Air Marshals and flight attendants

Benw

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Benw
Both require a second class medical correct? Because they are “required crew members”

is the exam the same for everyone?

Well I’m looking for other ways to get into the airline industry. Flying is out. So what about a flight attendant? Or maybe get into law enforcement. Being an Air Marshal sounds pretty cool

Well I’m looking for other ways to get into the airline industry. Flying is out. So what about a flight attendant? Or maybe get into law enforcement. Being an Air Marshal sounds pretty cool
can you remind us what is keeping from obtaining a flight medical? It might help those that participate in this thread provide you a higher quality response.

Flight attendants don't hold medicals (other than company required ones). Air Marshalls are a whole different game. They don't hold FAA medicals, but their hiring and training is fairly strenuous. And it's a very boring job.

Hydrocephalus, ADHD, low neuro-psych scores

I posted my story back in April, let me see if I can link to it.

talked to Dr Chien in April 2019, paid his fee,he couldn’t do anything for me due to low test scores.

so just trying to get something in aviation that pays

Also, everyone recommends gliders. I whole heatedly took that advice. I am trying to find an instructor that I can do consistent lessons with. It’s flying, it’s awesome, just not a career. But I can post a whole other thread about that (oh I have )

Have you tried lumosity to help your brain get used to the cog screen? Maybe you can brush up on the areas you didn’t do so well on and retake it.

Re: Air Marshall.

Something about flying from X to Boston, then Boston to Y then Y to JFK then JFK to Z and then Z to La Guardia and then again and again and again and again with Reagan and Dulles and a few others thrown in as well. Bless ya for keeping us safe. Doesnt sound fun though. And I think I can spot them up in first class so at least it's more comfortable.

Ya I’ve been trying Lumosity as well.

My thinking though, why spend 4K on the Cogscreen and do everything for the medical just to fly on the weekends. Gliders will give me the same “high” (no pun intended)

Also sport pilot is out, the 8500 was the first thing I signed when I turned 18. Promptly got deferred and denied. Stupid kids.

Have you tried lumosity to help your brain get used to the cog screen? Maybe you can brush up on the areas you didn’t do so well on and retake it.

Been doing lumosity
@PeterNSteinmetz your profile says you are a neuro-researcher, either neurology or neuropsychology. All research I can find On google says that lumosity is kind of laughed at in the industry because they don’t cite any literature to support cognitive improvement, their “experts” are not cited anywhere

Not to derail the thread, but it’s ok, it’s my thread lol

I have not looked into this issue of Lumonisity extensively, but did so a bit.

They make a lot of claims and don’t cite to the primary psychological literature, which is always a warning sign.

OTOH, there is a fairly well described set of improvements which occur in specific subdomains, like working memory, with some training tasks.

I thus suspect some of Luminosity’s games will help improve scores on some sub-tasks in the Cogscreen aero, though am not aware of any specific studies of their games in this regard. The anecdotal evidence on PoA supports this.

My thinking though, why spend 4K on the Cogscreen and do everything for the medical just to fly on the weekends. Gliders will give me the same “high” (no pun intended)

As I often note, I think gliders are a great way to learn how a set of wings and controls behave in the air, whether one goes on to powered flight or not. And soaring is a great sport.

You do have to essentially self certify for safety, but that involves you and your doctor and advisors making the judgement, rather than spending a lot of money trying to convince the FAA.

Like Doc said, no FAA medical. “Crewmember” is different than “Flight Crewmember” I have medcrew who are required crewmembers but they don’t hold an FAA. Company requires them to do a physical once a year though.

Last edited:
In this context, is "working memory" another term for short-term memory?

Short answer in this context - basically yes.

There are some differences when one does experiments on this by what is meant by those terms, and the distinction is somewhat muddled in the professional literature. Here is a chapter discussing this if people are interested - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2657600/

so just trying to get something in aviation that pays
That's funny right there. A&P mechanics don't need any kind of physical nor the ability to pass any other kind of medical related eval in most cases. The money isn't huge but you'll never go hungry either.

Both require a second class medical correct? Because they are “required crew members”

is the exam the same for everyone?

The FAA doesn't impose a direct medical evaluation on flight attendants. That is up to the airline to work out in their own policies. They will do this along with other training issues and issue a certificate of proficiency.
The only job outside the cockpit that requires a medical, to my knowledge, are air traffic controllers.

Similarly, the TSA has their own medical requirements to be hired as an air marshall. Air Marshalls are outside the purview of the DOT/FAA.

For example, the air marshalls (and often the flight attendants) are subject to alcohol and drug screening tests which pilots usually are not routinely. The pilots are handled (in the routine cases) by spot checks separate from the medical.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back