Student doing preventative Mx

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
If the student who is training toward a private ticket owns the aircraft that is being used for flight training, can the student complete preventive maintenance and return it to service? I wouldn’t think they could, but if they’re under direct supervision of their CFI can they do it?

They can do the work but an A&P will have to be the one to approve it returned to service.

Preventative Maintenance does not require an A&P return to service.

But it does require:

(1) In addition to those persons listed in paragraph 3a, § 43.3(g), (h), and (i) authorize the holder of a pilot certificate issued under part 61 to perform preventive maintenance. Section 43.7 limits the privilege to persons holding at least a private or sport pilot certificate and § 91.407(a)(1) prohibits operation of the aircraft unless approved for return to service. Further, pilots may only approve for return to service preventive maintenance which they themselves have accomplished.

No private certificate, no authorization to return to service.

But it does require:

(1) In addition to those persons listed in paragraph 3a, § 43.3(g), (h), and (i) authorize the holder of a pilot certificate issued under part 61 to perform preventive maintenance. Section 43.7 limits the privilege to persons holding at least a private or sport pilot certificate and § 91.407(a)(1) prohibits operation of the aircraft unless approved for return to service. Further, pilots may only approve for return to service preventive maintenance which they themselves have accomplished.

No private certificate, no authorization to return to service.

Correct, I misread the post.

I remember this, yeah had to be a PPL I think.

Which also makes me ask if a sport pilot could even do a oil change under the FAR?

It is but as the FAR's state they need "at least" a Private or sport pilot certificate.
So what about the CFI performing any preventative maintenance tasks on behalf of the student/owners?

So what about the CFI performing any preventative maintenance tasks on behalf of the student/owners?

(30) The inspection and maintenance tasks prescribed and specifically identified as preventive maintenance in a primary category aircraft type certificate or supplemental type certificate holder's approved special inspection and preventive maintenance program when accomplished on a primary category aircraft provided:

(i) They are performed by the holder of at least a private pilot certificate issued under part 61 who is the registered owner (including co-owners) of the affected aircraft and who holds a certificate of competency for the affected aircraft (1) issued by a school approved under §147.21(e) of this chapter; (2) issued by the holder of the production certificate for that primary category aircraft that has a special training program approved under §21.24 of this subchapter; or (3) issued by another entity that has a course approved by the Administrator; and

(ii) The inspections and maintenance tasks are performed in accordance with instructions contained by the special inspection and preventive maintenance program approved as part of the aircraft's type design or supplemental type design.

roger.

that answers my question, thanks doc!

Back