this spreadsheet is in APPLE NUMBERS format. It's a free app, and also available online through a free iCloud account. It is superior to Excel in many ways and a whole lot prettier. Also this means it works on an iPad with the Numbers app. Good times!

Hope this is useful to someone.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t2ow5gcmm1c6zsg/AABI-Ww3l_8tyMpZiOfk-g7Xa?dl=0

Any way this could be used for PC users?...and dare I say, even android? :)

Nice work, by the way!

I'm pretty sure PC users can create a free icloud account and log in to icloud.com and use the Numbers web app. Also it can be converted to Excel from there but i figure a PC person can do that if they'd like!

I'm iIlliterate, so hopefully someone will do the PC conversion for me and the rest of us :p

Here are some screenshots:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 8.12.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 8.12.10 AM.png
    264.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 7.28.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 7.28.54 AM.png
    257.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 7.29.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 7.29.03 AM.png
    159.3 KB · Views: 73
Wow. VERY nice.

I did a bit of that as a student, mainly adding the TAS calculations to existing spreadsheets. But this is much more comprehensive.

FYI, Excel spreadsheets usually work on Android, but the formatting may be different.

If you don't have a hard copy make sure you have some other form of backup. A dead battery or bright sunlight shouldn't need to result in a diversion to the nearest airport or a request for vectors from ATC.

One thing I did need to change is that climb airspeed is not the same as cruise airspeed, so I needed a place for that. The solution I chose was adding a climb CAS box, in addition to the cruise CAS box. Otherwise, it looked a whole lot like your nav log. I didn't have W&B.

Last edited:
Hi,
very good material! Congrats!

I remember that I prepared a similar spreadsheet using Excel during my training and it was all written in Spanish since I was flying in Chile. It had the ATC phraseology in Spanish included to support me at the beginning.

This is very nice - and thanks for the Excel conversion. I'm not well-read on the data pints on the last W&B tab and how to move them for the aircraft I fly - but I'm pretty sure I can manage. I've got plenty of methods to double-check my W&B envelopes if I don't figure it out on this particular tab!

Thanks again for putting this together and sharing!

I recommend printing this and folding it for use on a knee board. You can pencil in the Actuals once enroute. Also you can use different airspeed for climb and cruise- just use a different number under the TAS for each leg.

I recommend printing this and folding it for use on a knee board. You can pencil in the Actuals once enroute. Also you can use different airspeed for climb and cruise- just use a different number under the TAS for each leg.

I prefer to climb using CAS. For a cruise-climb, that's constant (e.g., 90 in a 182). TAS is not constant unless the climb is short. For a high climb, Vy (which isn't constant, but varies slowly).

But that should be easy to fix.

You've done the hard work. Thanks.

In the spirit of giving something back to the community, I want to share my Navlog spreadsheet that I created for planning X/C trips during student pilot training. Here are some features:

1) Will do all E6B calculations for WCA, Magnetic Variation, GS, ETE, Fuel Burn based on your performance inputs from the POH.

2) Both Sheets FOLD in half and show you pertinent info at a glance and hides less essential info when placed on a kneeboard.

3) Weight and Balance calculator built in - YOU MUST modify the Empty weight, CG, Arms, etc along with the Envelope data points for YOUR PARTICULAR AIRCRAFT. I am not liable for your miscalculations. All this info can be found in your POH.

4) Pressure Altitude and Density Altitude calculator.

5) Flight Plan form and weather note fields

6) This one is made for aircraft that have the POH in MPH- the spreadsheet converts the TAS (MPH) to KTS so the rest of the calculations for groundspeed will be in KTS and the leg times will be accurate since the legs are measured in nm and not sm off a chart! If your aircraft is KTS just type the TAS figures in the TAS (KTS) fields instead.

The way to use this chart is to fill in all green fields. (also fill in total fuel and GPH fuel burn). Print it out and fold both sheets in half and place on a kneeboard.

DISCLAIMER- double check all your calculations. I am not responsible for any miscalculations or erroneous inputting.

ALSO, this spreadsheet is in APPLE NUMBERS format. It's a free app, and also available online through a free iCloud account. It is superior to Excel in many ways and a whole lot prettier. Also this means it works on an iPad with the Numbers app. Good times!

Hope this is useful to someone.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t2ow5gcmm1c6zsg/AABI-Ww3l_8tyMpZiOfk-g7Xa?dl=0
I downloaded it but got only PDF VERSION

LOL! Looks a bit like something I did more than 20 years ago before all the online planning tools began appearing! I think my first version was in Quattro Pro for DOS! Does yours contain a complete airport and VOR database too?

That's not a flame. Just reminiscing. It's a great and fun project for those who know how.

LOL! Looks a bit like something I did more than 20 years ago before all the online planning tools began appearing! I think my first version was in Quattro Pro for DOS! Does yours contain a complete airport and VOR database too?

That's not a flame. Just reminiscing. It's a great and fun project for those who know how.
Wow! I still have it! This one is from a mountain checkout from 2001! The separate NavLog tabs are different portions of the flight. I forgot my database included NDBs. The names staring with "!" are user waypoints.

NavLogXls.PNG

Nice!

Just make sure you can calculate it manually if this is for a check ride or something.

We should have a place on the site where things like this can be stored at so they don;t get lost.

Hey FlyingMonkey,

Thanks a lot for sharing, that looks awesome and super handy.

I have noticed however than the weight and balance section is for a model that has a max takeoff weight of 2300lbs but the 172R I am flying has a max take off weight of 2450lbs,

Would you please be able to assist me in modifying the C of G chart to suit? (Im not super clued up on doing that king of things on Excell)

Thanks
Clem

Hey FlyingMonkey,

Thanks a lot for sharing, that looks awesome and super handy.

I have noticed however than the weight and balance section is for a model that has a max takeoff weight of 2300lbs but the 172R I am flying has a max take off weight of 2450lbs,

Would you please be able to assist me in modifying the C of G chart to suit? (Im not super clued up on doing that king of things on Excell)

Thanks
Clem

If you go into the W&B graph page on excel, and move the graph out of the way behind it are the data points that define the envelope. You will need to look at your aircraft POH and adjust these points to define the envelope of your aircraft. The first number is the station and the second is the weight. Try adjusting the ones that say 2300 first and watch the graph move and you will understand it. Hope that helps! If you post the graph from your POH I can help you deduce the proper numbers to enter in the spreadsheet....

If you go into the W&B graph page on excel, and move the graph out of the way behind it are the data points that define the envelope. You will need to look at your aircraft POH and adjust these points to define the envelope of your aircraft. The first number is the station and the second is the weight. Try adjusting the ones that say 2300 first and watch the graph move and you will understand it. Hope that helps! If you post the graph from your POH I can help you deduce the proper numbers to enter in the spreadsheet....

Thats awesome, thanks so much for the info and the quick response,

I have made the changes, Would you mind having a quick look to see if this looks correct?

You can find the edited excel and the POH at the following link.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uHfDyOdWD5V02wuLYhr9RTtyvJX-skyJ

Thats awesome, thanks so much for the info and the quick response,

I have made the changes, Would you mind having a quick look to see if this looks correct?

You can find the edited excel and the POH at the following link.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uHfDyOdWD5V02wuLYhr9RTtyvJX-skyJ
That looks good. You should definitely verify with your CFI before using it. Also you should note it looks like the POH describes a second baggage station that the spreadsheet does not accommodate. Hope you get some use out of it. I made it years ago when I was a student and it's cool to know others may still find it useful!

That looks good. You should definitely verify with your CFI before using it. Also you should note it looks like the POH describes a second baggage station that the spreadsheet does not accommodate. Hope you get some use out of it. I made it years ago when I was a student and it's cool to know others may still find it useful!

Awesome thanks for the feedback.

I'll look into it to add the second baggage station and get it checked out too.

Thanks for your help and the quick responses, much appreciated.

Wow! I still have it! This one is from a mountain checkout from 2001! The separate NavLog tabs are different portions of the flight. I forgot my database included NDBs. The names staring with "!" are user waypoints.

View attachment 61483

Are you making this available as a download? Would love to compare. Looks like a perfect kneeboard size/layout.

Are you making this available as a download? Would love to compare. Looks like a perfect kneeboard size/layout.
Never have. The database is at least 20 years old! But yeah, it was meant to be printed on a single sheet. I printed it 2-up so it would be kneeboard size.

Back