ForeFlight was a crash monster yesterday!

You youngsters (OK - this was before my time - but does anyone remember these?)
View attachment 82607
I’ve used multiple boxes (2000 count) of those early in my academic career but never professionally. FORTRAN some but mostly PL/C PL/1.

Anybody use this?EE64C466-BA88-499D-95F8-F9CE090C5530.jpeg

I never got to use the cards or tape but heard about them. I remember when I went to order my first modem and my computer guy had never heard of 56k. He thought 14,400 was fast enough for anything we wanted to do. He couldn't believe how fast it was.

Yes. Early 1980s writing code for CNC machines. We had a tape punch connected ti a flexo-writer. Eventually we bought some software to punch tapes from an IBM XT and used Edlin to write the files. “ the good old days”

Had a paper tape punch in my gear at NCS Stockton. One day, before the time of cabin air filters, I dumped the chaff bucket into the cabin air intake on the ETC's vehicle. Six months later he still had chaff blowing around inside his vehicle.

:yikes:

You youngsters (OK - this was before my time - but does anyone remember these?)
View attachment 82607

I remember as a youngster, my dad (a professor) had a "computer office" in the basement data center, in addition to his regular office. I do remember him using punch cards, and how the stack of them was pulled in one at a time, across this huge console and then up over the top before shooting off to the right...

That computer is now in the Computer History Museum.

Thanks. The phrase I was looking for was FIS-B look-ahead range:
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_00-63A_CHG_1.pdf

It all depends on how many and which tier towers (ground stations) are being simultaneously received. With ForeFlight, you can display the tower location, tier, and signal percent on the Map if you are connected to an ADS-B receiver. To display the towers, go to More>Devices> tap on the device and then turn on the setting switch "Show ADSB Towers". You can also do this from the Map view by tapping the gear icon, the connected device and turn on the setting.

and having data (from my phone) is sure handy so that I can get updated METARs, imagery, etc. when on long XCs, (especially when conditions are marginal and/or when flying IFR).

Wait - doesn't FIS-B provide updated Metar and imagery to Foreflight while in flight from your transponder? I've always gotten traffic and weather with my I pad cell data turned off.

Wait - doesn't FIS-B provide updated Metar and imagery to Foreflight while in flight from your transponder? I've always gotten traffic and weather with my I pad cell data turned off.
Yes, if you have a transponder that that receives the ADSB and shares it with ForeFlight as your does. I use a Stratux for the same thing, and there are other devices that work well too.

Wait! Read post 28. :confused:

This morning's exchange:

ForeFlight: Hi again, Tim. If you're flying with cellular data turned on, please disable that. It may help.

Me: Hello, I don't have a cell account for my iPad so the below is not applicable. I do, however, always have it connected to my droid phone's WiFi...I have unlimited data on my phone, so no reason to have any other data plans.

ForeFlight: Thank you for sending crash logs. We believe the connection to your phone may be causing some of these issues. At your next opportunity, try it without that connection and let us know if the crashes and freezes continue. Connecting to a phone for hotspot or cell is not recommended during flight.

Me: Okay, if you say so. But it’s been on for almost ten years while flying with no issues (I think I’ve had a total of 2 crashes before last Saturday)…and having data is sure handy so that I can get updated METARs, imagery, etc. when on long XCs, (especially when conditions are marginal and/or when flying IFR).

My iPad Mini 3 has been stable and reliable in the air for years. Then, an iOS and FF update changed that. I experienced crashes every 5-10 minutes. Waited for the next updates and expected those to fix the issue. Nope. So, yesterday I restored the iPad Mini to "factory defaults": connected it to my PC and used iTunes per the Apple tech doc. After about 10 minutes, got an error in iTunes and the iPad Mini was "bricked". Fortunately, Apple has seen this before and there's another tech doc. After an hour, iPad Mini was back up. I download FF. Works great now and uses a lot less storage. I suggest you try a factory restore.

TI 99/4A, 16 KB ram, no disk drive, data written to a cassette tape.

That's the first one I owned. I started learning on a TRS-80 Model 1 with 8 KB ram and cassette storage.

Was that the little black unit with a tiny keyboard? I remember my neighbor having a TI computer with a tape storage device. My best friend in school had a TRS-80 mk 3 for a home computer because his dad used it for business and my first computer was a VIC-20. I remember hand programming the code for games until I convinced my parents to buy a tape backup. I actually found the recorder and some tapes a few months ago while cleaning out my parents house after dad passed and mom needed to go to a home.

It really doesn't seem possible that all this time has passed. It seems like only yesterday that a friend of mine at MS got me into the beta program for Win 95.

I think you are thinking of the Sinclair TX81 by Timex. That came along shortly after.

The 99/4A had a full sized keyboard. The one I had had a metal colored case and black keyboard.

Wayne

Was that the little black unit with a tiny keyboard? I remember my neighbor having a TI computer with a tape storage device. My best friend in school had a TRS-80 mk 3 for a home computer because his dad used it for business and my first computer was a VIC-20. I remember hand programming the code for games until I convinced my parents to buy a tape backup. I actually found the recorder and some tapes a few months ago while cleaning out my parents house after dad passed and mom needed to go to a home.

It really doesn't seem possible that all this time has passed. It seems like only yesterday that a friend of mine at MS got me into the beta program for Win 95.

Wow....I had a vic20 too and a comodore64. Also a trash80 as we use to call them. Way back in the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you are thinking of the Sinclair TX81 by Timex. That came along shortly after.

The 99/4A had a full sized keyboard. The one I had had a metal colored case and black keyboard.

Wayne
I think you are correct.

One of the best keyboards ever made.
Depends on your criteria. If you're looking for key action, I would submit this beast.
The IBM Displaywriter keyboard. Massive compared to the 5150 keyboard.
800px-Displaywriter92.jpg

Clippy: "Would you like some help with that?"

CP/M. 8 inch disks. Remember the MITS Altair?

I played on an Altair 8800 when I was younger. My first computer was a TRS/80 CoCo. Punch cards were no longer in use when I joined the industry. All of which would never fit into my Skyhawk.

Back