Chevy Volt

Sounds like a good trip to make by airplane! KOJC-KGCK would be under 2 hours in the Mooney...
Yeah, about 3 days in the Musketeer.

In KS, with the planes I fly, a good estimate is flight time is generally 1/2 drive time.

OJC-GCK is one of the few trips by plane in this State where you can really save a LOT of time by air. Most of the rest of the state is connected by straight line interstates with 75mph speed limits, it's the car equivalent of direct-to. Driving to the airport and preflighting eats into the time savings, but going diagonally by car ftom NE to SW doesn't work so well because "you can't get there from here" and flying gains a lot.

Well, I've had my Volt for a few months now, so time for a PIREP, right?

In general, as a car, without paying attention to the drivetrain or other tech: Meh. It's a GM product, so my expectations are pretty low, and it meets them. ;) Speaking of low, this car is definitely significantly lower to the ground than either the i3 or the Fusion Energi. I think it might even be lower than my Volvo S60 was. As a tall guy, I have to stick my butt in first, duck my head (chin to chest), and slide back until my head clears the door frame. Once inside, though, headroom is good and seating is mostly comfortable.

Non-drivetrain-related tech: It has decent lane departure, front collision, etc. warnings. They do a pretty good job of not setting off nuisance alerts. It's even done pretty well in spite of the winter weather and having everything coated in salt. The big disappointment is that the main tech thing I like, the ability to start/unlock/lock the car from a smartphone app, runs through OnStar, and my experience there has not been good. I hit the button when I first got the car and they set me up with the 30-day free trial with all the features, and it was great. Then, when the 30 days was up and I went to sign up for the remote access only plan, I couldn't do it online for some reason, and when I hit the button in the car to call them up and do it with a person, we got through the whole process and they asked if I wanted to put it on the MasterCard I had on the account. Slight problem: I don't have a MasterCard! And when they read off the name from the card, it was the name of the previous owner that I'd seen on the title! :eek: So that's a little scary that they don't remove any of the credit card information when putting a new person onto the car... And for whatever reason, they have been unable to detach the car from its prior owner, so here we are almost two months later and they still haven't been able to turn my service on! I call back in every couple of weeks, and every time it's "We need tech support/the database guys to take care of this, it'll be 4-6 days" and lather, rinse, repeat. OnStar sucks. :(

EV aspects:

The GOM (that's Guess-O-Meter, which is what we call the remaining range readout on most EVs) generally reads high 20s-low 30s and seems to be pretty good at its guess, though it doesn't seem to make any adjustment when cabin heat is turned on or off. I think the absolute worst range I've actually gotten on a full charge was in the mid-20s, and I've also gotten one in the high 30s despite the cold temps. It'll be interesting to see what happens in a couple of months when we get back into the 60s to see whether its rated range is still there on an older car (this one is a 2013 with about 93000 miles on it).

Performance is OK, pretty much what I expect from something that has two slightly-underpowered powertrains and has to haul them both around.

Another thing that happens in the cold: If it's less than 15ºF out, the engine will come on. I think this is for the battery thermal management system. It pretty much just warms itself up at a medium idle for a while, and I've seen it cut out briefly a couple times once it's warm. It doesn't use much gas in this mode, and it does seem to extend the range a bit, but it's a little weird to me, and I'm not a fan of engines running in the first place so there's that. Knowing what it's there for, it doesn't bother me too much.

Charging is kinda slow. These gen-1 Volts (2015 and prior model years) only have a 3.3kW onboard charger, about 14 amps on 240V. My home EVSE is a 40-amp, 10kW unit, so it's not even breaking a sweat. Charge time from empty to full is about 3.5 hours, though of course it tapers off at the end:

IMG_D6271E888168-1.jpeg

The bottom line: It's decent for what it is: A cheap way for me to wait until I can afford a Tesla. <ahem> A plugin hybrid with good battery range. ;)

Slightly dated: https://www.theguardian.com/environ...minute-in-subsidies-says-imf?CMP=share_btn_tw
Basically, oil/gas gets $200 Billion a year in tax breaks/subsidies. EVs get $2 Billion. Effectively 1% of the same level.

Tim

Heavy sigh.

Words have meanings, and different tax treatments are not "subsidies." Never have been, never will be.

In order to consider tax treatment as a "subsidy," you must first accept the notion that the money belongs to the government, and that the government allows you to have some of it. This, notwithstanding the ever-increasing tendency of bureaucrats and members of congress to act as if it were thus, is not so.

Heavy sigh.

Words have meanings, and different tax treatments are not "subsidies." Never have been, never will be.

In order to consider tax treatment as a "subsidy," you must first accept the notion that the money belongs to the government, and that the government allows you to have some of it. This, notwithstanding the ever-increasing tendency of bureaucrats and members of congress to act as if it were thus, is not so.

Yes, and we have debated this before. And one day you will stop tilting at this windmill or change your mind.

Anyway, there are a few fairly standard definitions of subsidy.
1. Used by most tax payers: Direct money paid by the government to an individual or a company.
2. Used by most politicians: Money, or regulations which lower the costs to an industry or increase the revenue for an industry. Most common example, ethanol fuel requirements and farm aid. It both mandates an expansion of the usage (raises revenue) and farm aid also directly pays farmers (mostly large ag companies last I looked) to lower production price (an attempt to make the price hit of the required ethanol at the pump less painful).

The second definition is used by economists, accountants, the CBO, and most academic white papers and studies. For example, here is one from the UN: http://www.fao.org/3/y4446e/y4446e0l.htm

If the government needs 100 bucks to run; and proceeds to reduce its revenues by not taxing some industry or group; the government must raise taxes on others to make up the shortfall. Hence, the industry with the tax break is subsidized by the rest of us.

Tim

[snip]
If the government needs 100 bucks to run; and proceeds to reduce its revenues by not taxing some industry or group; the government must raise taxes on others to make up the shortfall. Hence, the industry with the tax break is subsidized by the rest of us.

Tim

Except with our government, they just keep borrowing. So whomever gets benefits exceeding their taxes are being subsidized by our children.

Except with our government, they just keep borrowing. So whomever gets benefits exceeding their taxes are being subsidized by our children.
Lmao. So true

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Well, I've had my Volt for a few months now, so time for a PIREP, right?

In general, as a car, without paying attention to the drivetrain or other tech: Meh. It's a GM product, so my expectations are pretty low, and it meets them. ;) Speaking of low, this car is definitely significantly lower to the ground than either the i3 or the Fusion Energi. I think it might even be lower than my Volvo S60 was. As a tall guy, I have to stick my butt in first, duck my head (chin to chest), and slide back until my head clears the door frame. Once inside, though, headroom is good and seating is mostly comfortable.

Non-drivetrain-related tech: It has decent lane departure, front collision, etc. warnings. They do a pretty good job of not setting off nuisance alerts. It's even done pretty well in spite of the winter weather and having everything coated in salt. The big disappointment is that the main tech thing I like, the ability to start/unlock/lock the car from a smartphone app, runs through OnStar, and my experience there has not been good. I hit the button when I first got the car and they set me up with the 30-day free trial with all the features, and it was great. Then, when the 30 days was up and I went to sign up for the remote access only plan, I couldn't do it online for some reason, and when I hit the button in the car to call them up and do it with a person, we got through the whole process and they asked if I wanted to put it on the MasterCard I had on the account. Slight problem: I don't have a MasterCard! And when they read off the name from the card, it was the name of the previous owner that I'd seen on the title! :eek: So that's a little scary that they don't remove any of the credit card information when putting a new person onto the car... And for whatever reason, they have been unable to detach the car from its prior owner, so here we are almost two months later and they still haven't been able to turn my service on! I call back in every couple of weeks, and every time it's "We need tech support/the database guys to take care of this, it'll be 4-6 days" and lather, rinse, repeat. OnStar sucks. :(

EV aspects:

The GOM (that's Guess-O-Meter, which is what we call the remaining range readout on most EVs) generally reads high 20s-low 30s and seems to be pretty good at its guess, though it doesn't seem to make any adjustment when cabin heat is turned on or off. I think the absolute worst range I've actually gotten on a full charge was in the mid-20s, and I've also gotten one in the high 30s despite the cold temps. It'll be interesting to see what happens in a couple of months when we get back into the 60s to see whether its rated range is still there on an older car (this one is a 2013 with about 93000 miles on it).

Performance is OK, pretty much what I expect from something that has two slightly-underpowered powertrains and has to haul them both around.

Another thing that happens in the cold: If it's less than 15ºF out, the engine will come on. I think this is for the battery thermal management system. It pretty much just warms itself up at a medium idle for a while, and I've seen it cut out briefly a couple times once it's warm. It doesn't use much gas in this mode, and it does seem to extend the range a bit, but it's a little weird to me, and I'm not a fan of engines running in the first place so there's that. Knowing what it's there for, it doesn't bother me too much.

Charging is kinda slow. These gen-1 Volts (2015 and prior model years) only have a 3.3kW onboard charger, about 14 amps on 240V. My home EVSE is a 40-amp, 10kW unit, so it's not even breaking a sweat. Charge time from empty to full is about 3.5 hours, though of course it tapers off at the end:

View attachment 72137

The bottom line: It's decent for what it is: A cheap way for me to wait until I can afford a Tesla. <ahem> A plugin hybrid with good battery range. ;)

One year this month for my 2012. Overall satisfied with the product but I see a used Tesla S will be in the future.

Even as a short guy, it’s kind of a pain to get in and out of. In order to get a good view over the hood, I have to pump the seat up, which makes getting out problematic. Visibility out is horrible especially with the left front pillar blocking so much. I like the over design of the interior. The displays are nice, if not a little bit busy and the hard keys aren’t that hard to adjust to but vis is lacking.

Ride is comfortable and accel is satisfactory. A few squeaks here or there (back suspension) but overall quiet. Should’ve reduced the gap between the back hatch where it meets the roof though. Above 55, it’s creates a bit of wind noise. I put a piece of black electrical tape over it (as a test) and it made a noticeable difference. Don’t care for the brakes at all but that’s more of a regen issue than quality. Had the same issue on my Ford C-Max when I had it. Volt is a little worse though.

I fill up about once every 2 months. 62 miles round trip to work so most days (today) I’m all electric. Equates to about $1.20 to drive that 62 miles. 2011-12, the engine will come on below 28 degrees. Not usually an issue in my area though. After a year, engine oil is still at 80% life but I’m a believer in at least changing it annually vs the 2 year Chevy recommendation. Probably get in changed at just over a year in Apil or May. Did the 5 year coolant (pain) last year and the 60,000 mile xsmn oil change while I was at it.

Just waiting on the right green metallic Model S to come along.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...2&pm=1&ds=0&t=1548777285000&ver=0&cspheader=1

Last edited:
I've got a gen 2 Volt (2016) which I bought new and it's been a great vehicle. No problems at all with it. Averaging 65 miles per charge and the few times I've used the engine it's gotten in the low 40s on mileage on regular unleaded. I use non ethanol since the engine is not used very often. I has a neighbor come by 3 weeks back asking questions about it. I let him drive it and he immediately went out and bought one. They are great cars and would have been a great deal more successful if Chevy had done even a minimal amount of marketing. IMO it's a better car than a Model S because of the flexibility of having an efficient engine while still having enough battery for 90+% of normal driving.

Visibility out is horrible especially with the left front pillar blocking so much.

Yes! It was bad in the i3 as well, I almost ran over a motorcyclist at a 4-way stop because I flat-out didn't see him - The bike fit entirely behind the A pillar, and when I started accelerating at the same time he did... Well, I never saw him until he hit the brakes and appeared in my passenger side window! :eek:

Don’t care for the brakes at all but that’s more of a regen issue than quality. Had the same issue on my Ford C-Max when I had it. Volt is a little worse though.

I just put mine in L and never hit the brakes for the most part... And when I do need to, it's just for the last little bit (5-10 yards at most) before the stop, so it hasn't bothered me. I drove the Fusion Energi the same way, but its regen wasn't as good so I needed the brakes more often.

Difference is, Don Quixote was delusional. I'm not.

(Edit: About THIS)

Well, one last PIREP on the Volt... It's gone.

Battery range in the worst cold of the winter was still a good 25 miles, though as I stated before, it runs the engine for a bit just to warm up the battery and that also helps with the cabin heat. During milder weather it'd make rated range and even better despite being driven mostly at 80ish mph on the highway for most of that.

Now, on to the ending of the story: The engine suffered a catastrophic failure recently. I actually thought I was on fire there was so much smoke coming out. I pulled over, the engine shut itself off (as it does when it's not needed for power) and the smoke stopped. I had been using "Hold" mode since I was on the highway, so I had about 12 miles of range left in the battery, which I used to drive it to a Chevy dealer. Unfortunately, it was not economically repairable.

However, it also wasn't meeting my mission. I started a new job in June that has me commuting 75 miles (round trip) each day, so even on a good day I'd make it to work and maybe the first few miles of the trip home and then I'd be burning gas anyway. After looking at all the options (including quite a few plain ol' gas vehicles), and even considering a Gen 2 (2016+) Volt for its longer electric range, I got a new Chevy Bolt. More on that here.

I'm not sure how I missed this thread before, I have a 2015 Volt that I am rather fond of.

Can you give more details on how the engine failed? Was it covered under warranty? I haven't heard of many engine issues other than EGR problems on 2012/13 models,m I would be curious to know if this is a fluke or a persistent issue with Gen2s.

Can you give more details on how the engine failed? Was it covered under warranty? I haven't heard of many engine issues other than EGR problems on 2012/13 models,m I would be curious to know if this is a fluke or a persistent issue with Gen2s.

Well, aside from the aforementioned thought-I-was-on-fire incident before I shut it down, the #2 cylinder had zero compression and there was oil all over the place... At that point, it was going to need serious work and the quote I got for said work was most of what I originally paid for the car.

I got a lot of crap on the Volt forum on Facebook for not buying an engine from a junkyard and replacing it myself, but I don't have a cherry picker or any other specialized tools, nor the skill, nor the garage space, nor the time for such a project. Someone else can resurrect it if they so choose. It's likely in an auction lot somewhere by now...

@flyingcheesehead, yeah, this. What was the mode of failure, and how many miles did the car have on it at time of death?

109,000 miles on a 2013, so the only parts still under warranty were the batteries and electric motor/generators, which were fine. They're the reason I was able to drive it to a dealer instead of sitting on the side of the highway waiting for a tow truck.

@flyingcheesehead
You shoulda bought a Tesla!

I know. :( But I'm married and I'd like to stay that way! I'd love to live with my airplane someday, but right now I'm in an unheated hangar and that wouldn't be a great place to live. :rofl:

109,000 miles on a 2013

Sorry you got so few miles, to have an engine crap out at 109k is not good. Do other Volts exhibit early engine death? Makes me wonder if the infrequent running of the gas engine contributes to it's early demise. Kind of like when plane engines sit too long.

Wow, those stock prices are nuts! Everyone's talking, there's been a short squeeze, and lots of new investors buying.

Cool... But also indicates there will likely be a "correction" soon.

Sorry you got so few miles, to have an engine crap out at 109k is not good. Do other Volts exhibit early engine death? Makes me wonder if the infrequent running of the gas engine contributes to it's early demise. Kind of like when plane engines sit too long.

Well, it seems like you can get junkyard engines super cheap ($150-$175 I guess!), indicating they tend to *not* crap out. And this one didn't really sit that much - The previous owner did less than half of their driving on the EV side of things, and my 75-mile daily commute meant that I was running the engine every day as well. So, I think I was just unlucky.

Wow, those stock prices are nuts! Everyone's talking, there's been a short squeeze, and lots of new investors buying.

Cool... But also indicates there will likely be a "correction" soon.

Maybe. But people have been saying that virtually since the stock started its climb. And along the way the shorts have lost billions.

Oh, and if I had a time machine, I’d go back to November 2018 and NOT sell the 100 shares I sold then @ $350!

Back