CFIs, do you care if your student uses other CFIs?

triton63

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
triton63
I have a CFI that I am working with on my SEL add on to my commercial, instrument, rotary wing ticket. His schedule is busy as is mine. I prefer to stick with one CFI but due to scheduling I am thinking about calling others to get my time in. Is that advisable or should I stick with one instructor? I like the idea of seeing how other instructors cover the maneuvers.

I see nothing wrong, but ultimately ask your CFI. The one downside is that even though you learned one thing with one CFI, you may have to repeat to show where you are on the learning curve with that particular subject.

As long as they aren’t mortal enemies. Why not. Sometimes it’s good to have a different set of eyes looking at ya.

It doesn't offend me. If I know I've messed something up, it does BOTHER me.

I welcome it... If they come back and tell me "So-and-So says I am doing such-and-such wrong" and they were doing it like I taught them, it gives me an opportunity to explore my own methods for areas of improvement. It also gives them the opportunity to experience different teaching styles. Who knows? Maybe that plateau they have been experiencing was my fault, not theirs...

o_O

I have a CFI that I am working with on my SEL add on to my commercial, instrument, rotary wing ticket. His schedule is busy as is mine. I prefer to stick with one CFI but due to scheduling I am thinking about calling others to get my time in. Is that advisable or should I stick with one instructor? I like the idea of seeing how other instructors cover the maneuvers.
Flying involves procedures and techniques. Procedures are pretty much engraved in concrete by the manufacturer and regulations, while technique varies from one instructor to the next. Who is to say that CFI #1's techniques are better than those of CFI #2? Try both and see which fits you.

I have had instructors get enraged at me for flying with their students even though it was at the direction of the chief instructor....that said more about them than it did about me. A good instructor will encourage you to fly with another instructor occasionally.

Bob Gardner

I absolutely don’t mind if you fly with another instructor. However, please have the courtesy to let me know you’re doing it and why. If I don’t know you’re flying with another instructor, then I can’t coordinate training items with that instructor. I have sent students to other instructors before, but it always involves me telling the other instructor where we’re at in training, problem areas and things they may be able to help on.

Doubt they care, but also not sure if this is going to be more or less of a pain. I’d just switch CFIs

My biggest struggle with multiple CFIs (I had many on my way to my private due to travel), is that expectations differ. It's probably different for you since you already have several certificates, but \one instructor wanted to see 10 abeam, 20 before base and 30 before final and another wanted to wait until the runway was made before flaps 30. One wanted me to fly at full speed until abeam, and another wanted me to throttle back before turning downwind. Shrug. I made adjustments along the way, but it wasn't always smooth.

My biggest struggle with multiple CFIs (I had many on my way to my private due to travel), is that expectations differ. It's probably different for you since you already have several certificates, but \one instructor wanted to see 10 abeam, 20 before base and 30 before final and another wanted to wait until the runway was made before flaps 30. One wanted me to fly at full speed until abeam, and another wanted me to throttle back before turning downwind. Shrug. I made adjustments along the way, but it wasn't always smooth.

That's the Procedures vs Techniques process mentioned earlier. When that happened to me in the past, I just rolled with it for the moment then discussed it later on the ground. Occasionally it has caused me to change my technique, but unless it becomes a Safety of Flight issue or something that can damage the aircraft I just usually tuck it away and chalk it up as P vs T.

Most of my students had a “backup” instructor if I was busy and I would just inform the other instructor of the student’s progress and where they were at in their training. They would also have stage checks with the chief pilot. Another set of eyes is a good thing.

Another slice of swiss cheese, if you like that theory.

I prefer it, especially around checkride prep time when everything is gelling once and for all. Another CFI can wring a few extra "ah ha!"s from the student.

I have flown with 36 CFIs and learned something from each of them.

I just flew with a client who got transition training and his proficiency check ride from another CFI.

He flew well and I suspect the other CFI helped make him a better pilot.

What is not to like?

I absolutely don’t mind if you fly with another instructor. However, please have the courtesy to let me know you’re doing it and why. If I don’t know you’re flying with another instructor, then I can’t coordinate training items with that instructor. I have sent students to other instructors before, but it always involves me telling the other instructor where we’re at in training, problem areas and things they may be able to help on.
It yet an instructor.... but this is my answer too.

especially on coordinating...

not a cfi so can't answer the question
but to comment
as a student I flew with most all of the other instructors in the school at one time or another. Sometimes it was for the school's required "progress checks", other times availability....and other times it was just because the random instructor was bored and was willing to go up with me since I was going anyway...

I usually found it a bit frustrating. Most seem to have slightly different little ways of doing things, and they are quick to instruct.....I start doing something, then they jump in showing me their way... just distracting and made me often feel like I was taking 1 step backwards to go 2 forward....then I'd find myself faced with doing something & since I didn't have my own clearly defined "way" I'd find myself stuck not knowing which way I should do this thing to avoid getting "corrected" by the instructor. Like a kid who's mom tells him one thing and dad tells him another..... he can't win!

All that said, I do of course see value in considering other ideas and methods on occasion.

No problem and it can be a great idea.

I was sent to a second CFI. Some of my students went to a second CFI (one was almost soloed by the other CFI). Some students were referred to me by another CFI and vice versa.

The possible downside is confusion due to varying techniques. Too many CFIs violate the First Commandment*.The upside is a good learning experience and, in many of the referral cases, a second set of eyes to help with a problem.

(*The First Commandment: thou shalt not screw with a technique that works just because you like another.)

Been on both sides of this many times.

At my flight school, you were required to fly with another CFI before soloing, and before your practical. I chose the pretty girl CFI each time, because she was really good, of course.

At the presolo stage, it is better to stick with one instructor. At your level, it is actually helpful to fly with different instructors.

I agree as time goes on learning from multiple perspectives is the way to go, no one cfi holds all the magic. You can learn a lot from different perspectives

I have flown with 36 CFIs and learned something from each of them.

I just flew with a client who got transition training and his proficiency check ride from another CFI.

He flew well and I suspect the other CFI helped make him a better pilot.

What is not to like?

Having flown with I don’t know how many instructors over 50 years of living this gift from God, including primary and advanced civilian, primary and advanced military, professional captains, recurrent training, factory designated, friends, family , etc, etc, etc......I can say I’ve learned or witnessed teachable material with just about every flight. There seem to be as many approaches and philosophies to/of aviation as there are pilots. And interestingly, only a very, very small subset of those observations were questionable or reckless enough to be best ignored. Aviation is sublime. And Lindberg when asked to state his preference said if he had to choose, he would choose birds over airplanes.

When I learned in 1990 through a 141 school I was also required to fly with a different CFI for my "stage checks". I thought it was good just to see a different perspective. The best part was the CFI for my "stage checks" was also a crop duster so emergency procedures were a lot of fun. He also was building a cabin along a river so we got to go see that about 6' off the water. Good times.

Having trained with 7 different CFIs, all I have to say is, I didn't realize there were so many different ways to accomplish the same thing!

I’m working on my PPL and just flew with another CFI for the first time for my night flight intro. I learned a few things from him that I hadn’t from my primary CFI. It was actually refreshing.

I’m working on my PPL and just flew with another CFI for the first time for my night flight intro. I learned a few things from him that I hadn’t from my primary CFI. It was actually refreshing.

New things as in completely new concepts that you haven't seen before or as in different ways to do the same things you have alreay been doing?

I don't mind if students use other CFI's. Usually its a good learning experience.

One exception, I trained someone through private and instrument, and then flew with them a few months later. For some reason she looked to be having a hard time finding the runway on landing, and was touching down slightly crabbed each time. I then noticed her looking out the side window during the flare. Turns out she flew with a different CFI who advised her to look at the main wheel (cessna) if she was having a hard time judging her height above the runway. It took awhile to get her to quit this habit..

Does it bother me? No, not a bit (but, like others, I'd like a heads-up). But, do I think it's a good idea for primary students (save for some pre-checkride "check up" flights)? Depends on the student. Some students are much more prone to confusion than others, and going between multiple CFIs with different techniques has the potential to create issues for some folks. Some handle it great, and it can be a good way to expand skills by seeing different viewpoints. Others are better to stick with one CFI until they get through primary training (and, in some cases, instrument training). By the time you're at the more advanced level (commercial, multi), you ought to know enough to be able to filter out any potential noise that may arise from flying with multiple instructors.

New things as in completely new concepts that you haven't seen before or as in different ways to do the same things you have alreay been doing?
mainly the latter - he gave me some tips on how to best adjust for drift on my final approach/landing

They’ll always swipe right on you on Tinder even if you break up. LOL.
Wasn't there a random guy here on PoA a few years ago who was trying to push suggestions for a pilot's only dating app? It was one of those "I have 2 posts but I'm coming in swinging like I own the place" people.. can't find it now though

Wasn't there a random guy here on PoA a few years ago who was trying to push suggestions for a pilot's only dating app? It was one of those "I have 2 posts but I'm coming in swinging like I own the place" people.. can't find it now though

I try to forget such things. :)

Find instructors with some time and experience. New CFIs can tend to scalp the information.

My CFI intentionally had me fly with other CFIs to make sure he wasn't missing stuff.

the fbo has 2 CFII I go with whomever has a slot that works, and the weather cooperates
crop duster vs. lifer

Having trained with 7 different CFIs, all I have to say is, I didn't realize there were so many different ways to accomplish the same thing!
Best part is, you get to figure out which technique is best for you, and then maybe defend that choice to an instructor who thinks his way is best. :)

Back