Your "what if" plane

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Maybe it's just me... okay yeah it's probably just me, but does anyone else have a "what if" plane?
If a hangar collapsed on my 180 - I'd replace it with a Maule M7-235
If I wanted a high wing retract - 182RG
If I wanted a low wing fixed gear - Diamond DA40
If I wanted a twin - 310
If I wanted a high-wing tricycle gear plane - 206
If I wanted a low wing retract - Bellanca Viking
If I wanted an experimental -Glasair Sportsman 2+2 tailwheel

Of course I wanted a high wing taildragger and so I got a 180, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate other types of planes! "if" I was in the market for a different type, the above is what I'd be getting for sure. Anyone else have a similar list you think of when taxiing by another plane that's on it? :)

Last edited:
If I won the lottery.......................wait for it

......................a little more.......................

I'd still fly a short body Mooney. Possibly a nicer one, with more boxes in the panel.

If a hangar collapsed on my Venture - I'd replace it with a Murphy Super Rebel or Bearhawk
If I wanted a high wing retract - 210
If I wanted a low wing fixed gear - RV9
If I wanted a twin - Twin Bonanza or Apache
If I wanted a high-wing tricycle gear plane - Glasair Sportsman
If I wanted a low wing retract - Malibu if I could find someone to blame for losing my plane, Bonanza if I only get insured value.

Last edited:
If a hangar collapsed on my Mooney - I'd take the insurance money and think about it for a while
If I wanted a low wing fixed gear - RV8A
If I wanted a twin - MU2 (Hey, if we're dreaming...)
If I wanted a high-wing tricycle gear plane - Just Superstol (Oh, wait, that's a tailwheel, but it's my answer anyway...deal!)
If I wanted a low wing retract - TBM

If there was no other plane to choose.... I’d get a......

I seriously can’t answer this one. I haven’t flown a plane yet I didn’t enjoy flying on some level.

If a hangar collapsed - I'd replace it with another Archer?
If I wanted a low wing fixed gear - SR22
If I wanted a twin - 310R
If I wanted a high-wing tricycle gear plane - T182
If I wanted a low wing retract - F33A (IO550)
If I wanted an experimental - RV-14

I'm pretty much at the point of flying the perfect aircraft for the mission all around - the MU-2 is just a fantastic airplane that fits the needs of Cloud Nine beautifully. I don't think the insurance would pay out enough to buy a similar quality example and that might force a downgrade.

However, assuming the money was there, I would probably want to replace it with a long body with -10s just because of the extra altitude capability that goes with the -10s and the extra capacity that goes with the long body.

I'm pretty much at the point of flying the perfect aircraft for the mission all around - the MU-2 is just a fantastic airplane that fits the needs of Cloud Nine beautifully. I don't think the insurance would pay out enough to buy a similar quality example and that might force a downgrade.

However, assuming the money was there, I would probably want to replace it with a long body with -10s just because of the extra altitude capability that goes with the -10s and the extra capacity that goes with the long body.
Maybe replace it with a Cheyenne 400LS; they fly high and fast, and still have the Garrett scream! (I've been in one, on the ground, back in the day. Don't know how the interior compares with the MU-2).
But given more resources than I currently have, I'd get a Diamond DA62 for local flights, and a nice used Piaggio P.180 Evo for longer hauls.

Maybe replace it with a Cheyenne 400LS; they fly high and fast, and still have the Garrett scream! (I've been in one, on the ground, back in the day. Don't know how the interior compares with the MU-2).
But given more resources than I currently have, I'd get a Diamond DA62 for local flights, and a nice used Piaggio P.180 Evo for longer hauls.

The MU-2 is worth approximately $250k (at least that's what it's insured for, and I think what it would sell for). Keep in mind it's an older F model with -1s which makes it less desirable.

A similar condition -10 model (whether a short or long body) would be roughly double that value, and not too much off for a -5 or -6 model.

I love the 400LS, but it's still an airframe that's pushing $1M, and for that you get an airplane with only something like 25 examples flying, only one shop that can realistically support them (Cheyenne Air in western PA), and special TPE-331s. The -14s were the triple stage compressor and still calling it a TPE-331 is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. There's just no way the operating costs on one of those would be attainable. And frankly, I'm not convinced that for my mission it would be cheaper and/or better to operate than a CJ, which in a lot of cases has a lower purchase price with better support.

High wing? 182
Low wing? NA SR22 or TB20
Tail dragger? Swift
Multi engine? Well.. if I'm going to dream about having enoughtime to stay proficient an Electra Jr.

For me, it's all about the mission.
If I need to get in and out of the backcountry: C185
If I need to haul people far and fast: DA62
If I need to haul people very far and very fast: Piaggio
If I only need to haul a couple people kind of far: SR22, RV10
If I'm just putting around the patch: J-3 Cub
If anyone has trouble boarding: C177

Backcountry taildragger - the Dawg I already have
Retractable twin (if the hangar collapsed) - Cessna Conquest II
Ultimate airplane? Gulfstream G650 (with a full crew complement)

Considering that Ed's no longer with us, if he shows up at your house I'm pretty sure buying an airplane would not be what's on your mind.
What? That can't be true! I saw him on TV the other day, handing out a check!!!! :D

Only plane I’d take over mine would be a DHC2 and with that I’d have to get a bigger hangar, change my docks, etc etc etc

Plus I’d go slower and burn more fuel to just haul around me plus 1

Only plane I’d take over mine would be a DHC2 and with that I’d have to get a bigger hangar, change my docks, etc etc etc

Yeah... but Radial, so definitely worth it.

And what's the problem with that? :D

And what's the problem with that? :D

If I’m going to go slower than my 120kts, I’d just get a N3 pup on tundras for 5% the price of mine, burn 2gph of mogas,experimental easy of mx, and be able to land and keep it most peoples back yards

Won the lottery: Twin Otter

won a bigger lottery: Twin Otter and a Hughes 500E

the mother of all lotteries: add a PC24 to the above list.

most likely to actually be mine one day: a basic day/night VFR RV8 build with the 390 out front.

Won the lottery: Twin Otter

won a bigger lottery: Twin Otter and a Hughes 500E

the mother of all lotteries: add a PC24 to the above list.

most likely to actually be mine one day: a basic day/night VFR RV8 build with the 390 out front.

390? Why not a 550

If the lottery collapsed on my non existent plane
If I wanted a seaplane - 185
If I wanted a single engine hauler - A36 or Saratoga
If I wanted a twin - Twin Bonanza, Aztec, or Commander
If I wanted a high-wing tricycle gear plane - Glasair Sportsman or a 206
If I wanted a low wing retract - Comanche 400 or 260 TC
If I wanted a new challenge - gyrocopter
If I wanted something simple and just for me, probably an ultralight

That gulfstream g700 looks pretty decent. I guess I'd take one of those... if only I could get them to lower the price by a few 000's

Maybe it's just me... okay yeah it's probably just me, but does anyone else have a "what if" plane?
There have been a lot of threads on "if money were no object" choices. Money most definitely is an object, so I'll limit my picks to those close to my current C-172N/180hp operating budget.

(My current airplane seems perfect for our mission at this time. If something happened to Ol' Paint my first choice would be its clone; but for purposes of this thread I'll exclude that.)

If I wanted a high wing retract - Can't think of any I'd want. Seriously.
If I wanted a low wing fixed gear - Cherokee 235; or stretching the budget envelope, maybe a Cherokee Six 260 and take out two seats. Or maybe a Tiger.
If I wanted a twin - Nope, nada, nein, нет, uh-uh.
If I wanted a high-wing fixed-gear plane - C-182, preferably B through D model. Then again I might decide to downsize to a Citabria.
If I wanted a low wing retract - Not really interested in a retract. But if I had to pick one: Short-body Arrow 200; would consider Mooney M20E. Intrigued by the Viking, but probably out of my league in operating expenses. Comanche, too. I liked my K35 Bonanza, but not interested in going back to that kind of complexity now.
If I wanted an experimental - RV-9A -- or maybe an RV-12 and go the Light Sport route.
Langweilig, nicht wahr? ;)

Last edited:
I wouldn’t want that out front and still do gentleman aerobatics. Just makes me nervous. If just for a get there now airplane... definitely. The 550 is just to much over the the original designed weight up there for me.

What is this “too much” you speak of?

If a hangar collapsed on my V35 - I'd replace it with a Bonanza with air conditioning.
If I wanted a high wing retract - Bonanza with air conditioning.
If I wanted a low wing fixed gear - Bonanza with air conditioning.
If I wanted a twin - Bonanza with air conditioning.
If I wanted a high-wing tricycle gear plane - Bonanza with air conditioning.
If I wanted a low wing retract -Bonanza with air conditioning.
If I wanted an experimental -Bonanza with air conditioning.

Why is "plane" singular? And what's all this "IF I wanted" stuff?

If a hangar collapsed on my 180 - I'd replace it with a Maule M7-235
If I wanted a high wing retract - 182RG
If I wanted a low wing fixed gear - Diamond DA40
If I wanted a twin - 310
If I wanted a high-wing tricycle gear plane - 206
If I wanted a low wing retract - Bellanca Viking
If I wanted an experimental -Glasair Sportsman 2+2 tailwheel

No "if" about these - I want them. Affording them, of course, is another matter:

Single traveling bird: Keep my Mooney Ovation... Or maybe replace with an Ovation Ultra, or at least an O3 with G1000 NXi and FIKI.
Experimental single traveling bird: Ravin 500
Twin traveling bird: Cessna 310R... Or maybe a Diamond DA62 Super TwinStar. :D
Single turboprop traveling bird: TBM 940
Twin turboprop traveling bird: King Air 300 with the Blackhawk upgrade, G1000 NXi upgrade, and all the Raisbeck mods
Jet traveling bird: Pilatus PC24. A jet that can get in and out of 3,000 feet of grass is the coolest thing ever invented.
Two-seat taildragger: Globe Swift with stick, canopy, 210hp, and Mustang gear door mods... Part red paint and part polish.
Aerobatic: Extra 330LT
Single/Experimental seaplane: Seawind 3000
Twin turbine seaplane: De Havilland Twin Otter
Amphibious RV seaplane: Grumman Albatross
Single piston USAAF warbird: North American P-51D Mustang
Single piston USN warbird: Chance Vought F4U Corsair
Single turbine USAF warbird: Beech T-6B Texan II
Twin piston USAAF warbird: Beech AT-11 Kansan (basically, a Beech 18/C-45 with a bomber nose)
Multi turboprop USAF warbird: Lockheed AC-130J. Because both the 4th of July and the Halloween pumpkin bombing should be epic.
Single Jet Warbird: Aero Vodochody L-39 Albatros
Twin Jet Warbird: Northrop T-38 Talon

EDIT: I forgot a few categories (and cool aircraft)
Glider: Schempp-Hirth Duo Discus
Rare Certified Piston Twin: Wing Derringer
Rare Certified Turbine Twin: Beech Starship
Ultralight twin: Lockwood AirCam
Wooden warbird: De Havilland Mosquito

I'd love to try a gyrocopter but I know nothing about the makes and models available.

This has been fun. :)

Last edited:
I don't currently own anything....
but these sorts of what-ifs keep bouncing around in my head..... and honestly I can't land on one to focus on
At one point years ago I was dead set on finding an old C170 to fix up....but then...well life got in the way.
cessna 182 would be great but not enough seats for my family and too $$$ these days
if I had a hangar I'd love to get an old Aeronca Champ
An American Ranger Gyro would be a kick

If I wanted a twin - Twin Bonanza or Apache
Back when I was trying for my multi rating, I used to say that I loved that old Apache airframe. It was big, comfortable, and stable...just grossly under powered with the old tired 150HP engines...and the old tired airframe, with it's leaky tanks, bad door, and constant stream of other squawks keeping it grounded was...well distasteful.
I got to fly a 160HP version for a couple hours. Better, but not much. I recon a couple 250HP or so hanging on it would be sweet.
I'd love to see one with much bigger engines and a complete refurb/refresh with modernized panel and interior. The longer nose square tailed azteks just never appealed to me though.

If something happened to Ol' Paint my first choice would be its clone
Yeah, I've seen the action shots of your gauges and heard the stories. I don't think such a beast exists. I think she's one-of-a-kind.

Back when I was trying for my multi rating, I used to say that I loved that old Apache airframe. It was big, comfortable, and stable...just grossly under powered with the old tired 150HP engines...and the old tired airframe, with it's leaky tanks, bad door, and constant stream of other squawks keeping it grounded was...well distasteful.
I got to fly a 160HP version for a couple hours. Better, but not much. I recon a couple 250HP or so hanging on it would be sweet.
I'd love to see one with much bigger engines and a complete refurb/refresh with modernized panel and interior. The longer nose square tailed azteks just never appealed to me though.
Sounds like you want an Apache 235. 118 of them were built in 1963-65. They are in the PA-27 serial number series, like the Aztecs, and they're more a down-rated '61 Aztec ("half-Aztec"? :D ) than an up-rated Apache. I haven't flown an Apache 235, but having experience in the Apache 160 and the Turbo Aztec I'd think that with four aboard and some bags, 235 hp per side should be sufficient.

pa-23-235.jpg

Yes! missing that classic round tail, but I suppose I can't have it all!

Back