Kirk Douglas rides west

Man, he was certainly part of Hollywood’s Golden Age... May he RIP.

Wow, 103. Quite a run!

“Splash the Zeros...I say again, splash the Zeros.” RIP Capt Yelland

View attachment 82582
One of my favorite Kirk Douglas roles.

But I think my favorite Kirk Douglas line will always be:

“Well , I'm afraid I cannot accept you as Rock Torrey's son. I think somebody got in there ahead of him”

Quite the handsome man.

My earliest memory of him is in a movie I saw as a young teen or pre-teen:

51K8KEHGS1L.jpg

I mainly remember being shocked by the gore - mainly someone taking an arrow in the eye. From the movie jacket, it might have been Kirk himself.

Precious few left from that generation. Even their kids, like Michael Douglas and Jamie Lee Curtis and Jane Fonda are getting up there in years.

I had no idea he was still alive. 103, wow.

103, hell of a ride!

If you have HBO, there is a documentary by Carl Reiner interviewing a number of very active nonagenarians, including Mel Brooks, Betty White, Dick Van Dyke, and Kirk Douglas. At 103 he still rocked a gray ponytail.

I was on Nimitz for part of the filming of Final Countdown. Have a photo somewhere of Kirk Douglas in the E-2 cockpit.
I was away at college, but my folks lived in Newport News at the time. I was visiting them when that movie came out and went to see it at a local theater. A lot of the other people in the theater were sailors and many had been extras - it was pretty funny to watch the movie during scenes on the Nimitz and then hear a bunch of people around me start laughing at one of their buddies on camera.

Paths of Glory

It's one that a lot of people have missed, but it's one of Kubrick's better movies and Douglas also does a great job in it.

I was away at college, but my folks lived in Newport News at the time. I was visiting them when that movie came out and went to see it at a local theater. A lot of the other people in the theater were sailors and many had been extras - it was pretty funny to watch the movie during scenes on the Nimitz and then hear a bunch of people around me start laughing at one of their buddies on camera.

I was just a kid but saw it in the theater. The one thing that stood out was how loud the opening scene was. Classic! The first draft script for the movie was named The Aberrant. Final script was renamed The Final Countdown.

7842764A-4820-4FD1-A722-BA3B842E9E7C.jpeg

Final Countdown was a fun movie, now I want to watch it again .

The Blu-ray is a good reproduction. Worth it just for the behind the scenes pilot stories.

I was on Nimitz for part of the filming of Final Countdown. Have a photo somewhere of Kirk Douglas in the E-2 cockpit.
Didn't dig for my photo, but another old Golden Hawk posted this up on a different forum...
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 9.58.43 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 9.58.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 9.58.43 AM.png
    402.5 KB · Views: 4
Never realized Kirk was in a bad helicopter crash in 91. Midair.

He was really great too in “Lonely are the Brave”. For that time period too, the bar fight with the one armed man was brutal. His character in that film was really something.

I too like "Lonely Are the Brave" 1962, I believe it was his favorite film. Some other really good Douglas films are "Ace in the Hole" 1951, I remember seeing it on TV as a kid. "Paths of Glory" 1957, "Seven Days in May" 1964, "Gunfight at the OK Corral" 1957.
He was one of the last surviving actors from old Hollywood, except for Olivia De Havilland, 103 years old in "Gone With the Wind" 1939 and Norman Lloyd, 105 years old, He was the spy who fell to his death from the Statue of Liberty in Hitchcock's "Saboteur" 1942.

Back