Instrument safety pilot capable

Briar Rabbit

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
The requirement for high performance and complex endorsements were created after receiving my training.

Obviously a safety pilot with a ppl license and current in a 172 can log time as the safety pilot when his partner is under the hood in a 172.

But may the same pilot fly as the right seat safety pilot in a 182 if he does not have a high performance endorsement? If yes may he log the time?

And what about the ppl in the same position but in a complex airplane such as a Centurion if he does not have a complex endorsement or is not current in a 210?

my rule....if the guy in the right seat can be PIC....he's good to go.

Don't you want that right seater to take over.....if needed?

The easy short answer and my default

my rule....if the guy in the right seat can be PIC....he's good to go.

Don't you want that right seater to take over.....if needed?
Actually I would prefer he just watch for traffic. I can jerk the foggles off in a hurry if something else happens and will most likely handle anything better than someone not as familiar with my personal airplane.

Actually I would prefer he just watch for traffic. I can jerk the foggles off in a hurry if something else happens and will most likely handle anything better than someone not as familiar with my personal airplane.
nope....don't be a hero.

nope....don't be a hero.
Personal opinion but I don't think being a hero has anything to do with it. I just feel that the owner of an airplane knows the avionics and systems of an airplane better than a friend that just rides along occasionally. He is not a cfi or cfii. But certainly capable of watching for traffic.

Seems the answer is no. The safety does not need HP or Complex, if this article is correct.

http://www.aerolegalservices.com/Articles/2015-01-06 Safety Pilot Questions Answered.shtml
Good article, thank you.

My interpretation: The ppl pilot may perform the functions of safety pilot in a complex airplane without the endorsement but he may not log the time as PIC. Since a safety pilot is a required crew member during simulated instrument and if that pilot does not have the complex endorsement he may log the time as SIC even though the airplane does not normally require a SIC? My last interpretation was a bit fuzzy in the article to me.

A safety pilot needs >=PPL, a valid medical (because he or she is a "required crew member") and rating in category and class (e.g. ASEL). That's it! No endorsements necessary. No BFR necessary.

If your safety pilot is not properly endorsed/BFR'ed etc., then he or she would not be able to act as PIC during the flight, or log PIC.** You, the hooded pilot, would have to act as PIC and be qualified to do so. And you'd also log PIC, not because you're "acting" as one, but because you can do that anytime you're an appropriately-rated (e.g. ASEL) "sole manipulator".

**Unless they take the controls as "sole manipulator" on the way home after lunch, in which case they can log PIC for that bit, again no endorsements necessary.

Refer :

B56E76AC-7C61-4A22-AFA9-65C131DACBA6.png

Last edited:
Back