Getting current In IMC

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
I am two approaches short of currency. My options are go to the safety pilot under the hood by two approaches to get current verses with my instructor.
I was wondering are you able to fly those two approaches in IMC with a safety pilot who is IIFR rated and current?

I am two approaches short of currency. My options are go to the safety pilot under the hood by two approaches to get current verses with my instructor.
I was wondering are you able to fly those two approaches in IMC with a safety pilot who is IIFR rated and current?

Short answer, yes you can.

Can do the 2 in an approved simulator or training device. And you don’t even need a CFI to be there anymore.

Are you in or out of currency and how long?
Past 6 months but not 12. Only need 2 approaches. Normally would fly a couple under hood with safety pilot but weather tomorrow will be good smooth IMC with ceilings predicted to be Low but not spooky low. Good practice day if I was current.

Past 6 months but not 12. Only need 2 approaches. Normally would fly a couple under hood with safety pilot but weather tomorrow will be good smooth IMC with ceilings predicted to be Low but not spooky low. Good practice day if I was current.

Yeah that’s why I asked. Your options drop off rapidly once past the 6 months.

Many CFIs will have cancellations on a day like you describe tomorrow... and a sudden opening in their schedule... if they’re the sort who’ll fly in IMC...

Yeah that’s why I asked. Your options drop off rapidly once past the 6 months.

Many CFIs will have cancellations on a day like you describe tomorrow... and a sudden opening in their schedule... if they’re the sort who’ll fly in IMC...
My first lesson with the CFI I got in IFR with was in IMC. He would call me when it was crappy and ask if I could go up as it would be a great day to practice in the junk.

Not to be judgemental, but currency and competence do not necessarily go hand in hand.

Not to be judgemental, but currency and competence do not necessarily go hand in hand.
I totally get that. But I have missed a couple of great IMC days last few weeks due to not being current. I like to go train in the junk. Between a long annual and run of turbulent IMC I just got out of sync. Today was a bust as the ceiling hung too low with no good outs. So we bailed. Tomorrow is hopeful though.

Ended up today was a good day. Combo of some good work and IMC. Got a few in. Was cool to fly into a snow squall just start over the field on final. Went to more controlled airspace to work more on radios in the system do an ILS. Was needed! Going to spend a bit more time practicing at controlled fields. The radio work was rusty but that can be practiced on any day. Shooting RNAVs at uncontrolled fields under the hood doesn’t give you as much of that. Duly noted!!!

33C54C56-4B86-45AD-A6B6-1AB66E11D2DC.jpeg 522307A3-477E-4F8E-8BD7-AA4FF84DF2C5.jpeg

Back