2/22/2020 Southeast Peeps, come say goodbye (or hello) to The Grove

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
As some of you may know, Wilgrove (8A6) is shutting down soon (@TRocket posted about it here). They have just under 90 days before they put up a parking lot, or more ugly houses stacked on top of each other or maybe some crack houses, I dunno. Please let it be crack houses. Either way, The Grove is responsible for training several stunt pilots such as myself and TRocket and other psychopilots willing to land on a short sidewalk tucked between overgrown trees and a heaping pile of LLWS (you’ve been warned).

I was thinking if anyone wanted to meet up and say goodbye to the place, or if u haven’t been there before say your first and last hello, on Saturday 2/22. Maybe grab some pizza for lunch, take some pics, judge someone “landings”, maybe have a group pee on the runway (I hear it’s good luck)..... Something like a 12-2 kind of thing, or whatever.

Anyways, I’m not officially organizing anything, I’m just saying it would be cool to meet some peeps and say goodbye to another local GA airport while we still have the chance, and 2/22 has a bunch of 2’s in it so why not pick that date? Besides, this is a perfect opportunity to talk about having a little fly-in then never doing it, southeast PoA style. If you're in, lemme know what kind of pizza u like, I'll grab some pies.

Rain date is when it's not raining, or before The Grove shuts down for good, whichever comes first.

Have family near by ,will try to make it.

@eman1200 I'll pass the word to folks I know who aren't active in PoA. Thanks for the mention. I'll try to make it, even if I just drive down.

David

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’d be up for that!

My daughter is due to be born that very day. Wish I could make a landing there before it closes but no trips that far away until after the baby lands.
Have fun folks

My daughter is due to be born that very day. Wish I could make a landing there before it closes but no trips that far away until after the baby lands.
Have fun folks

Where r u located?

Have fun folks
give birth at the airport? That would make for a good conversation piece for your daughter ‘yeah I was born at 8A6...’

just sayin!

That would be real fun conversation, especially if the stress of the landing there induced the labor! We live in Tampa, FL.

I am a solid "maybe".
I'd be coming from either Altanta or Florida, so I may be able to give a ride to somebody, but it'll have to be a "we'll just see where I'm at" kind of thing.

Monday bump. Don’t worry, only 2 more of those.

Just on the east side of Charlotte, so not far from Atlanta. If the wx and the wife don't intervene, I could probably make it.

I'm a solid maybe also. It depends upon the weather, and how I feel about the Yankee (I haven't logged much time in it, and I want to feel a little better before upping the risk). If I feel confident about landing it on something that short, I'll give it a try.

I'll try to make it too. Dammit this sucks. Got my ticket there with JP back in 2006. Hopefully Alan makes out well after this.

I hate that I'm going to miss this. 8A6 was my first instructor gig back in 2003!

Just saw this. Even though I was tagged I didn't get a notice in my email. Hmmm...the plane weirdly isn't scheduled that day. I'll book it and see how many commit. Almost 10 committing or semi-committing depending on weather, etc.

Where would be a good place to go to eat, and how will we get there if we're all flying in? :D

I hate that I'm going to miss this. 8A6 was my first instructor gig back in 2003!

you probably won't miss much of an 'event', there might be a couple of us hanging around but it's nothing official. it'll just be one of the last times you'll have the chance to fly in there. are u still in the area? I'll add u to the southeast list of peeps.

Just saw this. Even though I was tagged I didn't get a notice in my email. Hmmm...the plane weirdly isn't scheduled that day. I'll book it and see how many commit.

Where would be a good place to go to eat, and how will we get there if we're all flying in? :D

yeah the notifications don't work well on xenforo, it notifies random people on the list but not everyone.

as for going somewhere to eat, I was just gonna bring a coupl'a large pies. again, this is nothing formal, just letting people know if they want to stop by one more time, this might be a good time to do it.

...as for going somewhere to eat, I was just gonna bring a coupl'a large pies. again, this is nothing formal, just letting people know if they want to stop by one more time, this might be a good time to do it.

If I'm gonna fly two hours you better have some good food there. :D

you probably won't miss much of an 'event', there might be a couple of us hanging around but it's nothing official. it'll just be one of the last times you'll have the chance to fly in there. are u still in the area? I'll add u to the southeast list of peeps.

I live in Rock Hill. I haven't flown since 2009, though. But, yeah.....add me to the list!!

I'm all in, and looking forward to it. Going to make the long flight from SVH...planning my fuel stop now...

Back