Garmin GPS 500 good and bad?

lancie00

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
lancie00
I just came across a Garmin GPS 500 which I had never heard of before and think I can get for about $1500. According to Garmin's web site the "GPS 500 includes the popular features of the GNS 530 — minus the nav and comm." I don't know if it's been updated to WAAS or not or what that would cost.

Anyone have any thoughts on a price to install in an Arrow with dual King kx155's and a ki 209 indicator? I've heard that the 430w/530w's take about 40 hours to install but would this take that long? I'd love to talk to an avionics shop but all of them I know are still booked with ADSB installs and don't want to deal with used gear.

Either that or I'd love to install it myself. I installed the nav/comms, indicator and audio panel so I know what I'm getting into and it's not that hard. I'm just not sure what it would take to make it legal for IFR.

If it's not WAAS, I probably wouldn't bother. The W's have an AML STC and approved AFMS, you'll have to write/procure an AFMS for it and get a field approval to install the non-W 500 IFR. I believe the upgrade price for the 500 to W is the same as a 530, like $4300 or so. Do you have rack space to install it while keeping the other stuff? Are you going to install another CDI for it, or a switch/annunciator?

You may also look for a CX80/GNS480. Those have always been WAAS and do have the nav comm

But not for $1500. That 500 sounds pretty good at that price

If it's not WAAS, I probably wouldn't bother. The W's have an AML STC and approved AFMS, you'll have to write/procure an AFMS for it and get a field approval to install the non-W 500 IFR. I believe the upgrade price for the 500 to W is the same as a 530, like $4300 or so. Do you have rack space to install it while keeping the other stuff? Are you going to install another CDI for it, or a switch/annunciator?

I do have the rack space (the ADF could go) and my thought was to install a switch/annunciator on the CDI but if I have to spend $4300 to upgrade to WAAS, it doesn't make any sense. By the time I paid $1500 for the unit and $4300 to upgrade, it's more expensive than a GTX175. I thought I could use it without WAAS for now and upgrade when I win the lottery. :)

You might check to see if IFD545 is a slide in replacement for the 500. If so, you can probably get a lot of mileage out of $1500+ labor while you wait for the 545's to age into the used market.

You might check to see if IFD545 is a slide in replacement for the 500. If so, you can probably get a lot of mileage out of $1500+ labor while you wait for the 545's to age into the used market.

Yes, the IFD 510 and 545 are direct swaps for the 500W. There’s some additional work if upgrading a straight 500 but nowhere near a new install level.

If it isn't WAAS, it isn't worth it - unless you can get more.than the $1500 in a trade in program

Back