Chino, CA FBO

Heftiger

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Heftiger
Planning a flight down to Chino this month. Any reviews or comments on the FBOs? Will likely get full service fuel and need a rental car.

Yeah, I think most of the light traffic goes to Flying Tigers. Cheapest fuel (though all the fuel is cheap at CNO) and cool design inside.

Thanks guys.
How’s the FBO service?

I’m going to have my wife and kids onboard so it’d be really helpful if they’re the type of place that’ll bring the car out to the plane and provide 5 star service. There’s also Threshold and Encore Jet Center on the field. I’ve learned that just because the name says “jet center” doesn’t mean they’ll provide us smaller guys with the same type of service.

Thanks guys.
How’s the FBO service?

I’m going to have my wife and kids onboard so it’d be really helpful if they’re the type of place that’ll bring the car out to the plane and provide 5 star service. There’s also Threshold and Encore Jet Center on the field. I’ve learned that just because the name says “jet center” doesn’t mean they’ll provide us smaller guys with the same type of service.

Most FBOs will bring the car out to even smaller GA planes when you call ahead. If you want to feel super fancy, fly to SNA and use ACI. They treat light pistons the exact same as they treat Globals and G650s - and it is the best.

Try Flo's on the field for breakfast or lunch...good greasy-spoon eats! Their souvenir T-shirt designs are great too. I've got one with a Corsair and one with a P-51.

Threshold is ok but they’re main thing seems to be large jet projects, and they’re tucked away in the far corner of the airport. Stick with Flying Tigers.

Just an FYI; Flying Tigers sued the Planes of Fame air museum last year. If you support the flying warbirds, probably don’t patronize them with your gas purchase. It’s a shame, because I used to enjoy going there before I saw the lawsuit. There’s other cheap fuel at CNO to he had.

Just an FYI; Flying Tigers sued the Planes of Fame air museum last year. If you support the flying warbirds, probably don’t patronize them with your gas purchase. It’s a shame, because I used to enjoy going there before I saw the lawsuit. There’s other cheap fuel at CNO to he had.

Before I'd deny them my fuel dollars, I'd want to know more.

Two sides to every coin, ya know.

Follow Up:

TLDR: Go somewhere else.

I chose Encore Jet Center.

So Cal approach and Chino tower were helpful and professional.

After landing Ground provided taxi instructions for Encore.
As I taxi’d near the jet center, which is tucked around some hangars, an Encore employee was standing out on the taxi way to direct me around the corner to the jet center. He then guided us to park. He was very professional and the rental car was ready and nearby and they gave us a key card for getting in and out of the airport.

The jet center, is actually just a double wide trailer. Not much of a jet center...

On our departure day we showed up and nobody was around, it was desolate. No big deal, there’s self serve fuel right near the parking area. So we pack up the plane and then proceed to look for a restroom. We finally found a nice gentleman willing to let us use the bathroom in his hangar.
Returning back to the jet center I now need to figure out what to do with the keys for the rental car. Last resort is leave them in the car unlocked, but not my preference. So I proceed to try all the doors to find a place to put the keys. What da ya know, the jet center is unlocked! Annnnnd, there’s an employee sitting inside looking bored.
“Are you open?” I ask.
“We sure are!” He replies.

Hmmm. So I hand him the rental car keys and inform him we’re going to use the self serve pumps.
So he comes outside now, and proceeds to watch me move their wheel chocks, and drag the Lance over to the pumps.
He gets a call from an arrival for fuel, so he watches me run my card and then hops on the fuel truck and putts off.

And thennnn, the pumps don’t pump. The fuel dribbles out.
So I put the hose back, clear the transaction, and try again. Same thing.
So I return the hose, and then attempt another pump. Same thing.
Then I call the jet center, the guy answers the phone and informs me he’ll come fuel us with the truck for the self serve price, but it’s gonna be 20 minutes.

30 minutes later, he arrives and proceeds to fuel us.

So needless to say, I wasn’t very impressed.

Last edited:
Back