Build IFR Time

Noah Russell

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Russell
Hey Everyone, so I am potentially going to go into a field called Missionary Aviation. One of the guys from the organization recommended that I build IFR time and if possible, turbine time. I know a about flying as a safety pilot, but other than that, are there other ways to build Instrument time? I'm a CPL/IA. Possibly buying an IFR C150 is possibly and option. Thanks for the help

The easiest and best way I found to do it was to flight instruct. In the upper Midwest you’re coming up on one of the two best times to get flyable IMC(spring), so make sure you take the opportunities as they present themselves.

Have you prayed on it?

Ok Ok I'm sorry for the terrible joke. I'm just bitter because missionary flying is amazing, I'm a Comm pilot/A&P but due to my lack of faith I'll never get to do that type of flying.

Outside of CFIing, I'd say get the 150, and start slowly. File IFR in VMC, all the time, to get comfortable with the IFR system. Work your way up to minor enroute IMC, then MVFR approaches, and as you get confident, full IMC approaches. Every time you pop in and out of a cloud, log .5 IFR. That's right, just do it. If at some point on an instrument approach you pass through a layer, log it. That's what most do, because small piston aircraft aren't built to live in the clouds(no icing protection). Imagine how long a CFI in Arizona would take to build 100 hours in 100% IMC, and the clouds there are usually convective. In the field, you probably won't be flying much hardcore IFR anyway in 206s/Caravans/Kodiaks. Also, keep in mind, the airline guys don't really hang out in the clouds either. They blast through it in seconds. They may shoot approaches down to minimums but it's not like they live in the soup. Good luck, I envy your future adventures!

Every time you pop in and out of a cloud, log .5 IFR.

I can see it now...

Date: 02/07/20
Aircraft Type: C150
Tail Number: N6OD
Total Time: 2.4
ASEL: 2.4
PIC: 2.4
Solo: 2.4
X-C: 2.4
Day: 2.4
Act Inst: 43.5
Day Lnd: 1
Notes: White puffy clouds everywhere. So happy I follwed the advice I received on PoA. I will be at 1500 hours actual instrument in no time at ths rate!

This seems like a really silly question but you are instrument rated right??? The “flying as a safety pilot” gave me pause as opposed to flying with a safety pilot.

Back