Tesla Pickup Unveil

I got passed that one by promising to do a purple chrome wrap on my CyberTruck ;)
I think a chrome of some sort shall be mandator . I'm going to wrap mine like a Tron inspired truck. Neon on all the lines of the panels

I was impressed that GM (and Porsche and Hyundai) actually spent the money on a Super Bowl ad to advertise an EV.

The world is changing...

FWIW, at our small grass strip we have 3 Model 3’s, a Model Y and a Ford Lightning. And 3 CyberTruck orders, 2 for the AWD and 1 for the CyberBeast. Hoping for our AWD by the end of 2024. Extravagant to be sure, but at 74 - and probably 75 or more by the time we get ours - why the hell not? Probably the last truck we’ll ever buy.

The steer-by-wire is impressive, and with the right connection the CyberTruck can provide about 3 days of power hooked up to your house*, negating the necessity of a PowerWall or equivalent, or a home generator. Which is pretty cool!

* To be fair, so can the Lightning.

Last edited:
I really liked this review, apologies if already posted:

Lots of interesting facts.
It seems: First high production 48V system (love how he sent the how-to to all the automakers)
It seems: First fly by wire steering
800vdc battery system
Coefficient of drag between a Vayron and McClaren P1 - or in the top3 of vehicles to drive on the road daily
All wheel steer.

False:

First introduced a decade ago by Infiniti

Coefficient of drag between a Vayron and McClaren P1 - or in the top3 of vehicles to drive on the road daily
...top3 for ICE vehicles. The coefficient of drag is completely atrocious for an EV, in fact it's almost as bad as the Hummer EV.

Let's go easy on the whole 'wildly making **** up'.

Last edited:
I really dig it. I mean 75k isn’t bad for a truck these days and most aren’t even used as trucks. So if you are going to own an impractical vehicle just for the status of it why not go all out. I like that Tesla does their own thing and the rest of the industry be damned. No different than buying a corvette or some other exotic sports car or ultra luxury vehicle. Nobody will rationalize the purchase, just a status symbol and toy.

Have the specs changed too? Be pretty sad if its even 5% under what they were boasting.
Specs are pretty much aligned with the unveiling. Tri motor is a significant drop in range from 500 to 320 though. Price was the biggest difference. Over 50 % increase. Knew that was gonna happen.

Tesla feels like the state bird around here, so expecting to see a lot of these sideways refrigerators around me soon.

The 911 drag race was pretty amusing marketing. I imagine someone at Porsche has already filed a defamation something or other against tesla. :D

Has that happened with the other Tesla models? I’ve not been following the pricing, so I’ve no idea.
Yes. All of them (other than the very limited production original Roadster, 2,450 total sold).

I bought my car a bit over two years ago. The same spec car is $4,000 less expensive today.

I'm tempted to call it "DeLorean2".

Iunno, I like deloreans :) I assume there is a nonzero chance that Doc Brown or Marty might pop out of one and taunt some Libyans.

No such chance with this cybertruck. Just middle-aged man-tantrums at stoplights and the sensation that it is 1983 and I am playing a low-polygon count videogame and losing.

I bought my car a bit over two years ago. The same spec car is $4,000 less expensive today.
Bought my Model 3 Long Range just under 2 years ago. Same car is now about $6k cheaper AND qualifies for a $7,500 tax credit I didn’t get.

I think the S and X models are as much as $40k cheaper.

How is a 36% reduction in what is probably the most important spec “pretty much aligned”? Doesn’t sound very aligned to me…
Because the single motor matches the range estimate from 2019 and the dual motor actually exceeds the original estimate. When it’s all said and done, it’s pretty much a wash.

False:

First introduced a decade ago by Infiniti
I meant to write for an actual production vehicle. My bad. Since its looking like this thing will indeed be mass produced - what other production vehicles are on the road - today - with total fly by wire steering? Excluding all concepts, etc. I thought regulations didn't even allow this until very recently (like 2years or less). It seems the Q50 was like "this close" but still had a clutch included. Or maybe the cybertruck will have the same clutch.

I really liked this review, apologies if already posted:

Lots of interesting facts.
It seems: First high production 48V system (love how he sent the how-to to all the automakers)
800vdc battery system
All wheel steer.

Interesting. It didn't answer how cargo is accommodated. Is that tonneau cover auto stowing for large objects? Do you have to remove it and leave it someplace?

Interesting. It didn't answer how cargo is accommodated. Is that tonneau cover auto stowing for large objects? Do you have to remove it and leave it someplace?
In a video someplace I saw that it retracts up towards the cabin via a motor (not by hand). Wonder if they managed to get it water tight.

I learned one more thing. Obviously may not be a first but seems quite rare for full production. It seems they dumped canbus or at least the majority of it for good old etherenet. Musk basically said the elimination of many point to point canbus greatly reduced wiring and harness complexity. We do a lot of etherenet - would be interesting to see their design

For the record I have no intention of owning one (Cybertruck)

I think the Rivian is quite nice but has to be the least "tough" of any vehicle. While down in the Phoenix metro over Thanksgiving we saw (2) rivians being flatbed hauled. One must have been a 4x4 excursion gone bad as it was being towed out of the same area we were putting around in. Both front tires pointed inward so some steering hardware broke.

I've seen one like that up here in Minnesota.

In a video someplace I saw that it retracts up towards the cabin via a motor (not by hand). Wonder if they managed to get it water tight.

I learned one more thing. Obviously may not be a first but seems quite rare for full production. It seems they dumped canbus or at least the majority of it for good old etherenet. Musk basically said the elimination of many point to point canbus greatly reduced wiring and harness complexity. We do a lot of etherenet - would be interesting to see their design

For the record I have no intention of owning one (Cybertruck)

I think the Rivian is quite nice but has to be the least "tough" of any vehicle. While down in the Phoenix metro over Thanksgiving we saw (2) rivians being flatbed hauled. One must have been a 4x4 excursion gone bad as it was being towed out of the same area we were putting around in. Both front tires pointed inward so some steering hardware broke.

I've seen one like that up here in Minnesota.
To me the Rivian is pointless. At least Tesla strove to get the aerodynamics right. The Rivian could be a lot more compact and functional if they eliminated the needless faux engine bay.

I'm not opposed to owning an EV for local driving, and the Tesla truck does look intriguing after watching the video. But the cost and battery technology isn't quite there yet for my consideration. I do wonder about the costs. If you can charge for free it's a great deal, probably even considering battery replacement costs. But at least here electricity is expensive. It's far more expensive to heat the house with electricity than it is to heat it with gas. I would have to think that economics would be similar ICE vs. EV.

probably even considering battery replacement costs.
What battery replacement costs are you anticipating?

The battery warranty is 8 years/150,000mi on the Cybertruck. That includes the drive units (motors and associated components).

No reason to believe that a failure shortly after 150,000mi would be expected. Most batteries should last at least twice that. The Cybertruck has an improved 4680 battery with a design life of 1,000,000 miles. Just like engines and transmissions, there will be some premature failures but for how long after the warranty expiration would you expect to keep the truck?

Real-world degradation has run around 12% after 200,000 miles for the existing fleet.

The battery warranty is 8 years/150,000mi on the Cybertruck. That includes the drive units (motors and associated components).

No reason to believe that a failure shortly after 150,000mi would be expected. Most batteries should last at least twice that. The Cybertruck has an improved 4680 battery with a design life of 1,000,000 miles. Just like engines and transmissions, there will be some premature failures but for how long after the warranty expiration would you expect to keep the truck?

Real-world degradation has run around 12% after 200,000 miles for the existing fleet.

What were the claims vs real world data on these?

1701886556055.png

Attachments

• 1701886561971.png
    1701886561971.png
    143.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
That was one car. On his 4th battery after 1,200,000 miles. That's 300,000 miles per battery, and counting. That is consistent with the expected life of the newer 2170 cells.

The Model S has the original 18650 battery cells. The Model 3, and most Model Ys, have the improved 2170 cells with a design life of 300,000 to 500,000 miles. The Cybertruck have the newest generation 4680 cells with a design life of 1,000,000.

Real-world data is 12% degradation after 200,000 miles.

View attachment 123061

Early Model Ss have a high motor failure. Mine was replaced 4 years ago. Don’t know of anyone over 100K and is on their original motor, especially the single motor examples. I think the dual motors (small) are built better and the stress is divided between the two. Generally they fail though because of coolant leaks. Some say hard acceleration increases the likely hood of a seal leak. Rain has also been an issue with motor failures.

As far a battery failures, the Model S leads the pack (no pun) in that category as well. In fact, I’m on a FB page that’s nothing but Tesla battery failures. People report battery failures on a daily basis. Most are Model Ss. I’m on the original pack with 140,000 miles but I’m dreading waking up to the infamous BMS_u029 code…HV batt is about fail. That’s roughly $15K for a refurb and $20K new. Mine had the software “upgrade” in 2019 so hopefully I’m good for awhile.

It seems they dumped canbus
that Hagerty review video someone posted up thread included some pretty innovative features, the whole electrical architecture cuts down on the materials needed. I'm generally impressed by it and appreciate having some variety out there in the market..
I think the Rivian is quite nice but has to be the least "tough" of any vehicle.
That's what I love about it. Too many trucks have that 'I'M A TRUCK LOOK AT ME!' look which, fine, but an F150, Ram, or Silverado of today compared to a mid '90's body style looks nearly cartoonish in comparison. Toyota has gone more I'M ANGRY! look too but its a little more 'reserved'

In a weird way the Rivian to me has sort of a 'Honda Ridgeline's distant cousin' thing going on

It will be quite awhile before you see any of these electric trucks being used by a farmer. They can’t tow for any distance or haul much of a load before needing a charge. Would be good for a city truck though that doesn’t haul anything but groceries

It will be quite awhile before you see any of these electric trucks being used by a farmer. They can’t tow for any distance or haul much of a load before needing a charge. Would be good for a city truck though that doesn’t haul anything but groceries
Excellent point. But electric trains have been a thing since the late 1800's, and maybe there will be a way to make electric tractors practical with improved electrical distribution means.

Excellent point. But electric trains have been a thing since the late 1800's, and maybe there will be a way to make electric tractors practical with improved electrical distribution means.
Aren’t all major transport trains electric but run diesel powered generators for the electricity.

That covers about 95% of the trucks in the US, I reckon!

That’s true, unfortunately electric vehicles/tractors have no place at this time in a farming operation of any type.

Haven't you heard? If you manage to get an EV that doesn't spontaneously combust in the driveway, you will be saddled with a battery replacement every two years at a cost of at least two 70's era 172s. At least that is what ALL of the rhetoric is in MSM these days.

212 Miles while towing a 65oolb (I believe that was the weight) large trailer. You might want to rethink the comment on truck EVs

Tim

Haven't you heard? If you manage to get an EV that doesn't spontaneously combust in the driveway, you will be saddled with a battery replacement every two years at a cost of at least two 70's era 172s. At least that is what ALL of the rhetoric is in MSM these days.
You forgot that it takes 8 hours to charge and the chargers cost $20.00 per hour.

212 Miles while towing a 65oolb (I believe that was the weight) large trailer. You might want to rethink the comment on truck EVs

Tim
Still stand by my comment that they currently can not and are not used in farming.
On my current F150 driving highway speed not towing I can go over 700 miles before refueling, can’t do that in an EV.

Last edited:

Tim
While those aren't the worst numbers in the world, I would barely be able to tow my boat to the lake and back at that rate. Not a ton of places to grab a charge at the boat ramps, so if I needed a boost it's going to cut into my trip time. Last thing I want to do after I've been in the sun all day long is stop for another 30-45 minutes to grab a boost for the ride home. I think once they get the range up to around 300 miles while towing, they could draw a lot of serious truck buyers. I understand that my scenario doesn't discount people who will tow less weight or don't tow as far, but I feel like the 300-mile mark is what would equate an EV truck with my '08 F-150 gasser. That being said, my diesel Excursion won't likely be matched on towing range by an EV in my lifetime so I'm not sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for an EV towing vehicle.

One other drawback is that few chargers allow charging with a trailer attached. Hooking/unhooking a trailer to charge is a bit of a hassle, especially if a weight distribution hitch is involved. I expect more pull-through chargers in the future, but that’s the situation currently.

On that note, why isn't everyone trying to covert recreational boats to EV?

Or RV's for that matter. An RV with 4 tons of batteries would be awesome. You might make it to the closest campground to recharge for a week before the next leg.

Back