Campsite airports in CA?

Peter Ha

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Leadpan
Hey folks,
Looking for recommendations of CA airports within walking distance of campsites. :)

Peter, there is a great airport with a campground on site in Columbia, CA (O22). It's in the foothills of the Sierra Mountains about due east of San Francisco. The campground is probably the best I've seen at an airport. More like camping at a state park (trees, camping facilities, etc.). It's less than a mile walk from the airport/campground to Columbia's downtown which is a historic gold-rush era mining town so it has a lot of historic buildings from that era (like Tombstone, AZ if you've been there).

Oceano (L52) used to have camping right at the airport, and is within walking distance of the beach. Not sure what the situation is today, but check it out.

Another source is the RAF...

theRAF.org

E36 Georgetown and Columbia O22 have campgrounds at the field.

L54 (Agua Caliente) there's a park not too far away. The campground/park is closed in Summer, because, well, it gets a little warm out there.

0Q5 (Shelter Cove) is also campground-adjacent.

Lot's of great suggestions on this thread.. I'll refine some of what others have said with a little more commentary

there is a great airport with a campground on site in Columbia, CA (O22)
By far, this is the best one, in my opinion. There is a grass runway, a paved runway, gas, sometimes see cool fire fighting planes practicing, and a really great town walking distance to airport, plus a big reservoir for boating and stuff. The approach is also very pretty flying along just the western side of the Sierra Nevadas. 10/10

Oceano (L52)
It's a cool spot, but camping space is limited and you will occasionally get some homeless, or a little "riff raff" from the Pismo beach area. But the beach is walking distance, lots of cool dunes, and the SLO area is cool in general. Only catch it, it's often hazy or "marine layered" in.. so plan to arrive late in the morning and not to depart before 10am

Kern Valley
After Columbia O22 this is the second best. Really cool approach through the valley, fantastic camp ground, great hiking and rafting near by. Only cons, not much of a town, not much in walking distance

0Q5 (Shelter Cove)
Awesome spot.. but the weather is often hit or miss

L54 (Agua Caliente)
Cool spot but very desolate, and the "thermal hot springs" are just a run down swimming pool.. unless you hike way back into the canyons

Tehachapi has a great camp site, easy walk to the little town too. Great train watching. One of my favourites.

Back