Aircraft Spruce

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Has anyone actually visited one of their store/warehouses? What are they like? If you want to get something do you have to order it ahead of time and then pick it up at a window or do they actually have a store where you can pick out just about everything?

I'm thinking of making a trip to DuPage to check out the Midwest Aircraft spruce, maybe pickup a new landing light while I'm there.

Just left the AK store a few minutes ago. I order and pay online and they have the order in will-call when I walk in. Very convenient.

Has anyone actually visited one of their store/warehouses? What are they like? If you want to get something do you have to order it ahead of time and then pick it up at a window or do they actually have a store where you can pick out just about everything?

I'm thinking of making a trip to DuPage to check out the Midwest Aircraft spruce, maybe pickup a new landing light while I'm there.

In Aircraft Spruce East, they have a 75' x 100' showroom backed by a 100,000 SF warehouse (sizes are my guesses). In the showroom, they have headsets, books, cleaning supplies, some oil and filters, jackets, shirts, toys, a few common tools, etc. Pretty much the stuff anyone might walk by and say "I want one of those". In the back, they have the shelves with all of the sized and specialty stuff - tires, tubes, nuts, bolts, magnetos, steel tubing, aluminum sheet, starters, wood, the wood shop, etc. If you know the counter guy ("my" counter guy retired a few years ago, and passed away recently - great guy) and ask, they will let you look around the back, but there isn't a lot to see.

Personally, if I have nowhere to go on a Saturday, I'll fly down to Spruce East, walk to the store, and pick up the $8 of stuff I need, rather than having it mailed.

Sounds like Corona is similar to the above East Coast store. I can show up, they have a token showroom and the will-call desk. They'll help me find what I need and fish it out of the back for me. I pay and leave.

It's a dangerous thing to be based close to that place. :D But I miss it dearly. Nothing like slightly tweaking some obscure and barely identifiable piece of hardware, and rather than try to re-use or identify, locate, and order -- you can just drop it on their counter and ask those dudes to find you another one.

:)
The Midwest store is as described above. I’ve been to both DPA and FFC. Showrooms are relatively small but the warehouse behind has most everything you could want.

You may already know but the DPA store isn’t walking distance from DPA regardless of how it looks on the map. Not sure if they have courtesy cars at the FBO but Uber works okay in the area. Or if I’m off I could pick you up and swing you over there and get my first 180 ride all at the same time. :)

Flying cross country California to Chicago, I needed a new oxygen system flying home. The Chicago area store just opened. They were the only place I could find in the Chicago area with tank kits in stock. I was surprised the Aerox system was $90 cheaper in the store. Had to do with haz mat fees for free shipping that was not necessary with the in store pick-up. Small showroom, with a large warehouse. So wish there was an Aircraft Spruce in my backyard in Northern California.

They are 3 mins from Dupage Airport. Nice people and friendly service.

midweststore1.jpg

chicago-warehouse3.jpg

chicago-warehouse1.jpg

I have reasons to be in the vicinity of the Corona shop fairly frequently, and stop in to pick stuff up and save shipping. It's moved a lot of the homebuilding stuff into the back within the past few years, replacing it with mostly clothing, but they still have what you need in the back, whether you knew you needed it or not. Added bonus in Corona, the Spruce shop is across the street from the Fender factory.

Nauga,
guitars, not cars

Sure would be nice to place an order on line and pick it up as a will call.

Sure would be nice to place an order on line and pick it up as a will call.
There's an option for will-call under shipping address when you place an order. I usually place a will-call order online then drive over. I tell them I'm there and they pull the order while I browse and get a few more things.

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 8.53.07 PM.png

Nauga,
who learned that carrying a new ELT through airport security does not inspire confidence in his fellow travelers

In Anchorage we have Airframes, Stoddards, Seaplanes North, Aero Twin, Northern Light Avionics, Merril Field Instruments...

In Palmer there's Glacier Air Parts and Airframes.

In Wasilla Aircraft Spruce and Sky Air Parts.

Choice is good!

Looks like I need to fly to FFC

If you do, there is an active chapter of the CAF on the field. They have something of a museum and have a half dozen flying aircraft. Everything from an L-16 through a Dauntless, Mustang, Corsair, AT-6, and several Tora Tora birds. A worthwhile visit and they always seem to welcome visitors.

Just a heads up, if you fly to KFFC for Spruce east, they aren't really "on the field".

You have to park at the FBO and call Spruce for a ride.

Just a heads up, if you fly to KFFC for Spruce east, they aren't really "on the field".

You have to park at the FBO and call Spruce for a ride.

Its a half mile walk. I need the exercise. ;-)

I've been to the Corona store a few times, and the wait for them to pull items has been long and tedious. Went the will-call route once, and even then there was a 15-minute wait on something I expected to already be at the counter. Conversely, mail order works beautifully, shipping is cheap through USPS and it's two days max to reach my house.

I do like going there to buy things that are readily accessible on the shelves and/or are heavier and costlier to ship, e.g. cases of 20W-50 and oil filters. Corona airport is right around the corner, so that's my breakfast or lunch stop.

We visited the East store a while back. My wife needed a new headset so we figured why not just fly over from KBHM. it was a fun experience. Bought a new headset and handheld radio as backup.

Been to the one at KFFC/Peachtree City a few times. Nothing spectacular. Was actually a little disappointed. I thought the showroom would be bigger and have more stuff. But like others said, that's just the front to a big warehouse.

At the West Chicago store, they let me walk back with them and picked the parts. Super nice people. Had to bite a knuckle to hold back the impulse buy walking the warehouse isles.

I am in NJ and stuff that is in Harrisburg PA gets to me really fast. My only gripe is that the shipping prices seem a bit high and they charge sales tax. If sportys has it I will buy it from them first. I also have used there price match garanty a few times. Put a link in the comments section of your order showing where you found it cheaper and they will honor it. They got lots of my money over the years.

I am in NJ and stuff that is in Harrisburg PA gets to me really fast. My only gripe is that the shipping prices seem a bit high and they charge sales tax. If sportys has it I will buy it from them first. I also have used there price match garanty a few times. Put a link in the comments section of your order showing where you found it cheaper and they will honor it. They got lots of my money over the years.

I bought my Bose A20 from Sporty's for that very reason even though Aircraft Spruce is only 30 minutes away. Spruce charges sales tax and Sporty's doesn't.

Spruce in AK has become a three times a week stop on my way home. No shipping charges for will call orders. Great service. I live in the land of airplane parts stores and Spruce has been a very welcome addition. I'll stop by later to pick up another hardware order.

Back