No ADS-B radar on Foreflight from GTX345.

Groundpounder

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Emerson Bigguns
For some reason, I can't get weather radar to display on Foreflight on my iPad when the data is from my GTX345. It just shows the hash marks with "no radar available". I can get it on my iPad from my Sentry, and my iPhone and another iPad show weather radar when fed by this GTX345, and so does the Garmin 530 in the airplane. I looked at all the settings in Foreflight, and couldn't see anything obvious. Anyone have a clue? I don't want to ask either Garmin or FF, I would imagine they will both point their finger at each other.

What antenna do you have? I understand from a local pilot that has a Garmin GTX345 that he had to change his antenna from the little ball and post version to a broader band antenna to receive the FIS-B information.

What antenna do you have? I understand from a local pilot that has a Garmin GTX345 that he had to change his antenna from the little ball and post version to a broader band antenna to receive the FIS-B information.

Antenna for what? And the 345 is getting the data, I just can't see wx radar on my iPad. It is getting traffic and all the other data just fine.

I had a similar problem after landing to pick up a friend and continue to our mutual destination. Upon engine restart, the GTX 345 transponder said it was not receiving position info from the GNS 430 (also no foreflight info). Shut off the master, and then it started working, any ideas?

Last edited:
Sounds like you are receiving 1090 and not receiving 978. I powered up a Stratux on my desk to take a few screen shots for you. In devices, you should see if you are connected. On the map page, top left on screen, it should show if you are receiving towers ....not likely on the ground...but it confirms if 978 is connected. Also you can see settings in detail . You did say you were getting traffic ? Most likely just 1090 traffic.

Attachments

• EF1EE35E-663A-430F-A41F-65DEF3F86252.png
    EF1EE35E-663A-430F-A41F-65DEF3F86252.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • 0854ABDA-1964-40E0-AF13-192005C64306.png
    0854ABDA-1964-40E0-AF13-192005C64306.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
  • A38399DF-750C-4165-8F53-65859548AC6B.png
    A38399DF-750C-4165-8F53-65859548AC6B.png
    138.7 KB · Views: 26
Sounds like you are receiving 1090 and not receiving 978. I powered up a Stratux on my desk to take a few screen shots for you. In devices, you should see if you are connected. On the map page, top left on screen, it should show if you are receiving towers ....not likely on the ground...but it confirms if 978 is connected. Also you can see settings in detail . You did say you were getting traffic ? Most likely just 1090 traffic.

I checked the "devices" tab, and it showed that I was connected to the 345 with no errors. And the data that I was missing was getting displayed on a iPhone, so the 345 is getting and disseminating the data, but its not showing up on my iPad.

Radar weather selected in FF is only conveyed over the Internet. It will hash out when in the plane, as only ADS-B data via 978mhz UAT will be available. If FF did not disable radar coverage, you would have 2 sources of weather displayed simultaneously.

Look at your map screen...top of page on left. It should display weather data...it shows no towers if you are out of range....you can see on my screenshot I am out of range, but I do not show hash marks because I am connected to Stratux...just no data to display. You get the hash marks when you have no connection...

This might not help, but try closing all apps running in the background on your ipad, power off and back on..It is worth a shot.

Last edited:
Look at your map screen...top of page on left. It should display weather data...it shows no towers if you are out of range....you can see on my screenshot I am out of range, but I do not show hash marks because I am connected to Stratux...just no data to display. You get the hash marks when you have no connection...

This might not help, but try closing all apps running in the background on your ipad, power off and back on..It is worth a shot.

It says "connex" up there, which means its talking to the GTX345. It also displays METARS, so its getting ADS-B data, just not showing radar for some reason.

I might reinstall FF and see if that helps.

I think most of the people replying missed your point that the FIS-B Nexrad is showing up on other devices, just not in Foreflight on your iPad, so there's no problem with the GTX 345 or with ADS-B reception.

I use Garmin Pilot on an Android, so I can't provide direct help, but if FF is similar to GP, there should be a status page that shows the times of recently-received data. See if it lists the last Nexrad date/time; if so, then it is making it to FF over Connext, and it's just a problem of convincing FF to display it. GP has lots of different weather options, and sometimes it's tricky getting the right one selected; maybe it's the same with FF.

Good luck! I love my GTX 345, and I hope you get yours working with your setup.

D

I think most of the people replying missed your point that the FIS-B Nexrad is showing up on other devices, just not in Foreflight on your iPad, so there's no problem with the GTX 345 or with ADS-B reception.

I use Garmin Pilot on an Android, so I can't provide direct help, but if FF is similar to GP, there should be a status page that shows the times of recently-received data. See if it lists the last Nexrad date/time; if so, then it is making it to FF over Connext, and it's just a problem of convincing FF to display it. GP has lots of different weather options, and sometimes it's tricky getting the right one selected; maybe it's the same with FF.

Good luck! I love my GTX 345, and I hope you get yours working with your setup.

D

I think so too, I stopped trying to correct them.

Thanks!

Radar weather selected in FF is only conveyed over the Internet. It will hash out when in the plane, as only ADS-B data via 978mhz UAT will be available. If FF did not disable radar coverage, you would have 2 sources of weather displayed simultaneously.
When connected to my Scout, if I select the Radar (Composite) layer in ForeFlight, I get the "Radar not available" hash marks on the map if it hasn't received the nexrad mosaic data yet.

When connected to my Scout, if I select the Radar (Composite) layer in ForeFlight, I get the "Radar not available" hash marks on the map if it hasn't received the nexrad mosaic data yet.

Radar both composite and lowest tilt is disabled by FF when in the plane or detached from the Internet.

Works for me :dunno:
IMG_1828.PNG

So it showing up via the 345 on another ipad, is the one not working older? Current version iOS? Im like you delete FF on that ipad and reinstall and I bet it will work.

Like I said, only because it hasn't yet received the nexrad data via FIS-B. It looks like this after it has:
IMG_0363.PNG

Another thing I am going to try is to delete the bluetooth pairing between the two devices, and then reconnect.

You might try a hard reset on your ipad. I have done mine several times when it was acting strange...just a thought.

I don't want to ask either Garmin or FF, I would imagine they will both point their finger at each other.

I wouldn't hesitate to contact ForeFlight support. They're really quite good and will help you with Garmin connection issues. Garmin, OTOH, would probably like you to be using their own EFB package. ;)

Incorrect. ForeFlight WILL use ADS-B radar sources (Stratus, Sentry, various Garmin gadgets) in flight, and it is NOT "2 sources of weather displayed simultaneously", it is always NEXRAD regardless of how it was transmitted to the device (Internet or ADS-B).

Radar both composite and lowest tilt is disabled by FF when in the plane or detached from the Internet.

Again, only partially correct here. Composite is what NEXRAD is and is available both over the Internet and via ADS-B. Lowest Tilt is disabled in the air because Lowest Tilt is not transmitted in the ADS-B data feed.

This. If you go to More->Devices->GTX 345 in ForeFlight while you're in the airplane and it's powered up, you should be able to get the list of when each weather product was last received. The nationwide radar is only updated every 15 minutes, regional radar more often. METARs are updated every 5 minutes. So, if you get airborne and start receiving weather info just after the NEXRAD is transmitted, it is likely that you will see METAR information displayed at least 10 minutes before you have the nationwide NEXRAD picture.

I went and tested it out today without changing anything and it worked fine.

Stupid electrons....

That would seem to indicate exactly what I'm saying above - You were trying to get radar before it had actually been transmitted to you.

This is one reason why it's a good idea to check the radar on the ground right after your runup, presuming you have a cellular connection, if you're flying in bad weather. At least you'll be able to figure out what's going on before you go airborne and potentially lose it for 15 minutes or more.

That would seem to indicate exactly what I'm saying above - You were trying to get radar before it had actually been transmitted to you.

It was displaying radar on the Garmin 530 and on my iPhone, so it had been transmitted already. It was some sort of connection issue between my iPad and the 345.

Back