Phoenix Contract Student pilot wanna have flight without log it into log book.

Yes, really. It's most likely they have a limit on their purse, not on his time, no matter how he wrote it.

If that were the case, why try to hide it by attempting to find a CFI that will not log the training?

The OP has to do more than “show...his TSA credentials”. There needs to be a TSA training request/authorization specific to the flight school. More than likely that’s going to be the show stopper.

Oh, that is a complication.

I just now looked up the AOPA page explaining how to get authorization
https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilot...s-and-non-us-citizens-seeking-flight-training
and the TSA page
https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/home

It's clear that the student and the school both have to use the TSA website to apply for approval for instruction.

And it's clear that it's possible for the student to switch from one school to another by submitting a new training request to the TSA. Excerpt:

Once a training request has been submitted and accepted or rejected by a provider, you cannot transfer or reuse the training event request.
  • If you have submitted a training request and later make a decision to train with a different provider, you will need to submit a new training request.
  • Your previous flight training provider committed to comply with TSA regulatory reporting and recordkeeping requirements by accepting your previous training event request. That is why your training request is non-transferable.

But it's unclear whether the student can have two simultaneous training requests, to provide authorization at two schools simultaneously. (For the purpose of preventing another 9-11, it wouldn't make much sense for the TSA to block someone from getting instruction from more than one place at a time, but not everything they do makes sense, so who knows.)

Edit: the TSA page has contact info. Maybe the OP can just contact them, to ask the specific question, is it allowed to have training approved at two locations simultaneously.

Questions or problems? Contact the AFSP Help Desk at AFSP.help@dhs.gov. Allow at least five (5) business days for a response.

The AFSP Help Desk phone line, (571) 227-1004, is not staffed. Allow seven (7) or more business days for a response.​

Last edited:
"Uncomfortable with short field landings", sounds like a non issue to me. What are you uncomfortable with?

Troll................

Perfect candidate for the 737 MAX

I'm very confused
(A) what is a "contract student"
(B) why would there be a limitation on how much training you can receive?

10 hrs flying is not a small deficit, different story than "just need an hour or two with another pilot to hone my technique"

I'm lost, sorry, can't help.
He is Chinese. He signed a contract with an airline to be a pilot. They pay all the bills. If he doesn’t meet standards at certain points in training he gets to be a baggage handler until he is 80 years old. He is worried about short field landings. He wants to pay for additional training that is not logged to ensure he passes his evaluation.

He is Chinese. He signed a contract with an airline to be a pilot. They pay all the bills. If he doesn’t meet standards at certain points in training he gets to be a baggage handler until he is 80 years old. He is worried about short field landings. He wants to pay for additional training that is not logged to ensure he passes his evaluation.
Got it. Thanks. Seems like an odd way to teach a student to learn to fly, and would (potentially) suggest that if the training program cannot sufficiently teach the candidate the required curriculum work in the allotted course time then either the training, or the student, is deficient

If I lived in Phoenix I'd consider going up for a few flights. Often times just flying with a different pilot, even if not a CFI, is not a bad way to get some additional experience (assuming said pilot is proficient). I always appreciate my safety pilot time

I had a CFI once tell me to treat every landing as a short field.. it's a good skill to know as the time you will need it may very well be an emergency, so might as well get good at it.. there are many out there who brag that they're "off by the first taxiway" - granted if you'll be flying large commercial jets the "short field" technique you learn in a 172 will have limited value

Good luck to the OP

And then there are foreign students here on a visa that are taking their sweet time to avoid going back.

Got it. Thanks. Seems like an odd way to teach a student to learn to fly, and would (potentially) suggest that if the training program cannot sufficiently teach the candidate the required curriculum work in the allotted course time then either the training, or the student, is deficient...

The Chinese have a very different way of looking at the world compared to western societies.

The Chinese have a very different way of looking at the world compared to western societies.
Maybe so, but time limits on training are not uncommon in the U.S., either. You just don’t hear about it as much at the Private Pilot level, since most students are paying for their own training.

And then there are foreign students here on a visa that are taking their sweet time to avoid going back.
I frequently hear this from the instructor cadre at a local "Asian student heavy" 141 school. Most are grateful for the opportunity and apply themselves and progress. But then there are those who get here, get started, and then lose their motivation.

Back