ADS-B transponder as WAAS position source?

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
@bnt83... can the WAAS receiver in a 335 drive a G5?

Found this on the G5 FAQ at ACS. Not sure when it was posted so you'd have to check with Garmin to see if the 335 update is available.

Can you use the Garmin GTX 335 output RS232 as a certified WAAS GPS source for the G5 installation?
The GTX 335 transponder w/ GPS will be able to pass the GPS data directly to the G5 as long as it is running software version 2.10 or later, but per Garmin the software update for the 335 to enable this for certified installations is not yet available.

Correct, if you have a GTX-3X5(R) (with internal GPS) connected to an appropriately installed GPS antenna, that transponder can be wired to a G5 for the required position source via RS232, its an FAA approved option in the STC installation manual.

Be aware that does not replaced the need for pitot & static system connections etc.

G5 STC installation manual is avialable online to everyone.

I'm aware of the G5 accepting GPS data source input, but I did not know is that certified GTX-335/345 with internal GPS could export the GPS position.

My understanding is Garmin does not allow GTX-345 with internal WAAS to act as a WAAS data source for any other equipment in certified installations.

The original OP has a certified C140A, and not an experimental. Experimental is a different story.

I'm aware of the G5 accepting GPS data source input, but I did not know is that certified GTX-335/345 with internal GPS could export the GPS position.

My understanding is Garmin does not allow GTX-345 with internal WAAS to act as a WAAS data source for any other equipment in certified installations.

The original OP has a certified C140A, and not an experimental. Experimental is a different story.

Your understanding is dated. The G5 STC installation manual gives both the GTX-3X5 wiring diagrams and tells you how to configure all of the equipment. There is nothing else needed. If it wasn’t FAA approved it wouldn’t be in an FAA approved STC installation manual. You’ll find rev 14 on their website.

Last edited:
If it's all RS232 anyway, I suppose a 335 could drive an AV30 as well?

It should be noted that the GTX units can give position, ground track and ground speed to the G5’s, but not navigation data of any kind. No CDI or HSI. It basically is just and attitude indicator and/or DG, but not a CDI or HSI.

It should be noted that the GTX units can give position, ground track and ground speed to the G5’s, but not navigation data of any kind. No CDI or HSI. It basically is just and attitude indicator and/or DG, but not a CDI or HSI.
Yup...That’s how my 335 & G5 as an AI is set up.

Back