Wish we were flying the Bo, but . . . Going to S.A.

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
We are going to Peru and Chile next month. Flying commercial seemed to make the most sense for us. After all, we are not @Katamarino.

After flying Delta to Lima Peru, we will shuttle to Iquitos and take a 4 day 5 night river cruise down the Amazon on a small river boat (4 cabins). Then on to Santiago and then Puerto Arenas, Chile in Patagonia. We will be taking a boat tour to see penguins and we might take a helicopter tour to the Antarctic Circle. (yes, we have been reading about helicopter tours lately).

We have had our Hep A, Hep B, Yellow Fever and Typhoid shots (around $900 for each of us) and we still need $600 worth of booster shots. We also have malaria medication. We opted out of Rabies shots. They are expensive :eek:.

We have heard all the warnings about not eating any uncooked food or unbottled liquids. We are taking as much Deet and suntan lotion as we are allowed to carry on.

As I type this, I am starting to wonder WHY we are doing this, but I keep remembering that I told Leslie we would do something memorable for our 30th anniversary, and this is what she wanted.

My wife wrote a paper on Machu Picchu when she was 7 years old. It stayed with her forever, so we did a trip there for our 25th. Once there, we realized all the warning hype (altitude adaptation, mostly) was tailored to the least common denominator: old people on a canned tour that are out of shape. If you're not in that least common group for your trip, don't sweat it, just go and enjoy.

And meet the locals, absolutely the best thing we did was to truly interact with the locals.

Very cool, I've been to Punta Arenas, in fact I've flown (airlines) to King George Island on the Antarctic Peninsula from there. We boarded a small sailboat, toured the peninsula down to Palmer Station, then headed back to Ushuaia, Argentina, across the Southern Ocean. It was a memorable trip. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Yes, lots of penguins and other wildlife; also spectacular scenery.

Yep, Machu Picchu is not that high, just under 8,000’. Cusco is over 11,000’; which is where most of the Machu Picchu trips start. We went last year and had a great time. Then we went to Puno which is on Lake Titicac, the highest navigable lake in the world at 12,500’.

I’d love to go into parts of South America sometime. Lots of beautiful women around those parts too. Enjoy and keep us updated!

we will shuttle to Iquitos
I lived in Lima for 18 mos back in the 90s. I'm sure it's changed a lot but Iquitos was my favorite place to go along with Pucallpa. There's a pedestrian boulevard near the water SE of the Plaza del Armas about a block or so. There, you'll find a huge porcelain tiled open frame. It's right in front of a bar that used to start with an "A". Stand at the "star" in front of it and take a pic of the "framed" river area. That is the start of the Amazon River. Also by the Plaza is a metal building, Casa de Fierro. Makes for another neat pic. So said it was designed by Eiffel of the tower fame but turns out is was just a tourist story. And if you get a chance, take a mototaxi to the Belen market. Quite the interesting place.
We are taking as much Deet and suntan lotion
They have all that down there and cheaper/better. If you like seafood might try some ceviche which is "cooked" in lime juice vs over a flame. Some of the best I had was in Peru.
Then on to Santiago and then Puerto Arenas
Never made it down to Arenas but visited Puerto Montt a number of times to get away. Some of my best times were living in Peru and Bolivia and visiting the surrounding countries for 3 years. Always say I'm going to go visit..... Enjoy your trip!

Very cool, I've been to Punta Arenas
oops. It is Punta Arenas (not Puerto)
Once there, we realized all the warning hype (altitude adaptation, mostly) was tailored to the least common denominator: old people on a canned tour that are out of shape. If you're not in that least common group for your trip, don't sweat it, just go and enjoy.

And meet the locals, absolutely the best thing we did was to truly interact with the locals.
We aren't old (I'm only 67 and Leslie is 4 yrs younger), and we are in decent shape and we are not going to high altitudes. So we should be pretty safe.

We were told that we would be meeting a lot of locals and that it is appreciated if we bring the kids gifts. But we are not sure what to give them. Any suggestions?
They have all that down there and cheaper/better. If you like seafood might try some ceviche which is "cooked" in lime juice vs over a flame. Some of the best I had was in Peru.
Good to know.
Enjoy your trip!
Will do. Thanks.

if we bring the kids gifts. But we are not sure what to give them. Any suggestions?
Candy for the kids. I traveled with a pocket full all the time. Plus anything American. A trip to a Dollar Store for simple/cheap "items" goes far.

Sounds like my trips to Nicaragua. Idk what was in my vaccinations, but I was high as a kite afterwards.

Back