Thinking about a rocket

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Recently I’ve begun thinking about expanding my utility as a pilot and take on extra-orbital flight through outer space.

I’m looking at a basic model solid-fuel rocket, as it seems to be the most practical. Something similar to this one :

780FDA8A-927F-4853-A1A6-7947E10DBFB1.jpeg

Now, since I haven’t officially explored this type of flight just yet, I’ve contacted Elon about taking a discovery ride on his next Space-X launch. He agreed, so I’m all set for that and will see if it’s something I will enjoy before I take the plunge and buy the rocket.

The next hurdle I’m facing is where to set up the launch pad. The local airport only has box and t-hangars, but not really enough room to allow me to launch from. I’m sure the homeowners that surround the airport wouldn’t mind a loud rocket launching and creating a plume of smoke on occasion, so I’m sure I can find the space (pun intended) for it.

Now, one of my biggest hurdles is whether or not I can fly passengers with a Private Astronaut Certificate or not, as the Feds are unclear on this matter. If I could find someone to help split the costs of the launchpad, rocket fuel, boosters, and moon landing fee’s, than I might be able to afford it. Do they charge a landing fee for landing on the moon? Dunno. I’ll find out.

It might also be beneficial if I could start some join-venture with @Ted DuPuis to assist in C9 transports. Do you ever have any clients needing to send their cats or dogs to outer space? You know those dogs that live on the other side of that white picket fence in your neighbors yard that just won’t shut up at night when you’re trying to sleep? Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about. I could help give them a new ‘home’. I could assist with that type of stuff...

Lots of things to consider yet, so if anyone has any tips or pointers they can offer me, I would appreciate it!

Gracias!

You get your type rating at the Space Academy. You would make a great cadet.

Recently I’ve begun thinking about expanding my utility as a pilot and take on extra-orbital flight through outer space.

I’m looking at a basic model solid-fuel rocket, as it seems to be the most practical. Something similar to this one :

View attachment 82608

Now, since I haven’t officially explored this type of flight just yet, I’ve contacted Elon about taking a discovery ride on his next Space-X launch. He agreed, so I’m all set for that and will see if it’s something I will enjoy before I take the plunge and buy the rocket.

The next hurdle I’m facing is where to set up the launch pad. The local airport only has box and t-hangars, but not really enough room to allow me to launch from. I’m sure the homeowners that surround the airport wouldn’t mind a loud rocket launching and creating a plume of smoke on occasion, so I’m sure I can find the space (pun intended) for it.

Now, one of my biggest hurdles is whether or not I can fly passengers with a Private Astronaut Certificate or not, as the Feds are unclear on this matter. If I could find someone to help split the costs of the launchpad, rocket fuel, boosters, and moon landing fee’s, than I might be able to afford it. Do they charge a landing fee for landing on the moon? Dunno. I’ll find out.

It might also be beneficial if I could start some join-venture with @Ted DuPuis to assist in C9 transports. Do you ever have any clients needing to send their cats or dogs to outer space? You know those dogs that live on the other side of that white picket fence in your neighbors yard that just won’t shut up at night when you’re trying to sleep? Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about. I could help give them a new ‘home’. I could assist with that type of stuff...

Lots of things to consider yet, so if anyone has any tips or pointers they can offer me, I would appreciate it!

Gracias!

Bad news...Soyuz is liquid fueled. Of course, liquid fueled rockets are much safer, so it would be a great choice. Well proven.

I suggest joining Space Force, as the type rating is horribly expensive to get privately.

51yJXzuR-%2BL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Estes-1491-T...ocphy=9019626&hvtargid=pla-305150998759&psc=1

You might have to expand that rocket a little bit... or seriously lose a lot of weight.

I recommend renting before you buy. If you go to the Space-X website, you can actually see the prices per launch; I find them reasonable. I'm considering launching some construction debris I have piled up; I'm told that it will become vapor in the atmosphere upon re-entry, saving me on dump fees.

“I’m a rocket mannnnn!” :)

Since my mom lives about 200 feet higher than the airport, and under the traffic pattern, I have thought about building a replica SAM site in the back yard.....

Aftermarket exhaust? Looks like a header with equal length runners.

Yes, Carpenter Racing. Total overkill for an internally stock engine, but it looks and sounds soooooo good...

Back