How long does special issuance 3rd class take?

40YearDream

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
40YearDream
I have been working with 'Pilot Medical Solutions' to get things lined up for a 3rd class special issuance (due to a couple of medical flags). All the medical paperwork, records, stress test, etc., etc., etc. were gathered and ready. Went to see an AME August 10th 2019. FAA sent me a letter asking for more info a few days later; PMS provided that info (should have happened in latter August 2019). (Edit - the Great Lakes RFS reported that as happening in September - early part, I assume.)

Since then - nothing from the FAA. I've pinged PMS a couple of times (e-mail seems to be the best way to get a response from them, generally). It's been a full 5 months since the AME visit.

Did the FAA lose my application? Even PMS doesn't seem to be able to get any response (assuming that they actually tried!). Or, does it really take that long for my application to "get to the top of the pile" ? Anyone else have a similar experience?

Just not sure what to expect - (I'm a new student pilot, just a few hours of dual - currently paused to get the medical).

Last edited:
last year, my AME exam was mid-June. I had several medical items that took 60 days for the FAA to request more info. I returned that around in about a week. Then a month later, received another request for info. Turned that around in early Oct. By mid-Nov I'd received my SI / 3rd class. So all-in-all about 5 months start to finish. However, i called the FAA office in OKC about 1 / week checking for updates. I'm not familiar with "PMS", but I did solicit help from AOPA's medical services and that seemed to move the FAA along within 30 days each time I sent them info. Not sure this helps, but i'd say you're absence of additional requests from the FAA is suspicious. I would think you should have heard from them by end of Sept given my experience. I suggest you contact your regional flight surgeon and inquire on your status.

You can call FAA medical directly, have your reference numbers ready when you do. Call a couple times a week.

Thanks for the tips. I will try calling the FAA directly. Maybe I can get some answers.

(I have not been impressed with 'Pilot Medical Solutions', so far. For the $1800 I've already sent them, it doesn't feel like I've received my money's worth. They did provide guidance on what records to gather, at least. Maybe shoulda just went with AOPA help for this.)

You can call FAA medical directly, have your reference numbers ready when you do. Call a couple times a week.
Maybe if you call enough times somebody will finally answer the phone. I've called the Great Lakes regional flight surgeon numerous times to ask a question and even left messages. The lights might be on, but nobody's home. I've been waiting over seven weeks for the result of my SI application, again with several calls to OKC. Tried again just now: Recorded message saying call later, too busy to help.

I don't know, the RFS in Jamocha Plains and her assistant were quite prompt and helped me unscramble a screwup Joklahoma city made (which further compounded my AMEs screwup).

Maybe if you call enough times somebody will finally answer the phone. I've called the Great Lakes regional flight surgeon numerous times to ask a question and even left messages. The lights might be on, but nobody's home. I've been waiting over seven weeks for the result of my SI application, again with several calls to OKC. Tried again just now: Recorded message saying call later, too busy to help.

I called the OKC medical number a few times over the years. I’ve had about a 30% success rate of getting through. I’ve tried at different times of the day and mid-day seems worst.

Called the Great Lakes RFS on Monday the 26th - left a message. I was pleasantly surprised (shocked, really) to get a call back - later that same day! The person I spoke to said that all my records from various tests, etc. were present at OKC in the early part of September. (Apparently he had some way of checking via computer.) The bad news was that nothing had happened since then (no surprise there).
He further said he would 'e-mail the supervisor' at OKC, since my application had been sitting for 4+ months - then suggested I call the RFS back if nothing happens within 2 - 3 weeks.
So, now wait for a few more weeks (after this long - patience has been learned).

Why not just call OKC at 405-954-4821 then press one and ask them? It may take 5-10 times to get through. I am almost on a first-name basis with many of them checking in for updates on my SI.

Why not just call OKC at 405-954-4821 then press one and ask them? It may take 5-10 times to get through. I am almost on a first-name basis with many of them checking in for updates on my SI.
I called probably OKC 20 times without an answer but LAX always answered and the lady there was very helpful. Good enough reason?

So, you are saying LA can give you the same information and logging as calling OKC?

I just spoke to OKC and I was told its not the same. OKC flags your file as an "interested airman" and sends a message to the person reviewing the file. The person I spoke with did not believe other centers had anything other than a look at the progress.

I just spoke to OKC and I was told its not the same. OKC flags your file as an "interested airman" and sends a message to the person reviewing the file. The person I spoke with did not believe other centers had anything other than a look at the progress.
Depending on what your special issuance is for being flagged as “interested airman” doesn’t really do anything at all. Getting ahold of the RFS is much easier and they can access the same database as OKC

The FAA teaches you to have patience, I took my initial medical in December 2018, a couple weeks later I received a letter needing more information. I was told it could take up to 3 months after submitting all the necessary documents. I completed all the requirements and had my HIMS AME submit the packet, it was sent FedEx on March 8, 2019. After a couple months I started calling OKC at least twice a week. Needless to say I am still waiting, have talked to a lady in Washington a couple times but the response has been the same for a couple months now, (it is with the Federal Air Surgeon). It may take several times to get through to OKC but keep calling, ask them to transfer you to DC and leave them a message.

The FAA teaches you to have patience, I took my initial medical in December 2018, a couple weeks later I received a letter needing more information. I was told it could take up to 3 months after submitting all the necessary documents. I completed all the requirements and had my HIMS AME submit the packet, it was sent FedEx on March 8, 2019. After a couple months I started calling OKC at least twice a week. Needless to say I am still waiting, have talked to a lady in Washington a couple times but the response has been the same for a couple months now, (it is with the Federal Air Surgeon). It may take several times to get through to OKC but keep calling, ask them to transfer you to DC and leave them a message.
You’ve been waiting for 11 months and they haven’t told you anything? Not even where it is in the stack? That’s ****ing absurd.

And the fun thing is if FAA ever does issue, it will be dated from the original exam
They really are the biggest pieces of ****. Every one of those doctors that work there are scumbags and should be fired and blacklisted from working anywhere else.

Not the same thing but my dad got his first class medical deferred like 2 years ago and was out for 8 months. The AME cleared him after 2 months but he was just waiting for the FAA to do paperwork.

I guarantee that if a family member of a US senator or representative had to go thru the special issuance process that their medical would be issued in under 3 months. Of course if you’re a low ranking tax payer that doesn’t have any powerful friends you get treated like crap because that’s how the faa does it’s business.

Actually got through on the phone to Oklahoma City (most of the time their phone system says 'call back later' and hangs up automatically) today, 2/27/2020. Talked to 'Ron' - he said they take applications (for SI) in the order received [must be a pretty big pile of 'em!]. Said that he would add a note to my case that I had called (but implied that that wouldn't make any difference). He said the multi-month wait (without specifying how many) was 'the new normal'. Sigh. At least I can still fly my R/C models (until the FAA's remote ID makes that illegal !)

An additional bit of data.....

I have SI's for OSA and Diabetes Type 2 (pill controlled).

When BasicMed became available, I switched to that. My existing SI's were still good.

October 30, 2019, I saw my AME for a 2nd Class medical and was given the certificate as I left the office. My existing SI's had two years before expiration.

Two days ago, there was an envelop in my mailbox from AMCD in Oklahoma City. Inside was my updated SI authorizations.

So about 3.5 months between seeing the local AME and receiving updated SI authorization.

Ron is one of the good guys over there, so is David. Tyler is pretty good too. It did take 3 months for them to review my SI application. Then they wanted more tests and information. That took me another month and 10k, and now it has been back in their hands for 45 days. And so I wait...

Last edited:
Bradm2019,

Now that it’s been over a year, have you heard anything back from the faa?

Update:
Just received notice, through Pilot Medical Solutions, that my 'SI' has been approved !

Overall time line: (may be of interest to others pursuing the same)

Signed up with PMS November of 2018
Started gathering medical records December 2018
Completed gathering all needed records (per PMS direction) late July 2019
Saw AME mid-August 2019, with deferral submitted to FAA August 19th
FAA OKC looked at my application ~ August 25th, said they needed more info.
Contacted PMS ~ August 30th, said 'get my records there' (since they had everything)
FAA OKC gets info they wanted mid-September 2019, starts the review process
Made a few phone calls, to Great Lakes RFS (who said they'd e-mail OKC after 4 months waiting); once to OKC - waste of breath and time?
Received notice of approval April 9th 2020 (for 1 year, starting from September 2019!)

-------------------------------------------------
Now, for this quarantine to end - to get back to flying!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back