Gosh darn hindsight... I hate you

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Just had the realization.....

If I had taken the large downpayment money I used to purchase my Model 3 and had purchased Tesla stock when it was at it's low of $178/share.....

And then cash out yesterday, I would have been able to pay off my car loan, pay the capital gains, and still have some cash left over.

Dammit.

Were stock hindsight to exist, we'd all be rich.

I do remember being on a tech forum some time ago, probably post-iPhone release when Apple stock had climbed an insane amount from its lows in the 1990s. One member there had a signature line that said, "I bought my Apple stock at $18/share. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW???" :rofl:

But, save up some stock-buying money. There will be a correction, and it will go up again.

tough crowd.

source.gif

:D

yeah, I sometimes think if I'd only bought stock in ....apple, amazon, tesla, etc....

The jeep mime reminds me of the time I was trying to teach my daughter how to driver her jeep..just like that one except Barbie...
She only knew full throttle, and had not yet grasped the whole slow down idea....
so she guns it heading straight towards my wife then new car. I started after her but was way too far behind...couldn't get the words to form....
full throttle the WHOLE time....at the last second she throws the wheel full left into a sideways slide barely missing the bumper, then immediately full right sideways slide threading the narrow opening between wife's car and the garage, then full left into a sideways slide.....and stopped perfectly in her parking spot in the garage.... with me following behind running, jaw dropped wide open....classic good memory!
She's now in middle school and will be driving for real in just a few short years....

Were stock hindsight to exist, we'd all be rich.

I do remember being on a tech forum some time ago, probably post-iPhone release when Apple stock had climbed an insane amount from its lows in the 1990s. One member there had a signature line that said, "I bought my Apple stock at $18/share. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW???" :rofl:

But, save up some stock-buying money. There will be a correction, and it will go up again.

I sold AAPL in the $150 range. LOL. Oh well. Made money.

On April 1, 2013 Elon tweeted something to the effect of: "We're going to have Tesla's first profitable quarter this month".

If in the week following that tweet you bought $1000 of the deepest out-of-money 1-month TSLA call options, held them until the day of expiry, then converted it to TSLA stock after, that $1000 investment would have broken the $10m mark on Monday.

I thought I was such a savvy investor when I bought Garmin at $10 and sold for $30 ... ah, hindsight ...

I'm on my second round of Apple. Bought it decades ago, not much was happening, sold it (made a small profit). Had I kept it, half-million right now. But I did buy in again at $90. It's going for the new avionics and payoff the house and maybe some gold, since it's always opposite to the market. I really do like having gold coins in the bank box. Of course the 28% capital gains aint fun when you sell.

Bought Amazon at the beginning, went no place, sold it - not a loss, but not much of a profit either....

Next stupid thing I did - sell my Dad's house in Phoenix. Wind chill in Denver last night was -14 F. Why on earth did I sell Dad's house? Oh yeah....May, June, July, August and often September. I guess not so stupid. He used to spend the summer with me, running up my electric bill. When I bought the house I had ceiling fans installed. I came home from work one day...looked around...something was really odd....Dad says "I was hot, so I had AC installed".

Just had the realization.....

If I had taken the large downpayment money I used to purchase my Model 3 and had purchased Tesla stock when it was at it's low of $178/share.....

And then cash out yesterday, I would have been able to pay off my car loan, pay the capital gains, and still have some cash left over.

Dammit.
Really want to cry?
Jan 2012 - $30
Jan 2013 - $37
March 1, 2013 - $37
March 31, 2013 - $54
Feb1, 2014 - $244

Ha. My father told me to buy Microsoft as soon as it went public. I rather quickly made $18K profit, a fortune for me at the time. Had I held on to it, the stock value would have been in the seven figures (after a couple of blips; that's why my money guy hates it when people look at stock prices daily!)

Many years ago, my dad was having minor surgery, and I was reading a money magazine I picked up in the hospital. They were talking about a computer company, and the article was compelling enough, I bought a couple grand worth of stock (which for me, just out of college, was big money). I followed it for awhile but it really didn't go anywhere at first, so then I forgot about it. A little over a year later, at tax time, I got a tax form notice from the stockbroker, and I remembered the purchase. Imagine my surprise when my "couple grand worth" was now enough to buy my first airplane (no joke, this is how I bought my first airplane). I wish I could do that again. Thank you Dell.

Now I can't complain, but:
Of course if I had held it for a few more years, I could have bought a MUCH nicer first airplane.

"Berkshire Hatheway? Who can make money on that at $22k a share?"

I will say that I sold my PLCM at $35 when I left. Was pretty obvious the place would go downhill without me. LOL. Kidding.

Still. That was a good one.

The pump and dump CEO they hired after Bob was walked out after letting his girlfriend (allegedly) buy a new washer and dryer for their condo on his company card amongst others things.

But he sure looked good and sounded convincing in those CNBC interviews! LOL. Scumbag.

I don’t think the shareholders got $35 when the Microsoft shill company bought them and didn’t know what to do with them, or later when Logitech bought them.

Great company under Bob. Train wreck after that. Me leaving was just a coincidence really, but it worked out pretty damn well for me. :)

I figure I made enough in Tesla stock for maybe a bumper in a couple of days this week.

I've been watching the stock's rise of late, and thinking that it was a bit overvalued. I didn't have the stomach for shorting it (and have had bad experiences with my broker closing out my trade on me at a bad time), so I looked at options. Man they are expensive. After the Monday run up, I held my breath and purchased the minimum -- one contract to sell 100 shares of Tesla at $740/share through July of this year. It cost $95 (or $9500). The price of the stock rose the rest of the day and I had paper losses. Tuesday was another big gain for the stock. Surprisingly, however, my put options increased in value -- I guess the wild swings made the insurance more expensive. Wednesday when the stock came back a bit to earth, I decided I'd had enough and sold for $125 (or $12,500). Like I said, I think that $3,000 would probably buy me a bumper of a car.

Ha. My father told me to buy Microsoft as soon as it went public. I rather quickly made $18K profit, a fortune for me at the time. Had I held on to it, the stock value would have been in the seven figures (after a couple of blips; that's why my money guy hates it when people look at stock prices daily!)

Yeah, banging out projects on desktops in the computer stacks at the Engineering School Library, I specifically remember saying to myself, "This MS/DOS 3.1 is wicked!" Should have figured out how to monetize that.

But no, I had to get all cute and figure out how to change the font in WordStar for my Engineering Literature paper into Mandarin before printing (which I had to walk about a quarter mile from the Stacks to the Print Center to retrieve), just so I could toss it to the Professor and say, "I don't unerstand the subject, it's like they're speaking Chinese!" She laughed, and I felt so good about myself.

Failed comedian. Failed investor. At least I am the best pilot I ever saw.

Knew a few lawyers who worked in Seattle and one of the firm’s client was a small startup company. They were about to go public so they decided to invest in them before the IPO was issued. Borrowed every dollar they could, emptied their 401k’s, mortgaged their houses, etc. Everyone (myself included) thought they were crazy and would be broke in short order. Besides who would buy the company’s product - a cup of coffee for $2? Probably don’t need to tell rest of the story. Shoulda, woulda, coulda is a sad song to sing sometimes

Back