ADS B install. 1 337 or 2 ?

Scott MacMoyle

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Scott M
Im not an avionics installer but I am an IA. I installed a Garmin 335 in my Tiger and a tail beacon in my friends Tiger. For my 335 install I used the sample 337's from the FAA Technical Paper AFS-360-2017-1. It showed 2 337"s one for the install and one for the operation flight evaluation. The Tail beacon website also has a sample 337 which does it all with one 337. Anyone have any thoughts on this ? Im glad I dont do this for a living. I wouldnt make any money. I work too slow.

If you can do your OFE soon after install, I would put it all on one. I have done 6 in the past few months...some have been done on one 337. I agree about working slow....same here. :)

Anyone have any thoughts on this ?
FWIW: 1st, these are 2 completely different installs as the xspndr requires additional checks than the tailbeacon. But as a reference for a skyBeacon I put in, I used the FAA 2016 memo (vs the tech paper) and the skyBeacon docs as guidance and completed a single 337 for the install with a note for the ADS-B Operational Flight Evaluation. I signed a log entry for the install and made a separate log entry for the pilot to sign off the OFE check flight which included a PAPR ID ref. My 337 verbiage was a shortened version of the uAvionix 337 example. I seldom, if never, use a FAA example of a 337 entry as they tend to be very wordy. The IA signed with no issues. However, regardless if you're not a "avionics installer" as the IA you may want to have all this worked out prior to installing anything. In my experience, you have to disconnect between being the mechanic and the inspector.;)

either.....I've done a few. one was (2) and the others were (1).

Back