New Student / headset

ice_burg

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ice_burg
I went for a discovery flight last year and had decided to go for some sort of pilot certificate. I ran into some issues and things got extremely busy with work...Just this past Sunday it was beautiful weather and I had the time so I called KMRC and they said come on out..I did. Had a blast. I have been watching the King Air DVDs and reading through the Jeppesen material. I have plans to go back when I can on the weekends as I proceed through the training materials I have...I am initially going to work on the Sport Pilot certificate until I can schedule a consultation with the local AME to make sure health issues won't be a problem for me if I want to try for the PPL....At any rate...during the 1.1 hour long flight in the Zodiac 601ES yesterday the headset that was provided seemed to have some issues.. during take off the communication coming through from the CFI was really choppy and garbled with static...Also I figured out that who ever flew with that headset after me would have some of my ear sweat to deal with......So...that said..I am looking for a decent headset that won't break the bank. I see all sorts of headsets from D/C's to Light Speeds all under $250 to $300...I am asking you guys for opinions on what is an appropriate amount to spend on a good quality first head set. Any feed back is greatly appreciated concerning the brands and why people like one or the other or don't....D/C's seem to be really popular but they start out a little pricier as well....so what do you guys think?

Thanks
Tommy

First piece of advice: think E-bay. But beware of steeply discounted top end headsets as those offers may be scams.

Second: Every head is shaped differently; what is comfortable for your friend may be torture for you. So try before you buy.

Third: If you are serious about this flying thing, get an ANR model. Your ear's health is worth the extra cost. Noise damage is cumulative, and it usually doesn't show itself until years after you listen to the noise.

Fourth: If everyone who posts says "try my SuperWiget Model 7, it is great!" refer to advice #2.

-Skip

Second: Every head is shaped differently; what is comfortable for your friend may be torture for you. So try before you buy.

Very true -- may be worth the effort to fly to a pilot shop that has them in stock. The prices shouldn't be much different than online retailers plus it gives you a reason to fly x-country!

Third: If you are serious about this flying thing, get an ANR model. Your ear's health is worth the extra cost. Noise damage is cumulative, and it usually doesn't show itself until years after you listen to the noise.

IMHO... you can't go wrong with David Clarks. While they seem bent on missing the ANR revolution, they are bulletproof. Take care to not put too much tension on where the cord enters the ear muff and they should last for years.

The $5 ear cover piece they sell is worth 3x the price.

I've worn my DC 13.4 for up to 12 hours in a single day. Sure you're glad to pull them off but the combination of quality, durability, fit, and sound clarity have made me a satisfied customer.

I've tried LightSpeeds and found them heavy (maybe an older model -- not sure) and the battery pack rather clumsy (it's on the cord).

I've yet to be blown away by the ANR features, but then again I haven't been flying particularly loud airplanes. I will probably invest in an ANR sometime later this year.

A good friend who has 10k hours in anything that flies uses Dave Clarks -- he said he was sending back the various ANR headsets for repair and replace far too often.

Of course this is a very small sampling, and I'm sure others have had far better success, but you asked for opinions, and that's all I got on this topic.

:)

Recenty, I followed the steps provided above and found a nice headset that works well for my training, and will become my passenger headset when I get my Certificate and pickup another headset.

I was able to try a few DC sets at the local airport, and also a Sigtronics. Both fit really well, but the foam earseals really put the pressure on me after a 45 minute flight. The Gel-seals made a nice fit, and helped releave some of the clamping pressure.

So I new I liked either of these brands, and I started looking around on Ebay. Took me a few weeks, and a few lost auctions, but I ended up with a Sigtronics S-20 Passive set, shipped, for $61.00, in a "just out of the box like new, not a sign of wear or earwax" condition. This came with foam earseals stock, so I ordered a set of Gel-seals and I was good to go for about half the price of new.

I figure, the money I saved helped by some other training aids or charts, and when I get my certificate, I'm going to Airways Shop at LNS and doing some shopping! (Most likely a DC 13.4) The Passive suits me fine, although I haven't tried an ANR set yet.

Good luck with the training, and welcome to the boards!

First piece of advice: think E-bay. But beware of steeply discounted top end headsets as those offers may be scams.

Fourth: If everyone who posts says "try my SuperWiget Model 7, it is great!" refer to advice #2.
Exactly -- all of it.

Also, keep in mind that when you talk David Clark, you talk $$$. You can get a perfectly good ANR headset from a lesser-named manufacturer for about the same as a non-ANR headset from DC. There is no question in my mind that protecting my ears is more important than buying a headset that is guaranteed to last 50 years, or whatever. So if your budget limits you to choosing between a "big name" non-ANR headset and a "not-so-big name" ANR headset, think about which you can replace more easily down the line -- your ears or your headset.

I think you should try my Super Widget Model 8! It's far superior to the Model 7. :)

In all seriousness, as Skip said, get ANR headsets. They will make your training and subsequent flying so much more enjoyable not to mention increase the safety of your hearing. Add to that the couple students I've flown with who had ANR sets were much more attentive in the cockpit and they seemed to have learned much more or at least more effectively.

Both Lightspeed and Telex make decent ANR headsets in the $300-400 range. But, you won't likely get away for less than that on the new sets.

There are some great deals on eBay. Just be careful of the seller's history. Here's a link to what I just came up with:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=lightspeed+headset&category0=

Also, Jeff on the board was selling some but not sure if he had sold both pair or not. You can PM him and ask.

When I started flying, I bought a cheap headset at Missa's advice off eBay. It cost me about $70 new with shipping. It functioned fine, but its biggest problem was picking up my speech (I tend to speak too quietly) so it would cut in and out.

Recently, now that I've got my private pilot, I upgraded to a Lightspeed 20xlc ANR headset. I found it to be reasonably priced ($375 + shipping), very comfortable, makes the plane whisper quiet, and I like the plug-in for music. Now, my first one is a spare and it seems to work just fine for people I know who speak louder than I do.

I have tried on the Echelon headset and have been told by several it's one of the best deals out there, I was thinking about buying one as a "good" spare since I see things coming up where it is possible to want to have two spare headsets in the plane.

The best thing I can advise, though, is to go to a pilot shop and try on a bunch to see what you like, unless you just want to buy something cheap now and expect to upgrade later so you can have a spare. Everyone seems to have covered these bases well. :)

I know ebay was suggested, but there is the "try before you buy" thing, so my recommendation is to go to pilot shops and try on different brands, etc. Read reviews, and get an idea of what you might want (narrowed down to a few brands/models). If you're wanting to save $, but wtill want to know exactly what you're getting, try craigslist (www.craigslist.com). If you live near a metro area, there should be a local version of this. Here in Phoenix, I started looking and after about a week or so, found a brand new lightspeed Thirty-3G that someone got as a gift for her boyfriend, but he never ended up using. Perfect...got a nice ANR headset that was brand new for about half the retail cost. Plus, since she was local, I was able to see the product and try it on, etc., before purchasing. Best of both worlds. Anyway...something to think about. For what its worth...I've sold a few things on craigslist (inlcuding my wife's van), and it is a fabulous way to get rid of stuff quick (if priced right).

Bill~

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to find some Pilot shops local to Nashville. Are any of you guys close? I know JustKevin is not far away. Anyone else?

Tommy

Also, keep in mind that when you talk David Clark, you talk $$$. You can get a perfectly good ANR headset from a lesser-named manufacturer for about the same as a non-ANR headset from DC.

The DC 10-13.4 model runs $282 at JoePilot. It's definitely not the least expensive, but if you're going to buy another quality headset in 6 months to a year, then it may be the most economical route.

There is no question in my mind that protecting my ears is more important than buying a headset that is guaranteed to last 50 years, or whatever.

Ron -- If I have to hang onto this headset for 50 years I'm doing something wrong!

But early on during primary I used some of the Flight School's el cheapo models and more than once had to rummage through airplanes to find one that worked. Few things are more frustrating than hitting the avionics power switch and hearing nothing or transmitting nothing.

:mad:

I like headsets to be like a good waiter/waitress -- does the job, but essentially transparent.

:cheers:

BTW I have a LS QFR set I am looking to sell. Cheap. If you decide to go that way drop me a line via PM

If you were to buy these, you can pick up a set of gel ear seals from many places (I like tinaspilotshop.com) for $20, and they are super quiet and super comfortable - FOR MY HEAD.

Your head will differ. D/C's hurt my head.

I try on every set I can get my hands on, and I'm still happy with my QFR solo's with gel ear seals.

Tim

Thanks guys. This is the most helpful board I have ever been on.

Tommy
I'm glad it benefits someone. I've yet to get anyone to send me any blank checks for my retirement. :dunno:

:goofy:

Tommy, Welcome to the board!

I like the advice given already to go to a place where you can try on some headsets. Of course, standing in a pilot shop for fifteen minutes does not translate to 2 hr. + of flying with them in bumps and heat. However, it will give you a start.

There are "student" headsets out there. One of the schools where I taught had a line of them for sale at $99. Don't recall the brand. They did pretty well, I tried some on one flight just to see and they were ok. Mic worked well, as did the ear cups. I did notice that students who didn't take some care to be gentle with them were finding breakage and wear [loose parts, etc.]. But for a hundred bucks or thereabout you can get several years out of them with some reasonable care.

Also, I've seen many good headsets for sale on school, club, and FBO notice boards [along with books, other supplies] from pilots who are giving up flying or who have decided to buy a more expensive set. Sometimes you can save half the cost of a really good set this way. Someone I know was checking Craig's list...might give that a try.

If you borrow some, it is good etiquette to clean the ear seals with a damp cloth or some some thing. Common sense....

Wow... What Skip said. That right there is almost worth making this thread a sticky.

That said, if you can find a Lightspeed QFR Solo and it fits, you should instead get this:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/skycomIIANR.php

It's an OEM'ed headset made by Lightspeed that's basically an ANR version of the QFR Solo. Like Ron said, get ANR. Sure, my two older passive headsets were cheap, and I used them for pax after replacing them, but one is now broken anyway and in the long run I'd have saved money if I had just gone ahead and got the headset I wanted in the first place. (Lightspeed 20-3G, FWIW.)

I definitely agree that you should go try them all on. How far of a flight is it for you to get to Sporty's? :D

Exactly -- all of it.

Also, keep in mind that when you talk David Clark, you talk $$$. You can get a perfectly good ANR headset from a lesser-named manufacturer for about the same as a non-ANR headset from DC. There is no question in my mind that protecting my ears is more important than buying a headset that is guaranteed to last 50 years, or whatever. So if your budget limits you to choosing between a "big name" non-ANR headset and a "not-so-big name" ANR headset, think about which you can replace more easily down the line -- your ears or your headset.

Also: if you are handy with a screwdriver and a soldering iron, consider getting a good passive headset and installing the Headsets Inc. ANR conversion kit. ANR at less cost than a factory ANR. The conversion kit has received good reviews for performance here, but I have no personal experience with it.

-Skip

So what do you guys think about the DC H10-13.4... I was given some advice that i could start with that and then If I stick with piloting long term then I could get the upgrade kit to make it ANR.....

So what do you guys think about the DC H10-13.4... I was given some advice that i could start with that and then If I stick with piloting long term then I could get the upgrade kit to make it ANR.....

Good plan. But only after you heed Advice #2. See if you can get someone to lend you one for a flight or two. And also try some others; the DC may be OK comfort wise but you know those Super Widget 7s and 8s are a dream to wear.... ;)

-Skip

For what you'd pay for those, you can get a pair of SoftComm ANR.

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/3686

What everyone has been saying is the ANR will cost a bit more for better quality but in the end, you'll be much better off. Having a quieter headset will make a world of difference in how well you learn and can communicate in the plane.

Good plan. But only after you heed Advice #2. See if you can get someone to lend you one for a flight or two. And also try some others; the DC may be OK comfort wise but you know those Super Widget 7s and 8s are a dream to wear.... ;)

-Skip

For some.

I found the Bose very uncomfortable. I find the Zulus just a smidgen less comfortable than my DCs.

So your first advise is the best try them on.

Wow... What Skip said. That right there is almost worth making this thread a sticky.

That said, if you can find a Lightspeed QFR Solo and it fits, you should instead get this:

It's an OEM'ed headset made by Lightspeed that's basically an ANR version of the QFR Solo. Like Ron said, get ANR. Sure, my two older passive headsets were cheap, and I used them for pax after replacing them, but one is now broken anyway and in the long run I'd have saved money if I had just gone ahead and got the headset I wanted in the first place. (Lightspeed 20-3G, FWIW.)

I definitely agree that you should go try them all on. How far of a flight is it for you to get to Sporty's? :D

The QFR I have is not the solo but the ANR XC

I found some DC 10-36 for helicopter for $125....I am going to have to find somewhere to go and find different headsets to put my hands on..I have no clue where to start looking really other than close to the airport...fair enough??

I'd definitely agree with Skip's advice, but would push even more strongly the idea of getting ANR.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned, and the only exception I'm aware of to the ANR rule, is the in-ear "headsets" like the Lightspeed Mach 1. They have the advantage of being really small, easily transportable, and, from what I've heard, quiet and comfortable. That said, you'd definitely want the custom molded ear pieces, which make them quieter and more comfortable, and they aren't cheap. Probably not suitable for a first pair, since I'd be more reticent about buying them used and, if I did, wouldn't consider using them until I replaced the earpieces with the custom molded ones. That'll add about $100 to the price.

I can vouch with the highest praise for the quality of the Headsets, Inc. ANR upgrade, but it does not make financial sense to buy a new pair of headsets and then spend the money for the upgrade- by then, you could have bought a number of different and pretty nice ANR sets.

But, if you have a pair of passive sets in good shape physically (I had a couple of old David Clarks, which are essentially indestructible), then the ANR upgrade is the way to go. When you do that upgrade, all you end up reusing is the microphone (ussuming you replace the cord at the same tie, which you should).

I've had David Clark for years. The quality is hard to beat. Aircraft Spruce has a good return policy if you buy a set and don't like them.

It's an OEM'ed headset made by Lightspeed that's basically an ANR version of the QFR Solo. Like Ron said, get ANR.

I've used the QFR SoloC since my second month of flying, back in '03. I've used them in everything from the Skyhawk to the twin turbo prop. That said, ANR is great. I've never owned an ANR set, but I've used other people's and it's amazing. That's where the Skycom suggestion is pretty cool. The Solo series are awesome, reliable, CHEAP, and comfortable, with decent attenuation for a passive set. Put ANR into it, and I can only imagine how great they are. I've never used DCs, but I'm a big fan of LighSPEED, so that would be my two cent suggestion.

I can vouch with the highest praise for the quality of the Headsets, Inc. ANR upgrade, but it does not make financial sense to buy a new pair of headsets and then spend the money for the upgrade- by then, you could have bought a number of different and pretty nice ANR sets.

Not to mention, a "pure" ANR set (as opposed to an upgrade) will likely have less clamping pressure and be more comfortable on long flights.

I can't say enough good things about Lightspeed. They're a little big and clunky but they are reasonably comfortable even on the long (3-4 hr +) cross country flights that I used to regularly make and the ANR's are very quiet.

More importantly, they're customer service is extraodinary! One time last year as I was preparing to fly I noticed my headset cord looped out the bottom of the door. The closed door. The plane hadn't been flown in a week. Cord nearly cut in half. Headset is sent to Lightspeed for a new cord. They not only replaced the cord at no charge but they rebuilt the entire headset, installed new ear cushions, etc. All when this definitely wasn't a warranty situation.

This was the second time they've taken care of me in this fashion. I broke the mike boom off my first headset by doing something stupid (a headset I bought used) and they fixed it at no charge.

When I find a company like that I give them ALL my business.

Oh, and you can buy 3 lightspeeds for the price of 1 bose!

Last edited:
Oh, and you can buy 3 lightspeeds for the price of 1 bose!

That was the big kicker for me. I've flown with the Bose headsets in my instructor's planes, and I did not see an extra $600 worth of value in buying the Bose headset over my 20xlc.

If I upgrade my headset, I think I'll go for the 30-3G, but I am so happy with my 20xlc for the time being I see no reason to, unless I acquire a frequent copilot...

Not to mention, a "pure" ANR set (as opposed to an upgrade) will likely have less clamping pressure and be more comfortable on long flights.

A converted headset will have no more clamping pressure than the original set as the ANR stuff is all internal in the earcups.

However I would not buy a passive only set and then plan on converting, it wouldn't make economic sense.

One funny observation I have about clamping and comfort-

I always felt that the DC headsets had pretty high clamping pressure, but decided that I would tolerate it for the sake of saving money by doing the ANR upgrade.

Now that the ANR is installed, I find that most of the discomfort I used to feel is gone- somehow, having the noise gone makes the headset less uncomfortable, physically. Maybe, then, much of the discomfort I felt before was really fatigue from the pounding noise?

That was the big kicker for me. I've flown with the Bose headsets in my instructor's planes, and I did not see an extra $600 worth of value in buying the Bose headset over my 20xlc.

If I upgrade my headset, I think I'll go for the 30-3G, but I am so happy with my 20xlc for the time being I see no reason to, unless I acquire a frequent copilot...

Ya pays your money and ya takes your choice :D

When you fly for an hour or two it may not make a difference. But when you're flying 6-8 hours or more in the day, I'll take Bose over Lightspeed any day (and I've owned them, including a 30-3G).

If I may pose another question....Are all DC passive headsets upgradeable to ANR or only specific models like the H10-13.4 ?

I also assume that the same styles of DC, though they may be different models, should fit similarly??

Is that a fair assumption?

The reason I am asking is because if I can save some cash on the front end and have adequate protection then I will because my flying will not be as frequent. Then/If flying time increases I could do the upgrade later on or even buy a new set altogether if I wanted to.

Tommy

If I may pose another question....Are all DC passive headsets upgradeable to ANR or only specific models like the H10-13.4 ?

I also assume that the same styles of DC, though they may be different models, should fit similarly??

Is that a fair assumption?

The reason I am asking is because if I can save some cash on the front end and have adequate protection then I will because my flying will not be as frequent. Then/If flying time increases I could do the upgrade later on or even buy a new set altogether if I wanted to.

Tommy

Headset Inc's. Web apge, http://www.headsetsinc.com/approved_installations.htm
States that their models fit any DC 10.XX (Model M-01) or H10.13.X (Model MX)

Back