Cessna Power Computer equivalent???

kep5niner

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pete
I'm looking for more precise calculated cruise power settings for my 310L, above and beyond the power settings shown in the POH. For my year 310, the POH does not take into account OAT and PA. I know newer model's POH (ie. 310R) have the cruise charts broken out for various temp and PA, and all of my previous military flying included computer-based Performance Planning Cards (PPC) completed before each flight, yielding calculated cruise power settings based on actual conditions.

The POH references using the "Cessna 310 Power Computer" for more precise cruise power settings, however the Google has failed to come up with hits for the Cessna Power Computer. Computer / iPad / iPhone based program would be my preferred medium. Any ideas? Thanks!

For an aircraft that old, the “computer” is not going to be an app but more likely plastic template or extensive set of tables. The word computer originally referred to a person who computes numerical values.

Have you contacted Cessna?

We agree. Just haven't found something equivalent that would be aircraft-specific, such as an app. There is a lot out there for performance planning for a broad spectrum of airframes, though I have not been able to find anything for my make / model.

Are you actually looking for power settings for the engines or the power settings and associated cruise speeds?

The engine power settings might be available from Continental. I seem to recall they published that information but I haven’t went looking for it for quite some time. If not, the tables found in the newer 310 you referenced should work if the engine is the same.

Power settings for the engines, relative to actual temp and PA as a % of power. That would be more useful to me vs. cruise speeds (ie. <65% for LOP ops). I'm not sure what subsequent models used the IO-470, but that is a good tip to use the charts to the same engine. Ideally, an app I could plug the numbers into would be great. But I'm no stranger to using charts / tab data either.

Instead of flipping through manuals why not just go up and record your own numbers? If you have a EFIS that records flight data that makes it 10 times easier.

For my cruise calculations I go off weight and %power. I keep it simple with basically calculations for a single pilot and one for max gross. I run three different cruise power settings; 55%, 60%, 65%. I run each power setting at increments of 2000 feet up to 12K. Leaning at each power setting and holding it there for about a min (Just so I can find it on the EFIS download).

I have this all loaded in Garmin Pilot, I'm sure other EFBs do something similar. There are options for temperatures as well, I just don't bother with that.

Right. Specifically, I was looking for an app-based equivalent. That's a museum piece!

Easy enough to fit a curve with excel or matlab to answer this sort of question.

For the S35 Bonanza we have a factory “power computer” - it’s a metal circular slide rule like what is found on an E6B. You can set OAT, PA, and then adjust either manifold pressure and/or RPM. It will compute %BHP, TAS and Fuel flow. It’s not very big-it’ll fit in the palm of your hand. Kind of a cool device.

I’ll bet the Cessna 310 Power Computer is a similar device.

Here's a picture of the Beechcraft computer:

S35 Computer.jpg

Those might be easier to use than a poorly designed app that tried to take all the values off one of those and generate equations for those numbers

Those might be easier to use than a poorly designed app that tried to take all the values off one of those and generate equations for those numbers
I don't see anything on there that would be beyond about 6th grade math. Almost all of them (if not all of them) are simple linear equations. Not sure how you could possibly implement it poorly.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. A developer I've been in contact with offers a very attractive app, and I'm pursuing a potential custom offering for my aircraft. Here's the link: https://www.gyronimo.com/

If there are other performance apps out there along those lines, I'm all ears. Thanks again for the input.

Back