C

I've never used one of the GPS units with radios built-in. Do people generally like them, or would I be better to keep the second radio an independent device?
I learned to fly in the '70 when nobody had GPS. Now, I can't imagine flying without one. As for the GPS being independent of the radio, I see no reason to do that but many reasons not to keep them separate.

Otherwise, I think your last idea is spot-on, assuming you really can't do it all at once.

I would agree with replacing the audio panel with a newer one, with my preference being one from PS Engineering. As for a Nav/Comm, I would possibly look at a Garmin SL30 (used), or a new Garmin GNC 225A. What is your current transponder situation?

What radios do you have in there now? TKM might have a slide in replacement, with the digital flip flop tuning. Takes longer to do the paperwork than the physical swap.

Everything connects to the audio panel. That said, they're also the cheapest piece of equipment to purchase. So if you're going to budget for installation, figure in the new audio panel as a cost of work to whatever else you'll be adding. That is, upgrade audio plus one other thing while your panel is open.

Interesting. Doesn't look like that product has nav radio functionality though? I definitely need that.

You'll still have one NAV, which is plenty. Many people do IFR checkrides on a single nav.

So, the PAR is Com1, your existing is NAV2/Com2, and when you get money for the gps you can make it NAV1 and your done. Something like the Garmin 175 will work and you'll be ~8k plus installation.

Give this a view:

Last edited:
Oh good, TKM makes a 170 replacement. I would do that if you are going to keep your current audio panel for awhile. Or do the audio panel with intercom first, keep your current radio for now and put in a TKM a bit later. Something like what Ravioli said. My own inclination would be to go that path as the audio panel they make nowadays are so much better than the old stuff.

Start over with a plane that is already equipped the way you want it.

Start over with a plane that is already equipped the way you want it.

Much truth there!

Even with used pricing I dropped a lot to get to this ancient panel:

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 44
Be aware, Avionics drop by 50% the moment they’re installed. And you get nothing back for the cost of installation and you get nothing back for the cost of installation. I had a warrior that I like just fine but it did not already have a GPS installed. To buy the new GPS and to install it would been $13,000 plus $2k for the CDI. I sold it and purchased another piper already had all that stuff installed. yes it cost me a little bit more but not as much as it cost the guy who payed to install it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm well aware. I understand the financial ramifications of what I'm looking to do, but it is what it is. Having a plan allows me to watch and listen for used deals and make it a little bit cheaper. I've got no interest in selling this plane for many, many years. By the time I sell it, what I'm installing will probably be outdated again. That's life...

I'm in the same boat as you. We installed 2 King Nav/comms and a GMA340 audio panel a few years ago, now we're looking for GPS and I can't find anyone to install anything used because they're too busy with ADSB still. We did save a bunch of money installing the radios and audio panel ourselves with supervision though.

what order should I do these upgrades in
From a maintenance perspective, sit down with the person/shop you want to use. Then develop your specific plan based on your combined requirements, schedules, finances.
any suggestions on equipment for any of them
This is another part where your installer can possibly give specific assistance to your specific aircraft. For example, they may have in roads on the used market, offer better discounts on one brand vs another, etc. The more you plan out in the beginning will definitely help in the end.

I’ll echo the above. Go to an avionics shop and talk. You’ll learn more in addition to what POA says. They should be able to narrow down your options based on what you think you want and give you estimates for em.

To do any kind of modernizing of your avionics, you will need a real audio panel. The PS Engineering units are feature packed, but the Garmin GMA panels are good, too. Any modern audio panel will include intercom function. After that, you will get the most flying utility out of a GPS navigator. If you want to double up on the flip-flop digital radio and GPS, get a GPS-COM (Garmin GTN or Avidyne IFD series). If you want to double up on ADS-B and GPS, then the GNX-375 is almost a no-brainer.

I went through this process about 10-12 years ago. I just wanted to install a GNS-430W, but that required upgrading the crappy audio panel first, as well as installing another CDI. In the process, I also removed a ton of leftover crap from prior avionics upgrades, gaining about 20 lb of useful load in the process. The labor costs can be surprising, especially when you start routing antennas and removing obsolete wiring and boxes.

Back