Handheld airbag/crash protection

Matthew Rogers

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Matt R
I know that there are seatbelt airbags now, but apart from that system, is there any device that we can have in the airplane that can be held in front of the Pilot/Passenger to cushion a crash? Some crashes are so sudden and violent that there is no hope (stall/spin on takeoff, CFIT, etc). During others, you know that you will crash somewhere, but have plenty of time to grab some protection (engine out, engine trouble, out of gas, even a landing where you know there is a good chance of failure like gear up landings or electrical failure at night and no airport lights).

I had a fuel vent engine failure/partial power emergency and had more than 5 minutes till we landed, but regret the fact that there was not much protection for my son in the backseat especially. If we had lost the engine completely we would have gone down in the trees. While I hope that I would have saved everyones life, serious injuries are no joke.

My airplane now has a child seat in the back and there is only a lap belt - no option for shoulder harness or even for a child seat (this is a C150). But at least if my kid could put big airbag in front of him then he would hit the airbag and not our seat backs.

Watching the most recent The Finer Points video (and heard it from many other instructors) and one checklist item is for everyone to grab soft things to cushion the crash.

Since soft and shock absorbing things tend to be lightweight (airbags, styrofoam), why is there not a product that can be in the backseat (or cargo area in reach of backseat passengers if they are occupied) and can be held in front of a person to dissipate crash forces.

Any ideas of this being considered? If not, is this something that the community could put their heads together to come up with a solution.

Sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure what might be the best though. Pillows? Foam? Helmet?

Helmets are a statistically great idea for everyone all the time, especially driving in cars, but we don’t wear them because we are lazy and don’t like to think about risks. Does anyone make child sized flight helmets?

A quick inflate airbag would be great in terms of packed size. Inflated with CO2 cylinder and holds pressure till impact and then deflated through some sort of relief valve/breakaway.

But in terms of price, even some sort of block of reinforced soft styrofoam would work. Like a seat cushion thing with handles that you just hold in front of your face and chest. Bicycle helmets are just a shaped block of styrofoam on your head.

I recall seeing a YouTube video with an engine out off-airport (rough) landing. The right-seat took over and had the left-seat student hold a seat cushion in front of his face as a cushion. (The kind of small-boat-style cushion many use to sit higher.) I imagine it would be extra scary to not be able to see what is happening.

I also talked with a Corsair pilot at Oshkosh who always wears a helmet (in that plane). He pointed out a bang of the head on a landing bounce could disorient him and total the rare and gorgeous airplane, not to mention possibly kill him. At least one pilot on this forum always wears a helmet when mountain flying solo.

There are some 'experimental' motorcycle airbags, too.

Helmets seem to be getting more acceptable in light plane flying. Also considering seat belt airbags.

That reminds me about this cool bicycle airbag helmet.
Hovding.com
Not sure if the G sensor/accelerometer would get set off in extreme turbulence.

This motorcycle airbag vest looks nice, but no face protection. It inflates instantly and takes 7 minutes to deflate. So you could trigger it at 300 feet and it would protect through the entire crash.

Time to revive the Blue Donut thread with a new kind? LOL.

07ac2fe85906ea1bf3a610ede1f50dbc.jpg

Back