Panel upgrade - cast your vote.

Keep the 530W with 2 stacks - or - 255A with 1 stack?

• Keep the 530W with 2 stacks

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • 255A with 1 stack

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

ltiii

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Larry T
I'm in the middle of a panel upgrade and I have some decisions to make. I'd love to get some thoughts from other pilots. I have a PA46 Mirage with all steam gauges. I'm doing a full panel upgrade to include G500TXi, GTN750, etc. Here is a mockup of what I am planning to do:

Panel with 255A one stack.jpg

I have a 530W in my current panel that I was planning on selling to recoup some of the cost of the upgrade. I was going to install the 255A for the #2 nav/com (rather than the GTN650 because of cost savings - yes, cost is an issue). But, I'm starting to second guess that plan, and wondering if I should just keep the 530W which would give me a more robust #2 nav/com as it would give me backup GPS, etc. That would result in a 2 stack panel like this:

Panel with 530W two stacks.jpg

One of my concerns about keeping the 530W is that is older technology and is now 2 generations old with the release of the new 750Xi. I'm sure Garmin will stop support soon, and there may/may not be a market for the 530W. It's still a great unit and seems (to me, at least) to be more capable than the 255A. I'm also starting to wonder if the 2 stack panel layout gives me more flexibility if I want to add something new down the road.

So, I'd appreciate your input. Keep the 530 and go 2 stacks? Sell the 530, go with the 255A and a single stack? What would you do? Other pros/cons to consider with going either way?

Thanks!

Any choice is a bit of a gamble. I’d keep the 530W and move the transponder in your second image down a bit enough to clear a 750 (hopefully) a few years down the road when the GNS dies. In the meantime having a second GPS in the panel that you’ve already paid for is better than shelling out a few AMUs for a less capable radio.

I picked the “keep 530” option.

A third choice - Avidyne IFD-540 is a slide-in replacement that would allow you to save all that money on labor, then sell the 530 to recoup some of the IFD cost, and help pay for 255A purchase and install. Or you could even go with IFD-550 instead of the -540 for redundant synthetic vision.

What about keeping the 530 but adding wiring for a 750xi as well. I have no idea of the differences but maybe you can plan ahead for a simple swap down the road.

Thanks for your replies so far! I appreciate the feedback.

I’d keep the 530W and move the transponder in your second image down a bit enough to clear a 750 (hopefully) a few years down the road when the GNS dies. In the meantime having a second GPS in the panel that you’ve already paid for is better than shelling out a few AMUs for a less capable radio.

That's kinda what I was thinking...I actually have a 3rd option which is to go with dual 750's right from the start. I did not present that option for voting, since I just can't justify the additional cost. Even if I remove and sell the 530W, it will still cost another $10K over and above that to add the second 750. It just seems like overkill at this point. I would absolutely plan for the ability to remove the 530W and replace it with another 750 (or whatever the latest and greatest is from the G team at that point in time).

Panel with dual 750s.jpg

What about keeping the 530 but adding wiring for a 750xi as well. I have no idea of the differences but maybe you can plan ahead for a simple swap down the road.

That's a really interesting idea. I hadn't thought about pre-wiring for the possible swap from the 530 to 750. I will discuss that option with my shop.

Attachments

• Panel with dual 750s.jpg
    Panel with dual 750s.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 14
I’d stack your navcoms verticals with the larger screen up top.

AP control very top, audio below
Transponder down low or where ever

I would keep the 530W. You can crossfill from the 750 to the 530W. And I don't think Garmin is going to quit supporting the 430/530 any time soon. There's just way too many of them out there, and most would abandon Garmin and do an Avidyne slide in if Garmin left us hanging.

Garmin GFC500 auto pilot can couple with a Garmin G5 attitude as a back up to your Garmin PFD.

Stick with one manufacturer....

recommend!

Neither the G5 or the GFC500 are an option for the PA46. The only AP option will be the GFC600 - but, as of now, that has only been approved for the PA46 JetProp. The JP owners are reporting a cost of around $30K installed for the GFC600...and I do have a budget. :)

I voted keep the 530W. If you remote the transponder it looks like you might be able to stay single stack?

I went with single GTN and 255. I didn’t want the hassle of upgrading 2 different generations of databases and 2 different interfaces...sell the 530 while you can get good money for it.

Tom

Can I propose one more stack option?

How about selling the 345 and 530W and putting in a 375 and 255A? Gives you a back up WAAS GPS, which is more important than a secondary NAV radio (assuming you can't do 3 sources into the G500, as is the case with my G3x), and an ADS-B transponder, and you don't shell out much more, net of selling stuff (might even come out ahead).

Otherwise - why not stack a 650? What you can get for the 530W currently (and not in the future) is not a big difference (if much at all) for what you can get a 650 for with some negotiation.

Garmin GFC500 auto pilot can couple with a Garmin G5 attitude as a back up to your Garmin PFD.

Stick with one manufacturer....

recommend!

Neither the G5 or the GFC500 are an option for the PA46. The only AP option will be the GFC600 - but, as of now, that has only been approved for the PA46 JetProp. The JP owners are reporting a cost of around $30K installed for the GFC600...and I do have a budget. :)

Yeah, Garmin is probably never going to certify the GFC500 for the PA46, much like the G3x won't go in it either. I'm fairly shocked they haven't certified the G5 for the PA46, at least as a backup.

Interesting thoughts - I appreciate it.

Otherwise - why not stack a 650?

When I priced everything out I opted for the 255A, because after installation the 650 was $8-10K more than the 255A. But, now that the 650Xi is out, an original 650 left over might be more affordable. I will look into it. Thanks for your thoughts!

Interesting thoughts - I appreciate it.

When I priced everything out I opted for the 255A, because after installation the 650 was $8-10K more than the 255A. But, now that the 650Xi is out, an original 650 left over might be more affordable. I will look into it. Thanks for your thoughts!

Think of it this way - how much will that 530W be worth in a couple years, let alone 5? Right now, 530W and 430W are probably near peak in their value (maybe even dropping slightly). If you get like $8-9k for the 530W, you're only netting a few thousand more for the 650 - a product with a long life that fits and integrates well with the 750. You probably net out even, given that the 255A has a cost to it. It also gives you 100% redundancy, instead of having to choose between radio and GPS navigation.

You're right about netting out even - but my original plan was to sell the 530W and pocket the money, not put it back into the panel. Still, you make some good points and something I will price out with my shop. Thanks!

Aren't there shops still doing GNS to GTN upgrades??? :dunno:

Last edited:
Aren't there shops still doing GNS to GTN upgrades??? :dunno:

The connections and harnesses are different, so it is basically a new install. The Garmin trade in price is less than you can sell the GNS for, so it is a better deal to just sell the GNS and buy the GTN.

Back